Here's a quickie:
Given our new rapidly accelerated plan, we're thinking we should just give this everything we got a la Puffer. No caffeine, no processed foods (these are nothing new), no alcohol (bummer!), and... pineapple? What else? I know everyone has their theories about food & supplements.
I am veggie, but eat a lot of protein ion the form of legumes and eggs. I take prenatals, folic acid, B6, B12, DHA and flax seed oil, plus a little calcium-plus-D. Any thoughts? suggestions? Bring 'em on!
I've heard....making your body more alkaline helps. Sperm survive longer in an alkaline environment. That means things like tomato, avocado, lots of green veggies. Who knows though! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good recipe already! I don't have anything to add except to wish you lots of luck and to cheer you on with your new improved super assertive get pregnant plan!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are doing everything right. I read high protein diets are good for egg development, so during my IVF cycle, I bought some protein powder and mixed that into yogurt or smoothies daily. Don't know if it helped, but I'm veggie too and wanted to make sure I was getting enough while trying to grow all those eggs.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Not related to diet necessarily, but Nutella took baby aspirin during the TTC process. It helps with implantation- http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/what-is-baby-aspirin-and-how-is-it-related-to-fertility.html
ReplyDeleteI heard the same thing, reduce acidity, and dairy. But who knows, right....I feel like sometimes I get completely contradictory advice..
ReplyDeleteColor me impressed (again).
ReplyDeleteIt's too much for me. I was proud of myself for having a salad for dinner last night, but cutting out processed foods? I can't do it!
I've been giving up more and more things as we've been TTC since last May. I started with alcohol, then caffeine, don't really eat processed food anyway, gave up non-pasteurized cheese, yogurt... I hasn't heard about pineapple but I don't like it anyway. The last of caffeine is killing me slowly, but the rest isn't too bad. (New Years with fizzy apple juice kind of sucked, though.)
ReplyDeleteIt's not fun, but in the end I didn't want my behavior to affect my odds of conceiving.
Good luck!
I 2nd what Strawberry said. My wife took baby Asprin for the last two of our cycles.
ReplyDeleteI did revamped my diet too, in my cycle that worked. I cut out sugar and simple carbs. Complex carbs like spelt and quinoa replaced them. GL!
ReplyDeleteSounds to me like you are pretty on track with the diet so I will share a couple of food no-no's that surprised me. Do no drink chamomile tea and do not eat sweet potatoes. From what I recall, something in each of those can get in the way of pregnancy. Oh yeah, and DO eat yams- they promote pg.
ReplyDeleteOh and I read a different study that suggested that real milk products with at least 2% fat content INcreased the liklihood of getting pg.
It all gets so confusing at times that it sort of surprises me anyone ever gets pregnant.
:)
With TTC it seems like as soon as you find a food rule, you can find someone to contradict it. That said, we have a lot of rules we follow!
ReplyDeleteHere are a couple of them from TCM: no dairy (except a small amount of full fat dairy - about an ounce a day, though we don't eat dairy anyway so we don't do this), no cold or raw foods or drinks, yes to foods roasted or cooked to retain lots of their heat.
Bananas are good pre-ovulation.
Around ovulation time, these are good: peppermint, rosemary, spearmint, tumeric, thyme and zinc.
Lady you are so already on track. It takes a lot of determination to change these things in your life, so kudos to you. I have read that vitex and fish oil are helpful in conceiving. Also, I second anoffering on the high protein every three hours front. I have just started drinking Dong Quai root daily. Basically, from what I've read, less caffeine, booze, stress, sugar and processed foods and more exercise, protein, supplements, sex, and a balanced diet are supposed to help immensely. You are well on your way!
ReplyDeleteI was also on flax seed oil but was told by a newly pregnant friend that she was advised to avoid it by her OBGYN. Not sure how true it is, but I've stopped taking it now.
ReplyDeleteI've also read in many articles how good Selenium is. I'm going to start on that as well, its worth a try. Oh and Vit E apparently is brilliant for TTC too.
Oh great topic! I'm learning so much! I have also decided to change the way I eat and take better care of myself this cycle. Lets hope it works for the both of us!!
ReplyDeleteI've heard that sunflower seeds do something great for your lining. I don't know if it's true... but worth the try and sunflower seeds are yummy! lol
Good luck to you, cycle buddy!
My acupuncturist has me on Floradix, which is a liquid iron and herb supplement that is supposed to help with the uteran living (which can get thin with Clomid). It also works as an energy booster which is great! It can be mixed with a little OJ if you don't like the taste (I've actually come to enjoy it).
ReplyDelete*Delurks*
ReplyDeleteOne of the first things my acupuncturist had me do when I started TTC about a year ago was give up wheat and refined sugar. This is convenient because it eliminates a lot of junk food/processed food (assuming you can stick to it). BUT, and this has been a huge bummer, I recently started hearing from multiple sources that agave nectar (ordinarily my go-to non-refined sweetener) is not safe during the TWW and may cause miscarriage. Who knows if there's any truth to it--no randomized trials or anything yet--but it's something to be aware of if you're trying to substitute for refined sugar.
I also gag down a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses every day during my follicular phase to build up my lining (and baseline u/s, even on Clomid, indicate that it's been helping). I tried mixing it into smoothies or yogurt but found that getting it over with in one spoonful is the least gross option.
Good luck!
I've also heard that dairy, particularly 2% fat or more is helpful. My lining was a bit thicker during the months when I had more dairy. I'm not sure if it was just coincidence, but it's an excellent excuse to indulge in the ice cream in my opinion!
ReplyDeleteSo much of this is such a guessing game. It sounds to me like you've got the right approach and are doing all the right things. Being mindful and trying to make your body a healthy environment seems like a good rule of thumb - the rest - who knows?
ReplyDelete