Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 2: Biggest Pet Peeve

Nicole asked about my biggest pet peeves.  Which makes me think I am coming across as cranky as I can sometimes be.  I am a curmudgeon before my time, trust me.

I honestly don't know where to start.  But I think this should be an open question-- anyone reading, please feel free to leave your pet peeves in the comments!  I would be interested in seeing what everyone else's are.

TTC related pet peeves seem appropriate, and for that I will say the biggest one I had/have is when people say things like, "It will all work out for the best." (as in, "If it is meant to be..." etc.)  Which is TOTALLY the wrong thing to say to anyone who is undergoing such a maddeningly unfathomable process, because not only do you imply, intentionally or not, that there is some greater good in a failed cycle, but there is an implicit suggestion of deserving or merit in who conceives and who doesn't, some order or hierarchy that is obscure to us.  Which further implies an intelligent design or presence that dictates these things according to some celestial design... To which I say, "what a load of shit!"

Mmm-hmmm. I said it.  There is NO "fair" or "deserving" or celestial plan in the pain/elation of TTC.  There is statistics, and lots and lots of medical interventions. And lots that even statistics and medicine can't know or fix. And so many unknowns, both known and unknown.

There are people in this blogland that I would happily send my severed pinky to if I thought it would help them conceive because they want it so badly and I therefore want it that badly FOR them.  I ache for them to conceive, and yes, if I were to assign some standard by which people would be worthy to conceive based on longingness and persistence, I would have fallen far behind them in the order.  But there is no rhyme or reason to it.  I conceived and am-- thus far-- carrying a (as far as we know) healthy baby after only three total attempts, with one rotten chemical pregnancy on my second try.  No, I did not "deserve" that luck.  Nor did I somehow not deserve it because I hadn't been trying long enough or hard enough, or because I hadn't shed enough tears.  It just happened, which was great for me, and, while it may have been a psychological poke in the eye to others who had been trying longer or harder or with more soul-wrenching baby-hunger, it in no way affected their chances of conception.  There is no finite number of ttc success stories which was depleted.

Then there are also people who have carried babies this far or further, or not as far, who have had had tragic, terrible, unspeakable outcomes, the pain of which I hope I never know because, while I know most somehow find the "strength"* to survive, I don't want to plumb those depths if I don't have to.  Those people did not deserve those tragedies.  Tragedies just fucking happen.  And there is no assuaging the pain and guilt and horror of them, least of all by assigning some divine intent or plan to them. 

So ummm... I don't know.  I wasn't expecting this kind of vehement outpouring when I started writing about pet peeves.  I was expecting to write about water spots on the mirror and wet sponges left in the sink.  But it turns out, upon deeper reflection, that my biggest pet peeve seems to be any implication of a divine plan. Because if there IS a god running this place, well, it's nothing more than criminally negligent and incompetent and I want nothing to do with it!

*That's another pet peeve:  people praising those who suffer tragedy as "strong"-- while I am sure I have been guilty of this as well-- when all they are doing, in fact, is surviving, which we have been programmed to do, in spite of everything.  That is not to say that these people are NOT strong, but by invoking this perceived superpower that they must have that has enabled them to carry on, one fails to acknowledge the extent of their actual suffering.

11 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. There is no phrase I hate more than one that ends with ". . . meant to be" whether someone's saying that something was meant to be or not. Suffering, in my opinion, is basically random and unfortunately normal.

    Why should I have conceived on the first try? No reason. Why should my sister-in-law have just been diagnosed with breast cancer at 39? No reason. Why should my mother have died at 57? No fucking reason. It just is.

    I keep thinking about that quote LesbianDad posted a few weeks back, from a Buddhist: "Pain is not a punishment. Pleasure is not a reward. These are just ordinary circumstances."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same pet peeves. Along with those who repeat the same beat-the-odds hopeful stories at you when you say things like "I know my body and I'm pretty sure this try didn't work." Yeah, I have to hold back violent impulses when people tell me "your baby will find you when it's meant to" and "i know it'll happen eventually because you'll be such great mommies"?? and "don't give up." Like you say i tell them i can never give up, not because i am "strong" but because there is no alternative to me. a childless life is out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, you don't want to get me started on my pet peeves. I won't let myself post more than 5 here :)

    Absolutely the people who say 'it was meant to be' or praise god because their football team won or whatever it is that happened to go their way. I can't stand people who drive under the speed limit or don't stop at stop signs. People who chew their gum or food loudly. People at work who suggest having a meeting for things that would only take a minute to discuss via email or the phone. And finally, though I'm clearly past 5 lol, people who ignore their kids, whether it be letting them run amok in public orletting them say "Mom or Dad" 80 times while they continue to ignore them and continue their conversation about Dance with the Stars. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put! But before I go on, please know that my question was in no way a reflection on your curmudgeonlyness. I think it was really just me projecting because believe me I could have a whole blog devoted to pet peeves.

    You definitely articulated the thing that has been driving me the craziest for the past 2+ years of TTC hell. Especially when it comes from people who have NO IDEA what they're talking about when it comes to conception and pregnancy.

    And yes, I hate wet sponges in the sink too. And when people step on the bathmat with their shoes on (which in our bathroom is impossible not to if someone forgot to hang the bathmat back up). I hate being forced to pass people on the right. And when people I don't know put their hands on my back to gently guide me out of the way in a crowd. Do I sound like enough of a lunatic yet?

    Thanks for answering my question!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It is what it is."

    better to just say nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago when I was struggling with some residual trauma crap, a therapist said "You're so strong to have gotten through all that"...

    I just looked at her and said "What the hell else was I supposed to do?" I mean, seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Sister! I totally agree. Often during our epic journey to conceive, friends would praise me for how "strong" I was being about it. I was like..."What the fuck choice do I have really?"

    And, like you, I have a list of pet peeves a mile long. I neglected my questions post from the summer, but I did get asked about pet peeves, and while thinking about answering the question, amassed such a long list that I grew embarrassed whenever I thought about posting it, for fear I would seem like such a misanthrope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yeah, those ttc platitudes are so obnoxious. along the same lines, it used to drive me crazy when folks would offer to let me have their kids so i "could see". argh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of this is a big thumbs up from me (right down to the wet sponge). But the strong/patient one - a million times YES. I know it usually comes from a kind place or someone who doesn't know what else to say, but, I would challenge anyone out there to tell me they wouldn't do the same stuff we're doing if they had to. I'm not some saint, I'm just doing everything I know how to do to become a parent. And it hurts and I'm childish a lot of the time and I'm just totally human and not some super human.

    Anyway, I too have a silly number of pet peeves, but my #1 of all time is when people ask if Fern and I are sisters. Even worse, when we tell them we're a couple and then they KEEP telling us how much we look like sisters. I think it's the most maddening form of subtle homophobia and I pretty much instantly dislike anyone who says this to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really hate the 'strong' one too. Mostly because I have it said to me and I know I'm not. 'Just good at hiding it,' is my usual reply. Also, I really hate 'It was meant to be', mostly because I'm an atheist and find it extremely preachy in a subtle way.

    I have several other 'pettier' pet peeves, if you will. I HATE bad grammar with a burning passion; I hate text-speak.

    I really, REALLY despise when people start to tell a story, but think better of it halfway through and stop. I have enforced a rule among my friend group that if you start to tell a story and stop, if you are called on it, you MUST continue. (This has come back to bite me on the ass several times, but turnaround is fair play too.)

    I hate when people mix up words like 'affect' and 'effect'. TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS PEOPLE. Also, phrases use like 'I was suppose to go do this' to mean something totally different than what it actually says. Theoretically this falls under grammar, but it happens so much (and is a slightly different issue than straight-up grammar ... it's more misuse of moods/tenses and word choice) that I needed to rant about this separately.

    There are lots more ... but I sound like some crazy curmudgeon if I

    (Please forgive any grammatical errors in the above post -- the shortest workday I've had all week has been 14 hours. I claim this as my excuse.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen, sister! Platitudes are the worst. (Believe me, I know I'm guilty, too.)


    Let's see... I get sick of hearing from my students' parents "I don't know how you do it every day," which I hear an awful lot. Not a peeve so much but boy have I hated the political ads this go round. I hate people who mix up your and you're, and those who think a lot is one word. Asshats who drive up to where a lane is closing and then try to force their way in even though everyone else moved over blocks ago. People who blame everyone else for their own failures.

    Yeah, that's probably enough!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.