Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's 3 o'clock. Do you know where your NaBloPoMo is?

Nah, I don't really.  No clue.  I thought I was on a roll for a while there, but today I am coming up dry.  Thanks to Adventures, I have a question to answer:

How did Speedy get her nom de blog? 

Actually this is really simple, if you can follow the convoluted logic of my brain:  Speedy = Speedy's real-life Polish/Jewish last name + the phonetic pronunciation of "sweety."  It also describes the sometimes manic state she gets herself into when overtired or stressed, which is just like what it sounds like.  (I try to keep her out of the kitchen and away from sharp objects when I see one of her Speedy Spells coming on....) Usually the Speedy Spell ends with a crash into bath or bed, with or without a Xa.nax to help with the process of unwinding.

Speedy was also originally a bit tongue-in-cheek because, well, because I'm a little more persnickety about being on time (as in ON THE DOT) than she is, so I used to think she took forever to get out the door, after looking for her wallet, her keys, her cell phone...Maybe I have mellowed (doubtful) or Speedy has sped up, or we just don't have that many time-specific obligations any more, but that is not an issue at all any more.  If anything, I am the one that is guilty of forgetting my socks or cell phone downstairs these days, thus delaying us by precious minutes as I lumber down to get whatever it is and then back up again, before waddling out the door....

Speedy is still in El Salvador and I miss her. We all do. Everyone's sleep habits have changed. Her rotten little dog has taken to sleeping in the bassinet (which he can get to via the arm of the couch), and my original two dogs have taken to sleeping in the bedroom with me.  My cat has claimed my entire side of the bed (where he is usually contained to a pillow), and I have moved into Speedy's abandoned territory. Oyster has claimed the bouncy seat that I put in the bathroom by the shower, anticipating its eventual role.  Speedy's cat, Sven, sleeps in the sleep positioner that we have eschewed, given the safety concerns, and left out for his pleasure.  Tink-cat's nighttime wanderings are as mysterious to me as ever, as I only know of his whereabouts when he comes running in at the sound of the alarm, to trample me with his dainty little paws of pure lead. Only Sophie remains the queen of the couch as always.

Three more sleeps and Speedy comes home...

1 comment:

  1. I love that you girls have such a meagerie of pets!!! It's wonderful. And I bet you have a really fabulous vaccuum. Faaaaaabulous. I hope the next few days fly by for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.