Monday, November 1, 2010

November 1/ Baby Shower Redux

It is November and I am going to try to do NaBloPoMo just for the hell of it.  I will finish up those questions, I promise (and I will thank you for the material it provides.) I will go back and post long-ago started and never-finished entries.  I will pull things out of my ass.  I will use headlines.  I will get political. I will post inane and possibly nonsensical posts. But I will try to do it-- and unless Speetus drops early, I fully expect to make it. 

The shower was lovely.  My mother, sister-in-law and good friend all put it together wonderfully-- The theme was books, the vibe was super low-key, and there was no humiliating game-playing, nor mortifying present-opening ritual [I hate hate hate being the center of attention:  for my 30th birthday my partner-at-the-time threw a huge party for me (surprise!) and I spent the entire time in a state of semi-panic.  When they brought out the cake and started singing I started blowing out the candles before the cake was even on the table in a desperate attempt to make it stop.]  We had the back of a great Colombian restaurant, the weather was gorgeous, the food was fabulous, and everyone there was super sweet and gracious.  We got tons of excellent books, including some soft ones that Speetus can whack his/herself with without incurring too much damage. 

Speedy's mom did NOT come-- which she announced just two days prior to no one's surprise.  This meant that Speedy had no family there, which sucked for her, but in the end probably made for a more relaxing weekend all-around. 

Tangential aside and then I am through: The day after, Speedy went to visit her family in NJ (which is what typically happens-- Speedy goes to them, rarey do they go to her) and her mother said "I would have gone if it were your baby." Which is so many kinds of "up yours" I can't stand it.  I don't know what is going to happen after Speetus lands, but I am just trying not to be angry-- it doesn't help anyone, least of all Speedy, who is in some ways better at letting her family's crap roll off her than I am.

My family continued to surprise me with their excitement and happiness, which has really been a lovely and unanticipated outcome of this.  I even, FOR ONCE, got to say where we went to eat instead of my brother arbitrarily choosing from the most expensive restaurants in the city and then splitting the bill with me (without consulting me first.)  My father even hugged Speedy-- and not the A-frame typical WASP hug:  A real hug.  Shocking, but wonderful.

So without further ado, the baby shower awards:

Most favorite nostalgic book:  Bread and Jam for Frances
Best surprise:  6 hours post-partum doula care (gift from my parents)
Best outfit: Beautiful purple bunting with complementary royal purple footie onesie (from my friend who helped throw the shower) and and hand-knit purple llama wool blanket and hat (from my mother) which will be Speetus' coming-home outfit
Funniest gift: "Kim Chee Express Delivery" t-shirt which will see more than its fair share of rotation in Speetus's wardrobe
Weirdest development: My mother and father deciding to sublet with my Ex and her partner my brother & sister-in-law's apartment while B & SIL are in Montana for six months.  Everyone wins!!

Oh, and Holy Shit:  34.5 weeks and counting....

8 comments:

  1. I hope the response to "I would have gone if it were your baby" was "It IS my baby!" Damn, someone really needs to put that woman in her place. I'm so sorry she did this yet again.

    On the other hand, I'm super happy that you had a great shower, and some really awesome gifts. 34 weeks, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bread and Jam for Frances! I love it! I love Frances's rhymes so much.

    Sorry about the mama drama. I think you're doing a great job of letting it go. I hope it will change when Speetus arrives. And if not, well, other people's behavior has no bearing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful shower! I'm sorry that Speedy's family is so disappointing. I wonder if they'll be able to keep it up when that beautiful little baby is on the scene...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying laughing about the Kim Chee shirt...that is awesome.
    I am glad your shower was just what you wanted.
    I hope Speedy's mother will have a change of heart when the baby comes. That is not uncommon and would certainly be helpful in this case.
    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wherever did someone find the Kim Chee t-shirt?!?! I must acquire one of those!! Speaking of...I just went to KIMCHEE (in Bay Ridge) for the first time last week. Pretty good Bulgogi and Jap Chae...yum.

    I'm greatly anticipating your NaBloPoMo entries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Total holy shit on the 34.5 weeks! Seriously...
    Can I come over and punch Speedy's mom? Just once? Maybe a small kick in the shin while no one is looking? While you and Speedy are taking her hurtful words in stride I'm seething for you. :)

    Sounds like a lovely shower. We asked everyone to bring us their favorite children's book instead of a greeting card. I just loved the outcome. Post some pics of the items if you find some time! I want to see the take home outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about the ongoing MIL drama.

    The shower sounds like it was lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a lovely shower, grrr to nasty words from MIL. My bet is that once she meets Speetus she will suddenly catch the grandma love-bug and will be forever in your debt for producing such an amazing grandchild.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.