Nothing to see here folks, at 32w5d...everything is just fine. Fine. FINE!!
Seriously, no drama, and I realized, through following ttc and early pregnancy blogs, how much drama is an inherent-- and addictive-- part of this blogging cycle, and now that things are kind of a little bit, well...just pluggin' along...I don't have a whole lot to report on the pregnancy front. I mean, Speetus seems to be good & happy. My glucose test came back fine, BP is fine, weight unremarkable (+20-23 lbs., depending on how you count) and no depraved symptoms to speak of (aside from upper back pain, OMG. I had the prenatal massage last night and the therapist started in on the muscular wings that attach the scapulae, and there was audible crunching. She actually said, "Oh my!!" which I am pretty sure is a massage faux pas, but whatever.) Speedy & I have recovered from the birthday debacle (note to self: be more verbal-- hints do not cut it with my ever-so-subtle Speedy. Next time think sledgehammer.)
There has been NO, I mean, ZERO progress on the "nursery" front-- the quotes because really it is the Room Where We Store Stuff Speetus Might Need. Tonight we are picking up a used glider to add to the pile. I am going to enlist some friends to get the room into shape before the arrival, but they have to come one at a time, because it is too small for more than that. And there will be no murals because we just don't have that kind of time. Wall hangings we can handle-- I hope, because we have, like, 5.
Next weekend is our shower, which will only add to the mountain of Baby Stuff, though hopefully-- HOPEFULLY-- people will find it in their hearts to bring diaper creams and burp cloths over mobiles and other cute things that we don't actually need right now.
Other than that, the only pressing need we have is to find a pediatrician. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as questions to ask when doing the prenatal visit? What else should I be doing NOW that I will be kicking myself in eight weeks for not thinking about?
Our nursery is still just the room in which we store stuff. Period. I'm getting a little nervous.
ReplyDeleteCrossing my fingers for tons of butt-cream for you, which is really something I never thought I would say out loud.
I felt the same way near the end. Nothing remarkable to blog about. BUT I need to send you a photo of two cute stinkers who loooove their gifts from Aunt Schro and Aunt Speedy! :)
ReplyDeleteWhen looking for a pediatrician, you want to find one that jives with your style...or if s/he doesn't, treats your decisions with respect. Find out what the doctor thinks of the things you plan on doing (vaccination schedule, co-sleeping if applicable, when to start a baby on solids, thoughts on delayed milestones, etc). Go with your gut feeling as you hear the doctor talk about things. Also find out how long the wait times are at the office, when their lunch hour is, how many doctors are in the practice, and if you can contact the doc via email or will the doc return a call if you have a specific question you need answered)
ReplyDeleteso glad to hear your "nursery" is also a disaster. at least i'm in good company.
ReplyDeleteas for the ped, i think we're just going to use the practice our friends like and skip the pre-meeting, since our insurance won't cover it anyway. it's in PS and seems to get mostly good comments online, so email me if you'd like the name.
One bit of advice with the ped... if you plan to deliver at a hospital, you could look into a pediatrics practice with priveleges at that hospital. It's wonderful if your ped can be one of the first people to meet your baby, and also can help with paperwork transfer. Not necessary, but really wonderful if you can swing it.
ReplyDelete(My partner's family practitioner was scheduled to deliver our daughter, then immediately become her pediatrician. While she missed the birth by about 25 seconds, she was right there for the Apgars and those special first moments.)
Also, congratulations on boring. That's exactly what you want to be at this stage in the game.
why dont you just ask for bum cream.. i would rather know to get you something that you need than get you something you didnt... there is no harm in asking.
ReplyDeletehope the nursery gets done the way you want it!
Interview a few peds if you can and check out as much of the staff as you can. And have the discussions you think might be testy later - vaccines was one for us. If you ped knows your knowledgeable, will she defer to you? I love our ped, whom we interviewed but I hate the damn office and all the other staff. Cue conundrum. We've stuck with her but I question if many times.
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you in ho-hum land. I think the lack of drama sunk me into a bit of a depression a few weeks ago! But there will be plenty of drama soon enough...
ReplyDeleteSo far I'm finding the people who can't come to our shower (this Saturday) are the ones getting us gifts off the registry. Nipple cream was the first item purchased! I hope you get your butt cream and burp cloths. If you have friends who are newish parents, they are bound to get you practical things. Have an awesome shower!
Boring is great!!! Boring means healthy Schroe and Speedus!!
ReplyDeleteAs for peds, I love ours!!! As in I want to hug her. She matches us perfectly about breastfeeding and vaccinations. She knows pertinent research. She has a 24 hour number we can call. She saw us at the hospital. She is utterly respectful and she matches our caution level. You deserve all these things-- ask the questions. I am also super glad that Joey and I went to the interview together so we could guage her reaction.
Best luck and keep the low key updates coming.
Boring is fabulous! Boring is what we all strive for! Boring means that everything is going so well, there is NOTHING to complain or worry about! Hooray for boring I say!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear you're boring! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of with you on the "boring is good, but not to write about" front. Also, I can one-up you on the nursery front: not only is our future "nursery" currently "the room we've shoved baby stuff we don't have another place for", but we can't even really start doing anything, because we're waiting for the landlady to get the walls fixed and repainted. (Which is most likely going to require moving all the stuff back out of the room... Good times.)
ReplyDeleteYay for boring--I hope things stay that way for a little while!
ReplyDeleteAs for pediatricians, I think the most important thing is to find one you know you can trust if something unanticipated were to come up. I'm all for self-education and decision-making on your own for the big topics that you know you'll confront (immunizations, bf'ing, parenting styles, etc), and it's really important that your doctor support your plans and decisions, but you also need to feel like you can trust him or her to help you decide on things you can't necessarily anticipate. Our daughter's doctor has this amazing, calming presence that puts all of us instantly at ease, and we trust his opinions and advice. (One of the other doctors in his practice makes us anxious as hell and we don't trust his advice, and I hope hope hope we never have to see him again.) In short, go with your gut and find someone that you trust and feel comfortable and at ease with.