I have eclectic taste in music. I love the girl-with-a-guitar genre first and foremost, but I also love me some indie punk, hip-hop, and even pop. Poor Speedy, when I start getting into the depths of my iPod. She is just not a hip-hop lovin' lady (even though all the stuff I like is the feminist stuff.) A couple of weeks ago there was an incident with a Khia song that I still don't think she has recovered from. (My Neck, My Back-- is anyone with me on this?)
Anyhow... Who the hell knows how I'm going to feel when I'm in labor? I am hoping to spend 99% of that time at home, but I don't want to be futzing with my playlist every ten minutes. I want to make one mix-- at most two or three-- that should get me through. I will want the mellow, pretty music on one, the motivational music it on another, and the distracting music on maybe even yet another. But does anyone have any concrete suggestions for DJing your own labor? Any particular songs/artists/genres that you think are especially good?
I do kind of hope that I'm pushing while listening to Salt n' Peppa, because that would crack me up. But then again, maybe I won't want to be cracking up at that point. Maybe I'll want a little shouting and pumped-up estrogen-drenched distraction with Heavens to Betsy. Or maybe I'll be in the mood for some introspective melody from Ani-- who's to know?
(And again, my musical knowledge ends at about 2002, but I am open to be educated!)
By the way: I am STILL having issues with commenting on Wordpress blogs at work. I AM reading, and when I am able I comment from home, but this means I am often delayed. Sorry :(
i have an oldskool hiphop mix on my ipod, too, and just the other day i was educating red on the beasties, tribe called quest, and even team dresch and huggybear. we're both digging "socalled" this year (gay klezmer hiphop, yesplease), and i'm revisiting eyedea and abilities after the untimely death of eyedea last month. but i imagine for labor i'd be more into boards of canada or bonobo for relaxation and maybe some j-lo (do it well), letigre, or goldfrapp for the heart-pumping moments. good luck and let me know if you want me to send you any of the above mentioned artists!
ReplyDeleteI am huge into my music, but loathe hippity hop just like Speedy. Me thinks maybe an age issue?
ReplyDeleteAnyway. I thought long and hard about playlists and music as well. I never came up with anything solid which is just as well since I ended up in the OR.
But I was amazed that the hours I spent in the birthing room before that--all I wanted was silence.
Music was actually irritating to me.
You just can't predict anything.
How could any lesbian not love that Khia song? It's an anthem! I was single when it came out and, therefore, going out a lot. It was everywhere.
ReplyDeleteI stopped paying attention around 2002ish as well, so I don't know that I'll be much help but I'm going to give it a think.
ReplyDeleteI have a question, though, for your NaBloPo or whatev: how did Speedy get her nom de blog?
i feel you on loving some hip hop :) and i am with pomegranate...that song is an anthem!
ReplyDeletei did not get to have a labor mix but i would vote for whatever you love making sure that all the songs on the mix would be okay to hear again and again because they will always remind you of a very special moment. you might try to have a couple of playlists that way you could pick between higher intensity music and more calming tracks.
i had the same problem when i was on blogger. i found it was just easier to switch to wordpress :)
Other than the indie songs that randomly show up on tv shows, I'm pretty out of the music loop lately. But I'd suggest one list thats only songs you love, but rarely here. I think it could be fun to be in labor and suddenly say, "OH man! I love this song and I haven't heard it in foreverrrrr!" LOL
ReplyDeleteI kinda love that song. (My Neck, My Back...) LOL. So crass, but fun.
ReplyDeleteI'd recommend anything by Lauryn Hill or India Arie. I'm a big fan of both of them. Also, nothing can get me reved up like Spice Girls..lol. Now if you want calming, soothing music, that's a different story. =)
Definitely give yourself a lot of variety--everything from hip-hop to yoru favorite classical to monks chanting. Seriously. I ended up listening to Loreena McKennitt over and over and over again, and the majority of the music on my playlist I couldn't stand (and it was music I typically love!). Just be prepared for anything is my best suggestion!
ReplyDeleteIs there such thing as feminist hip hop? ;) I admit I do love some filthy hip hop among other things.
ReplyDeleteI have to be honest with you, I didn't hear ANYTHING while I was in the more intense parts of my labor. I wouldn't have wanted anything harsh on during that time of course but as long as it wasn't distracting or aggressive I don't think I gave a damn what was on. I really can't remember any of the music we listened to. Most of the time I prefered peace and quiet.
I guess my point is, don't spend too much time trying to create the perfect playlist, you may not care what is playing.
Yay Heavens to Betsy! I'm a big Sleater Kinney fan. In fact, I've heard that Corin Tucker has returned to music with a new album (after having two kids herself.) :)
ReplyDeleteAlong those lines (at least the same original label) look for some music from The Gossip. Quite Fun.
Such great suggestions! I have heard from a number of people that silence was their preferred soundtrack, but I have a lot of research to do based on the other suggestions as well. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteCouldn't resist sharing my funny story about that very song...I was about 8 at the time and it was my babysitter's favorite song. I didn't know what it meant, so I asked my friends. We all concluded it referred to pushing the baby out in labor. That is forevermore what I think of when I hear that song! :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe some Gwen Stefani? :) That's some feminist hip-hop...ooh...or Pink!
ReplyDeleteWe had a bunch of CD's with us for Nutella but I don't think actually played any music for all those hours.
p.s. i've been digging on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PnU27cWDs) a lot recently, but i'm not sure it's what you'd want to hear when you're in labor...
ReplyDeleteI read in some silly parenting magazine at the RE's office that Sarah Shahi (i.e. Carmen of the L Word) gave birth while listening to that very Salt n Pepa song. So you'd be in good company!
ReplyDeleteWe made two mixes but didn't end up listening to them...forgot completely. Patty Griffin was to feature heavily on one, I remember. Zap Mama on another.
Adventures-- I love the video! Very catchy. I might just be humming it at the gym next time ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love all these suggestions. Thank you so much, everyone!
Okay you DEFINITELY have to include Neneh Cherry's "Next Generation" then!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-next-generation-lyrics-Neneh-Cherry/DC433F215AB0730848256A84002AF059