Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 5: Blushing-- the story of me & Speedy

Oh, the Sapphic web we weave...

Nutella and e win the prize for making me blush, though I think Nutella already is familiar with some of the story...

Actually, because I have mostly gone into the details of this before, I am going to focus more on the aftermath, as it were... (In case you don't want to go back, here's the short story: Speedy was my vet back in '00 when I had just moved to the city; I thought she was hot but I was in the midst of my holy-shit-I'm-gay slut phase and she was...wearing a ring.  Cut to 6 years later, Speedy, newly liberated from her relationship, spied me at the gym and invited me out, oblivious to MY ring.  One ill-conceived but very short marriage (mine), one divorce (also mine), and approximately 16 animals later, here we are.)

...

The thing is, Ex and I had not much in common; she likes bars, softball and beer pong-- I like books, poetry readings and Scrabble.  She likes action-adventure movies, I like foreign dramas and documentaries.  She reads People Magazine; I read the New Yorker.  Etc., etc.  BUT what we did-- and do-- have is a way of seeing the world that I could never quite explain.  A way of respecting each other and always looking out for one another.  A real love.  I loved her, which I thought was enough of a reason to marry her, even though I knew in my heart I did not want to.  I thought I was doing it for her.  Because it was important to her. 

Only as the wedding drew nearer did I begin to realize what a drastic mistake I was making.  I think it came from a place of generosity-- I wanted to please her-- more than a place of cowardice-- I was afraid to admit I was in the wrong relationship-- but I know both things were involved.

The year we were married was, in many ways, really terrible.  I knew I had made a mistake and I felt sick about it.  Meanwhile, Speedy and I were growing closer in a way that I knew was jeopardizing any chance of a graceful exit.  Ex and I both withdrew from each other.  There were so many painful things about that time, not the least of which was the guilt that I stewed in daily.  Guilt for marrying Ex in the first place, guilt for not loving her enough, guilt for loving Speedy when I shouldn't have.  Guilt over not having my life together already...

The breakup was a foregone conclusion when it happened.  But it was the dead of winter and it was cold and dark and suddenly I was alone in bed with the dogs and no one I felt I could talk to.  At the same time, things were progressing with Speedy.  I surfed from elation to despair daily.  That period, from winter into spring, was surreal and awful.  Ex rented an apartment NEXT DOOR in the same building.  Every time I saw her she had that look on her face like a puppy who has been kicked again and again and again.  Speedy was terrified of her.  The dogs were confused.  Our friends did not know what to do.

Finally, Ex moved out.  Speedy moved in with me and we renovated her place.  Then Speedy and I moved back to her place.  All the while, Ex and I stayed in contact, and slowly we were able to move past the guilt (me) the anger (her) and the pain (both of us) to rebuild a new relationship.  It has taken years, but now we are closer than ever.  Speedy & I have dinner with Ex and her partner.  They record Dexter for us on their DVR.  When their baby was born prematurely, I visited them in the hospital almost every day until she came home. When I got pregnant they gave us so many clothes and gifts we ran out of thank you cards.  Last month, they spent a get-away weekend at my parents' house in VT. My parents always see them when they come down to NY.  We have become each other's extended families.  In a weird way, it has worked out better than I ever imagined.

11 comments:

  1. That is SO lesbionic. lol.

    But it's a great, albeit dramatic, story. I can imagine the pain, guilt, anger, etc. But wow on being able to move past it all. That's really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..definitely worth the wait, some how i had missed those two previous posts!
    What a great story and seemingly a happy ending for all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, and might I say, that would make an excellent indie film? Do it through the eyes of the pets and call it "16 animals later: mating for life"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know! The L-Word has NOTHING on us in terms of interconnected lesbionic relationships... I neglected to add that on the other side of my block, another ex and her gf lived (until about 3 months ago) and we would ALL hang out together.
    I love the lesbian community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it really is SO lesbionic. i have no comment beyond echoing strawberry's.

    my second long-term relationship ended when my partner fell in love with my first girlfriend. they're still together and were among the first we told about our + status. i know lesbionic. you're lesbionic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pom, I suppose if I were to tell you that I am wearing a pair of Ex's partner's jeans today, that would only seal your case?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I had never read your history before! I think it is utterly romantic!

    (and I am a horrible lesbian, I had no idea what lesbionic meant.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it all worked out the way it was supposed to despite some serious lesbianic drama along the way!. As someone who enjoys People, the New Yorker, indie films, documentaries, action flicks, watching sports (at bars) and poetry readings, I can see how you and the Ex were drawn to each other, differences aside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is quite the "how we met" story! It does sound like it all worked out amazingly well, though I can imagine that when you were in the midst of the change it was totally bizarre and stressful. I like Nutella's idea! How are your screenplay writing skills?

    I've never been able to (OK, cared enough to) maintain friendships with any of my exes. Which is my own loss, because a few of them were pretty cool people with whom I could be a much better friend than girlfriend. I wish I had had a better grasp of that when I was 20 or 22.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 of my ex's (2 of whom are a couple) live together in a sort of rainbow sorority house. Another ex just broke up with my first gf and now she's BFFs with the single gal from said rainbow house. The lesbian world is so very, very small.

    Glad you and Speedy found each other though! And that there's peace between you and your ex. I've just started to make amends with the gal who shattered my heart and as much as its an emotional rollercoaster, it feels good to heal. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Quite the story, no wonder you were blushing!! :)

    K & I are still shocked to this day that we met and had NO (none, zero, zilch) mutual friends...or exes. Amazing stuff for the only medium sized lesbian community that's alive and kickin' where we live. You are quite right, it is an interesting little tangled web we weave!!! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.