I am sorry. I can't hang. One, I feel like I am writing stuff just to write stuff and clogging up the Google Reader for no good reason, and two, I'm too tired and too busy and I'd rather spend what little time and energy I do have with Speedy and the fur babies. So, NaBloPo in No Mo' for me.
To wit...
Things I did not do this weekend:
- Spend enough time with my beloved
- Get a haircut
- Get my eyebrows done
- Sort through the well-meant but completely unnecessary bags of donated baby stuff that keep appearing in front of our door
- Find a home for the Akita
- Make banana bread
- Take a 37-week picture
- Take pictures of our nursery
- Take the boxes of well meant but unwanted disposable diapers back to the store from whence they arrived
My poor Lolo had a very bad night Saturday after an initially strong surgical recovery. She's on the mend now, but Saturday an infection set in and crept up her leg. Her flesh was angry red and stretched taut. She was trembling with fever and pain. We switched her antibiotic and I put hot compresses on her, while Speedy tried to massage the extra fluid out of the limb. She was so lame she couldn't pick up her foot to clear the floor and dragged it painfully. It hurt her too much to lie down, so she stood helplessly near her bed, panting in distress.
I got up twice in the night to check on her. By morning she was feeling better, but the antibiotics have turned her stomach and now I have to hand feed her raw meat and cat food to get her to eat. My poor baby. I am crazily devoted to her.
I also attended a COMPLETELY OVER THE TOP party for a one- and three-year-old birthday. We are talking catered food, massive candy and cupcake tables, themed decorations galore, a sing-along dude, a pinata, and about 25 adults and at least as many children. I was nearly in tears from the sugar contact-high crash after the party. I love my neighborhood, I really do, but there is a scary onemanship competitive thing that happens around birthday parties and school placement. Speedy and I have got the hit the road before we get sucked in. If I ever find myself hosting such an event I will require a serious intervention, do you hear me, internets? I didn't do that much planning and decorating for my own damn wedding!
And now it is Monday, which is the universe's way of spiting us all.
that's kind of how i feel about nablopomo -- though that's no excuse for our own near nanoblomo, in which we don't blog at all.
ReplyDeletei like reading your updates, though.
i am sorry lolo had such a rough night. when she's feeling better, i hope i can come meet her.
and no worries -- i will personally raise my most professorial eyebrow (it's very professorial) at you should you ever attempt such a fete as you described.
Have you seen "Nursery University" about New Yorkers trying to get their kids into preschool? I watched that and about died. I cannot believe how serious and intense NYC preschool apparently is. SO I can only imagine that intensity translates into their birthday parties as well. Oy.
ReplyDeleteOh, Schroe, your posts always make me laugh.
ReplyDeleteI’m sorry to hear that poor Lolo isn’t feeling well but I’m glad she’s better. Do you have a timeline for escaping the city? And thereby the crazy birthday party mafia?