Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Booted

File under:  You have got to be kidding!

So a couple of Saturdays ago I spent the morning walking the dogs (two shifts: one for the regular dogs and one for Lolo, who needs to go slowly and only a short distance), then taking Lolo back and forth to the vet for her blooming infection, then walking to the shops to get birthday presents. Then I spent the rest of the day kind of running (or walking fast, anyway) around between my place and my friend's apartment (about 15 minutes away by city blocks), helping prep for a joint bday party for her 1- and 3-year-old kids.  After the party I went home, took a shower, walked the dogs (two shifts again) and immediately walked another 15 minutes to take an infant CPR class. Then I walked home, walked the Akita and finally came in for the day.  Because of the party, I wore shoes that I don't usually wear and maybe they weren't as cushiony or supportive as my usual sneakers/hiking boots, and so by the end of the day I noticed that my right foot had swollen considerably and was a bit painful in a very specific area. 

I figured it would get better. 

Pregnancy said ha! Hahahahahahahahahaha!  Ha. HA! 

So yesterday Speedy finally convinced me to go to a podiatrist and have it looked at.  After a brief consultation and with the caveat that she could not take x-rays, the podiatrist said we'll just treat it as a presumed stress fracture.  And put a GINORMNOUS boot on me, handing me my sneaker in a plastic bag on my way out the door.

The good news is that of all the shyster podiatrists there are in this city I found the one with dog lover and PETA magazines in her lobby and we spent the whole visit talking about dog rescue, so she didn't charge me for the 50% of the boot that my insurance didn't cover. And now here I am a gigantically pregnant lady walking around with a HUGE FREAKING BOOT on. If this doesn't get me a subway seat, I don't know what will....


Apparently relaxin = reduced shock-absorption + lots of walking and little cushioning + 30 extra pregnancy pounds = BIG GIMP ASS BOOT on my foot now.  Jeez there is nothing I hate more than feeling enfeebled.

12 comments:

  1. Are you going to be able put that big boot in the stirrups when you are pushing in a few days???

    Seriously though, I'm sorry for the boot but it does serve as a good reminder for how much pregnancy dictates what your body CAN and CANNOT do. Rest up! Stop walking so much, what are you a New Yorker or something??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shroedinger... I'm sorry! The last bit of pregnancy is anything but glamorous, at least in my experience. Hoping that you are well healed (and rested) in time for the big event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ tbean...thanks! I guess worst-case scenario is I'll cut the damn thing off myself if I need to. But yeah, very humbling! I hope you are feeling well my friend!

    @ projectkjetil ...or *heeled* (snort)

    ;-)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry. i should be sympathetic. all i can do is laugh hysterically to myself at the image i have in my head now of you walking a bunch of dogs with a huge belly and a giant boot on.

    poor schroe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's ok, Pom ;-) I am laughing a little, too since I have no one but myself to blame! Let this be a lesson to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. God, you can't catch a break! I admit that the picture Pom paints is pretty entertaining, but likely not if you're living it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you poor thing! I am impressed by your sense of humor about the whole thing, though. Clomping around in a huge boot with dogs and belly sounds like quite the chore. Just think how good of shape you'll be in when you deliver! It's -30 F here, if that makes you feel any better about clomping about. Probably not, but thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piccies pls! I guess that boot will force you to slow down your pace - which sounds supersonic up til now. Take care, m'dear !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boo, hiss to the boot! I have a bad sprain myself right now. Ugh. But as tbean says - at least it's a reminder to rest up and pamper yourself. Get on it! But really - sorry you have to deal w this now, of all times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Pom - I have to laugh a bit! It's just the image. :)
    It really does suck at this point in pregnancy though. I can sympathize. However....maybe now you'll to forced to slow down a little bit. You're making the rest of us whiny ladies look bad!
    (You'll have thighs of steel by the time this is all done though!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, boooooo! That just sucks. And really, do you need more reasons for strangers to talk to you and make comments? ;)

    I hope this does earn you a subway seat. No more walking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, bummer! i had to wear one of those for over a month. It hampers the style. But it should definitely get you a subway seat. Work it!

    Feel better and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.