Monday, November 8, 2010

Daphne kicks ass, takes names.

Kick-ass mothering.  Please let me be this way.

The short story:  This woman's son wanted to dress up as Daphne for Halloween.  And she let him. So what?

Apparently, some people had a problem with it, to which she said:


My son is gay. Or he’s not. I don’t care. He is still my son. And he is 5. And I am his mother. And if you have a problem with anything mentioned above, I don’t want to know you.
[...]
If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.

And then some other stuff.  Awesome.

7 comments:

  1. I love this kid...The post was passed around my local mom's-listserve so got a lot of press.

    My favorite line:

    "Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off."

    Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was on the Today show this morning. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely kick-ass.
    My favorite line is the ninja line also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this and posted it up on my Facebook. People loved it! Except this stupid lady who clearly missed the overall point...

    http://blogs.forbes.com/carolinehoward/2010/11/05/my-son-is-gay-is-a-lesson-in-bad-mommy-blogging/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I think it's sad and very true that the only ones judging were the parents, not the kids.

    I agree with Lucy that the woman on Forbes missed the point entirely, but most press seems to be good so good for her. Let your kids be who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bloody legend. Definitely gold medal kick-ass mothering. (And yes, I think you're a contender for that medal already)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.