This one is long overdue...thanks, Definingfamily for the reminder.
Nicole, I accidentally went out of order on this one, but I promise I am not ignoring you!
So, um, yes, I am that crazy person who makes her own pet food. It has been duly pointed out to me that this activity may slow or cease altogether when I have to meet the demands of a baby, but for now, this is how it is. If we have to adjust things in the future, well, we'll see what we have to do.
I have to say that we have very good reasons (8 of them) for doing so. And since Speedy is a vet and witnessed first-hand the deaths of animals who were poisoned by the melamine disaster a few years ago, it also makes us slightly less paranoid about inadvertently killing our much beloved animals. Also: when Sophie (the 120-lb great dane/lab mix) came to us, she was very, very sick with hemolytic anemia-- she had a 50-50 shot of living. The first thing that the specialist vet told us to do was to get her off commercial food (which can cause all sorts of trouble, from digestive issues to maladaptive immune responses) and put her on homemade with herbal supplements. It just made sense that since we were doing it for her, we would put everyone on the same diet.
But for all our lofty reasons for making homemade food, we do cheat. We have too many animals to be able to afford hormone-free, grass-fed local beef, which we should grind with a meat grinder, bones and all, as the basis of their food. (Which ideally should not be cooked at all.) Instead, we do a compromise: we buy 30 lbs a week of $1/lb. frozen ground beef or chicken from a local butcher (which is sold as "dog food meat"), throw about 6 pre-cut chunks of it (about 2-3 pounds) with about an equal amount (by weight) of sliced sweet potatoes into the crock pot, then add about 1-2 handfuls of whatever* green veggies we have on hand (or veggie stalks, stems and unwanted remains that we keep in a bag in the freezer for this very purpose). (We don't compost because we have nothing to grow, but we do recycle as much of our food waste as we can-- we often add apple cores and other bits that break down in the cooking process.) Fill the crockpot up with water to about 1-2 inches below the top (fill it too high and it will bubble over while cooking and leave a gross, greasy mess on your countertop and in the bottom of the heating element) and leave it on "low" over night. In the morning, we stir in about 1-2 cups of barley and let it cook up while we walk the dogs (about an hour). Then we turn it off and mix in one 400 IU vitamin E pill (I snip off the tip with scissors and squeeze in the oil), 10,000 IU of vitamin A (I crush the pills between two teaspoons and sprinkle in the powder), about four tablespoons of calcium powder (which I make in a coffee grinder from recycled egg shells), some vegetable oil if the meat looks lean, a teaspoon or two of table salt, and about 6 Tablespoons of the magical vitamin supplement:
Healthy Powder (straight from Dr. Pitcairn's Natural Health for Pets book):
2 cups nutritional yeast
1 cup lecithin granules
1/4 cup kelp powder
1/4 cup calcium powder
1,000 mg vitamin C crystals (sodium ascorbate)
Mix all ingredients together and store in a big container at room temp.
We mix this all together, and stick the whole thing in the fridge to cool. I try to have at least 1 full meal made ahead (for four dogs, this equals about 1/2 the crock pot) so I can feed them without making them wait for the food to cool.
That was the dogs...
For cat food, since I don't have to make it every. single. stinkin'. day. I don't mind dirtying a pot and standing over it while it cooks. Theoretically you are supposed to vary their diet, but again, we compromise-- this is a hell of a lot better than most commercial foods, and they do get variety in a sense when we run out of beef and use our back-up canned food. They also get tons of snacky goodness when we have anchovies or leftover fish bits from going out to eat. But for their every day fare, it is simple: Take a cup of cornmeal (or polenta) and add 4 cups of water in a large pot. Bring it to a boil, turn heat low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Turn heat OFF. Add two eggs, stir. Add 2 lbs. of ground beef (which we get in the fridge case from the same butcher who supplies the dog food meat), combine. Add 4 tablespoons of healthy powder, 2 teaspoons of calcium powder, 10,000 IU of vitamin A, 100-200 IU of vitamin E, and 500 mg taurine supplement. (Taurine is an essential supplement for cats.) Mix it all up, and-- voila! I put it is recycled plastic quart containers, leave one container in the fridge and store the rest (1-2 more quarts) in the freezer. If you have fewer cats (we have four, 3 of them large males), maybe keep a smaller amount in the fridge since it will spoil within 3-4 days.
If you are switching to this diet with your animals, remember to gradually phase it in to avoid instant stomach distress. The switch was very easy with the dogs, because they will eat anything, and they love their food, but our cats will still take canned food any day over their homemade food. Speedy and I are convinced that manufacturers put kitty crack in canned cat food because of how crazy the cats get when it's around. But they WILL eventually eat the homemade stuff (and happily) if that is all they are offered. We give them "treats" of little kibbles of commercial dry food. They LOVE it and always come running when we shake the box. In small quantities, it's ok, but the dry food, if fed exclusively, can cause serious kidney problems over time especially with older cats.
While the initial investment for all the vitamins and supplements is a bit steep, those things last forever-- we really only have to re-stock one item at a time and every few months, so homemade food is much cheaper (the way we do it) than any commercial food we can buy in Brooklyn. It is a bit more work, and there are definitely days that I wish I could go to bed without chopping up potatoes for the dog food, but ultimately it is much better. Gone are the days of spending $200 every month (or every other week, sometimes) at the pet store and waiting for deliveries of 40-lb. bags of possibly poisonous kibble. Plus, I just like being the one to make their food. It makes me feel like I am going the extra mile for them, and they are so, so worth it.
*Avoid acidic veggies (peppers, tomatoes), onions, things like eggplant and mushrooms because they can have ill effects.
Very cool! I've heard of making your own food, but was always afraid I could never keep up with it. Right now we do the organic/natural whatever stuff- but I know your way would be so much better!
ReplyDeleteYou’re the best- I’ve been waiting for this post and it was so worth the wait. I’m planning on re-reading it a few times tonight so I can saturate everything but I’ve been wondering how this process works. You’re both meat eaters right… Do you think as vegetarians this process would just be over the top impossible. Like I’m imagining the smell of the cooking meat fills a room… Or is it more benign? Thanks again for posting.
ReplyDeleteDF-- Actually, we are both vegetarians!
ReplyDeleteSometimes the smell of cooking meat (the beef especially, for some reason) is a little unpleasant (and that is also part of the reason we don't grind up fresh meat-- I really don't know if I would be able to do that daily!) But overall, I don't think it's intolerable.
I think doing it overnight helps (the smell dissipates during the day so our evenings are not infused with it). I do have a friend who is a vegan (very strict at that!) who grinds raw meat every day for her animals. I personally find the smell of commercial pet food much more gag-inducing than the crockpot food that we do-- but the exposure is much shorter, so I guess it's up to your particular sensitivities.
What kind of animals do you have & how many?
BTW, the process is long to explain but actually super simple, esopecially once you get the rhythm down.
I would love to see a picture of all your critters-- they seem like a lucky bunch to have you two!
ReplyDeleteTM-- It has been a while since I posted gratuitous animal pics-- I will see if I can get them all is the same place and post soon!
ReplyDeleteYou're so awesome! I can't believe you make dog food every single night!
ReplyDeleteI am the kind of person that would totally make pet food for our kitties, but I've been turned off of the idea for several reasons. Your post is making me consider it though - must do more research! Since we're vegetarians, the thought of cooking meat in the house kind of grosses me out. Actually, the thought of just buying and handling the meat grosses me out. I realize that the cans of stuff we dish out to the kits should gross me out more, but it's a psychological barrier.
The other big reasons is that three years ago our older kitty was diagnosed with diabetes. Our brilliant vet put her on a new kind of insulin and she's been in remission for over two years (no more shots, just sugar monitoring a few times a year). But we still have to give her the special diabetic food and I hate it. Before she was sick we got her the more natural brands (I realize that doesn't make them totally healthy, but slightly better) but the diabetic food brand our vet sells is p*rina and I'm totally convinced that it's crap even though the vet says it's the best thing for her. But I'm also afraid to feed her something else because it's a prescription food. I'm pretty sure diabetic cat food is basically higher protein/lower carb which would make homemade even better but it makes me nervous to switch! I haven't really done the research to be better informed about what we'd need to give her so maybe that would alleviate some of my worry.
Wow, I didn't mean to write such a long comment! Clearly, this post got me thinking.
All I can say is WOW!! You are the best pet mom on the block, for sure!!!
ReplyDeleteI am very, very, very impressed and have to say (like many of the others who have commented) that I have *thought* of making homemade food before, but never got much beyond the planning stages.
Perhaps after the move when time is more readily available, I will give it a whirl!! :) I'm sure our pups would L.O.V.E. your recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Wow...yeah, best pet mom award goes to you. And I thought I was doing good just reading the ingredients in the food I buy my pooch (making sure real meat is the first or second ingredient, and the rest is natural) I can't say I have the patience to make her food, although if she's lucky, she'll get dinner leftovers :)
ReplyDeletewow!!
ReplyDeleteAnother wow from me - that is some amazing pet mom dedication. Now that we're doing more homemade stuff with the babe (making our own diaper wipes solution, among other things) I can imagine this more readily...interesting idea, sounds so great for pet health. Our kitties turn up their noses at even the most expensive vet-approved canned food and want dry kibble kitty crack. Maybe they would like this? I'm intrigued! Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteWow, first of all I am no stinkin' hero-- I just am a little OCD about my pets and Speedy is, too, so we feed it in each other. But thanks for all your sweet comments!
ReplyDeleteOlive-- I will email you thoughts on the diabetic thing after I talk to the resident vet about it! I wonder if she'd have an idea for you...
When we are out of homemade, we feed our kitties a prescription canned food that has no chicken products in it because one of our cats is allergic to chicken (who ever heard of such a thing?!)
MK: Um, can you post the recipe?! Because I would love, love, love to try it! Or email me...kgsavoie---gmail. Thanks!
Wow, you guys are awesome. And crazy. I have a friend who's always giving us various bone meal supplements and other jazz for our cat-- she's a homeopathic vet, but we have never gone whole hog with the food. One of our cats has urinary crystals and was supposed to be on the Hill's C/D (I think?) food but wouldn't eat it. Now we feed them wellness canned with bladder paste supplement and occasional treats of evo brand dry, which is like crack to them. Why do cats love the dry food so much?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info, Schroe! You're a good pet mama.
I may have to look up this post whenever we actually manage to get a dog or two. (Not in the immediate future, I'm afraid, since our apartment doesn't allow dogs. Our landlady does allow our four cats, though, so I can't really complain too much.)
ReplyDeleteCurrently, our crew eats health-food type dry crunchies for breakfast, and homemade raw food (which the fabulous PB makes) for dinner. The boys would happily eat whatever, and Her Highness prefers the raw (although she's picky about which meats, preferring turkey or rabbit) but Luna *really* likes the crunchies. So this compromise seems to work fairly well for us.
Wow. I am impressed with the care you provide.
ReplyDeleteI had a pet years ago(a puppy) that had an extreme mite issue (serious scabbing, hair loss, bleeding). We saw a vet that liked to combine western and holistic healing approaches. As such, I did everything I could to help boost the pup's immune system. We went with the raw food diet. A bit gross but it did it's magic. :)
Seriously, WOW. You are a super pet mom.
ReplyDelete