I am a cynic (in case that hasn't become abundantly evident). Holiday spirit is not so much a part of my emotional fabric-- except I do get a little teary when P-FLAG marches by in the gay pride parade...well, I would, if I ever went to those parades any more, but crowds in NYC in June? Thanks, no.
And the whole holiday season thing is a bit tainted for me because I also have a little bit of an allergy to organized religion* in any flavor.
And I definitely don't do patriotism*... so that about covers the whole suite of holidays, doesn't it? Except for Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving should be right up my alley then: just food, family, friends and a secular raison d'etre that no one can really argue with (except for the oh-so-white-washed history from which the tradition springs: "Thanks for the corn! Have some syphillis," sayeth the pilgrim to the Indian.)
But, but, but. My family never did TG. No turkey, no bustling kitchen, no football on the TV, no relatives passed out on the couch. In proper WASP style, we went out to eat, drank too much wine, and put the night on plastic.
So I was probably in my late twenties, if not early thirties, when I experienced my first "traditional" TG at the behest of some ex-- I don't remember the year or the exact circumstances under which I was initiated into the ritual of dried out turkey, chunky mashed potatoes, gluey gravy, and stuffing with the consistency of KwickSet concrete, all consumed to the point of belly pain. I just know that I was stuck in someone else's house on a cold day that got dark too soon, with the sounds of bored children tormenting each other and football games blaring from the other room. And no escape. You can't just duck out for an imagined errand because everything is freaking closed on TG. And staying in is like pacing the halls of a migraine funhouse.
I am So. Not Into. It.
So I am dreading tomorrow, which we will spend at Speedy's sister's Grouchy's house, even though I have tons to be "thankful" for. (I have a problem with this as well: to whom shall I be thankful? Citicard for the successful cycle? CCB for the sperm? 'Cause really it was just me, Speedy, enough money and easy credit, and plain dumb luck that got us here.)
I am dreading the inevitable stress and claustrophobia of spending the entire day in someone else's home, of bringing too much or too little in the way of our own offerings, of being left out of conversations and of intentionally keeping out of arguments. Of being gigantically pregnant and not having the option of another glass of wine. Of being bored yet anxious, and strangely hungry yet glutted, the way only a vegetarian can be at a carnivore's TG dinner.
But I am grateful for this blogging community, because it has made this process so much more supported and enriched than it otherwise would have been. I could have spent $1000's at Borders and not gotten the wealth of information and candor that I have gotten from these blogs, and to the ladies who write them, I am thankful. Uncynically, unironically, just thankful. So thank you, ladies. You rock!
*I feel the need to qualify these statements with the fact that I have religious and patriotic-- even military-- friends (is that like a homophobe saying they have gay friends?) I just am not down with the institution of religion/patriotism. Ultimately, I think they both lead to too much damn bloodshed on intellectually questionable grounds.
We kinda think alike. I'm not religious or patriotic either, so I tend to see holidays just as a reason to get together with family and eat or exchange presents. Good luck tomorrow. And happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteI totally am with you on this holiday thing. I think Thanksgiving is just meant torture us. We get together with people we really don't like and pretend to be thankful for it! I am more thankful on all the other days of the year, I am pretty sure. lol
ReplyDeletei hear you. my partner's family is both religious and uber-patriotic, so it makes it that much harder for me to stomach. luckily, we are at home this week!! :)
ReplyDeletehope tomorrow isn't too painful.
"to whom shall I be thankful? Citicard for the successful cycle? CCB for the sperm? 'Cause really it was just me, Speedy, enough money and easy credit, and plain dumb luck that got us here.)"
ReplyDeletelol ain't that the truth? That is the reality.
I never thought of TG as a religious holiday, but more of a chance to be thankful for the things others don't have. Like food,housing, warm clothing,good health. The basics.
It's also packed with guilt to force people who you wish you spoke to more often to gather together in one place.
I'm missing those foods made the way my mother has always made them this year. TG after TG. Tried without success to find a restaurant that was serving cornbread dressing in the hood. In true Virgo form it's not the same if one thing is missing :(
Youre my very favorite cynic. :)
ReplyDeleteWe are spending the day at V's boss' house, which means gourmet food (he's an amazing cook) and lots and lots of wine. :)
Wish you could come to our place for our vegetarian heaven meal! Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy the pies; that's what I do, ha.
ReplyDeleteTomorrow, take full advantage of your big pregnant self. Complain at will, groan, eat only pie, leave early. Yes, serious! This year you have the ultimate excuse. Use it.
ReplyDeleteI actually started to enjoy Thanksgiving when I realized I didn't have to spend it with my family (or anyone else's for that matter).
ReplyDelete"strangely hungry yet glutted, the way only a vegetarian can be at a carnivore's TG dinner"
ReplyDeleteOh yes - I've had way too many christmases like that! Until El Prima and I started doing the cooking so that she & the girls could eat a halal christmas turkey (i just love the ecumenical nature of that dish!) and I made vego stuffing with lots of onion & sage & butter.
Hope tomorrow goes alright, and you find some amusing nephew / niece to entertain you xxh
This post cracks me up, as do most of your other posts. Ditto the general disgust organized religion and patriotism. Over-consumption gets me as well (says the girl who just bought a huge new washing machine). I think American culture is shite in general, but I do like mashed potatoes and pie.
ReplyDeleteI second the gratefulness to the blogging community, from whom I have learned so much and can always turn to with asinine questions of all sorts.
Happy tofurkey day!
I love TG now tha I am older and I'll tell you why. We are totall antisocial and keep tp ourselves for the holiday. We make the food we like and it is always amazing because my wife is a bad ass in the kitchen. We don't go to other people's houses and endure their bad cooking, we don't have to travel, we don't have others to the house so no need to entertain. I guess we are the anti holiday celebration but that's how we like it and it is so much easier to be thankful under those circumstances. Our holiday is quiet and perfect because its just us. Now, if we had to spend it with nutty family or something equally painful, I'd feel exactly the same way.
ReplyDelete