Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day four: Ophiuchus

I am biased. All my life I have loved Capricorns. Occasionally I have even loved them, if you know what I am saying.  (Before you ask, Speedy is not:  Speedy is an Aries/Pisces cusp and oh god I love her so much it pains me.)  But I have always admired Capricorns. Strong, dependable, stable, good with money and always punctual, they embody the things that make life livable.  They are the qualities I like most in myself and admire in others.  They are the Ward Cleavers of the Zodiac, not rock stars or poets or artistes, but hell, they are there for you.

So when Speetus's due date became less conceptual (ahem) and an actual date that I have to reveal again and again and more often than I want, it is looking more and more like there's no way in hell that Speetus is going to be a Capricorn.  Nothing against any Saggitarii out there (I have loved a couple of you, too), but I really, really wanted a Capricorn. In a desperate moment alone with Google I decided to see maybe if the date fell within the gray area-- the "True Sign" region, that gives you a different sign than you actually thought you were. 

First off, I am a Libra.  Or so I thought...dun, dun, dun DUNNNNN.  Turns out my "True Sign" is Virgo, which, hey, I'll cop to being anal, so what?  And I'm not nearly as social or fashion conscious as my ilk are supposed to be, so yeah. I guess it's possible.  But I am also pathologically literal (if you say "See you in an hour" and it is 4:43, I will be waiting at 5:43.) Rational.  Stubborn.  Set. In. My. Ways.  (Which are the best, most logical and rational ways, so why would I not be?)  And those things are just so Libra, so they say.  Libras are precise and persnickety and maybe have a hint of inflexibility.  So I could see it going either way for me, really.

But I digress. When I looked up Speetus' "True Sign" it was... Ophiuchus.  What?

They are, according to the Google, the rarely invoked 13th sign of the Zodiac, based on the eponymous constellation.  They are the man with a snake wrapped around a staff, a healer, an oracle:
  • interpreter of dreams, vivid premonitions,
  • attracts good luck and fruitful blessings,
  • serpent holder, lofty ideals,
  • a seeker of peace and harmony,
  • doctor of medicine or science, natural-pathic,
  • adds, increases, joins, or gathers together
  • poetical, inventive nature, expanding qualities,
  • seeks higher education and wisdom,
  • longevity, aspirations of healing the ills of man,
  • architect, builder, reaches for the stars, figuratively and literally,
  • foresight and good fortune to benefit from hard times,
  • high position in life expected [depending on aspects] highest fame and legend comes after death
  • likes to wear clothing of vibrant colors, and plaids in particular,
  • receives the favor of those in authority.
So, okay-- that doesn't sound half-bad.  But one burning question:  How do you pronounce it?!

17 comments:

  1. come to find out sugar and i are both ophinici ourselves! we're pretty great, so don't worry over it. ;)

    i can't check for 2011 yet, but based on 2010, the bean is still a pisces...we may have to call you for advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that first u is throwing me for a loop. oh-fee-oo-cus? That sounds horrid. Nice qualities, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. crazy..both W and I are ophinici as well (although I embody the characteristics of Cap and she is a Sag more often...) FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? I've never heard of that, but it doesn't sound half bad. I'm a Capricorn and I think it's a pretty good way to be. Fern is a Pisces/Aries cusp like Speedy - I'm a fan.

    My mom was really into astrology for a while and did our charts with rising signs and moons and all sorts of stuff. I don't really believe in it, but it's good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy! Who knew there were so many Ophiuci pairs!

    The more I read about it, the cooler the sign sounds.

    Ooh, this gives me another idea for a NaBloPoMo post: What's your sign, baby?

    (I don't actually, rationally, believe in astrology, but I find it to be a fun way of describing and aggregating characteristics of different people.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I refuse to go look. I might find out that I am not really a Libra, and I fully embrace my libra self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a pisces and Prudence is a capricorn. We are very stereotypical to our symbols and think its pretty awesome that it matches up so well. I don't use astrology in my life, but its always neat to see how signs are described and match it up to people with that sign. Sometimes I'm like "wow- yes!" and other times (like with Pru's sister) I read and think "Wtf, def not."

    I had a co-worker that lived and breathed astrology and would/wouldn't befriend people because of their sign. It was pretty weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, all I took away from that is your baby is going to wear plaid. Tee hee hee a lesbian baby in plaid?! I can't believe how close you're getting to Speetus getting here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, that is WACKY! I had no idea you could be a sign other than what you thought. It says I'm actually a Taurus (not Gemini), Nutella is a Leo (not Virgo), and Miles is an Aries (not Taurus). I have to say, I see big qualities from our True signs in each of us. But...but...it doesn't seem right to say we're those signs now (especially since I actually have a Gemini symbol tattooed on my ankle!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for Oh-fee-OO-cuss. Which is a great name, BTW. You should TOTALLY name you baby Ophiuchus. Call them O-fee for short.

    I'm a virgo, which totally does NOT fit me. Never done my "true sign". Strawberry is a Gemini, which is so true of her that she's got it tattooed on her ankle. For example, when asked, she'll tell you that her favorite color is orange and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See the problems when both partners blog? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh heh.

    Nutella: Does Leo fit you?

    Speedy's "True Sign" is Pisces. But I happen to think Speedy is absolutely the embodiment of Pisces/Aries-- a combination of sage-like wisdom with a dash of enfant terrible to spice it up; fiery and impulsive but also introspective and reflective, depending on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Leo certainly fits me better than Virgo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Out of curiosity, where do you look up "True Signs"?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should have linked: sorry! http://www.truestarsign.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very timely (literally.) Avellana is extremely interested in Astrology right now and was very unhappy that she was labeled an Aries in most books since she feels that she is really a Pisces. Your website thrilled her by confirming her wish. :)
    I never paid much attention to Astrology, but for the record I am on the cusp of Capricorn. (And weirdly enough I was born on the Winter Solstice, my mother was born on the summer Solstice and my sister was very nearly born on the autumn Equinox...strange.)
    I never heard of the other one, but it sounds interesting. Your little one is already carving a unique path.
    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did not know of this 13th sign. It sounds like a movie title, right? I'll be googling it for sure... tomorrow. i start fading as it gets close to 9pm these days...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.