Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mama Drama

I have been walking around for days now, trying to figure out how to succinctly convey the upsetting disparity between the way that my (also dysfunctional, but very different) family is embracing this pregnancy (in a word, "YAY!!") and Speedy's family (specifically, her mother) is.

There is no simple way of describing the dysfunctional dynamics in Speedy's family, but I am going to try to break it down to the primary elements at play here. I should say that this is MY interpretation, and that Speedy may or may not agree with all of these assessments. I will happily make note of it if she reads this and feels I have mischaracterized any of the dynamics I am about to describe.

1) Speedy is and always has been Mama S's sole emotional support.
Mama S immigrated from North Korea, met Speedy's father, a Polish Holocaust survivor, abandoned her promising career as an OB/Gyn to marry him, move to Whitey White Whitebreadtown, NJ where she did not drive, had no local community or family support, and raised Speedy, then her twin sisters, Slouchy and Grouchy*, essentially all by herself. Because Papa S was, at best, emotionally stunted and not present, Speedy, Slouchy and Grouchy were their own island in Whitey White Whitebreadtown, just trying to survive. Mama S clung to Speedy as the eldest child and her sole means of support.

2) Love is finite and perilously conditional.
Mama S believes that love is a fixed quantity; therefore if Speedy loves me, there is less love for Mama S.

3) Speedy's gayness is a source of shame.
She would never, ever admit it, but Mama S is ashamed of Speedy's gayness. Never was this clearer than when we visited the other week. When Speedy's uncle saw me, he gestured at my belly and said, "What happened to you?!" Mama S invented a boyfriend for me on the spot. While Speedy's uncle actually called her on the bald-faced lie (triggering an angry outburst by Mama S in Korean), it was a watershed moment in my understanding of the Family S.

Despite all of this, Mama S is an extraordinary person. She is smart, wickedly funny (in a literal sense), and amazingly on top of life, especially given that she is 83. Speedy loves her, but Mama S's attitude toward us and Speetus is hurtful. To Mama S, Speetus is 1) a new and even more dangerous threat to her relationship with Speedy; 2) less love for her; and 3) not really Speedy's child, but an embarrassing and outwardly undeniable reminder of Speedy's gayness. So instead of being happy for Speedy and sharing in Speedy's joy, she reacts to all talk of the baby with denial (the Uncle Incident), dismissal ("So what? Everybody's pregnant!") or delusion ("I wish it were you," said to Speedy, who is 46.)

She is refusing to commit to coming to the shower, even though she's retired and has literally nothing else to do. Speedy and I would pick her up and bring her back home, and all she would have to do is agree to come. But all she says is, "Why you have shower? Slouchy and Grouchy didn't." My family is flying in from VT and trying to make a weekend of it, but without Mama S's commitment, Speedy and I can't make other plans, because we don't know whether and when we will be driving Mama S back and forth from Whitey White Whitebreadtown. To further complicate things, Speedy's mother, I suspect, is jealous of the time that Speedy and I spend with my family, as it takes away from the time we would otherwise theoretically be spending with her, so I believe part of the obstructionism is because of that.

Anyway, I realize that this drama is minimal compared to what others have endured, but it hurts me to see Speedy hurt by her mother, and to see the different ways we are already being treated because of the gestational circumstances of this baby. Had it been 10 years ago, it would have been Speedy carrying, and maybe I would be facing the same tepid response from my family as she is getting from hers. Maybe, though, Mama S would be able to feel real joy on her daughter's behalf, and maybe Speedy would feel what it is like to have a happy mother. Maybe. But it is not 10 years ago, and this is what we've got. The complicated, tangled, sticky reality of our families and their dysfunctions multiplied and twisted over generations and across different countries and cultures. And as I feel Speetus thump in my belly, I think, "One day, this will all be yours!**"


* I should say that despite the pejorative nicknames I have given them, I like Speedy's sisters a lot, possibly more than Speedy does, even though they are easy to caricature.

** But of course, Speedy and I will do it right, and raise a child free of any emotional scars in our own perfectly happy and balanced cocoon of family functionality.

15 comments:

  1. Well mama S is 83 and that's all i have to say.

    My mother is 63,ACK! I'm hoping old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! that is a whole lot of mother drama - very well put and clear for the reader - but wow! I think there is a book in there. I wish I had some advice. I guess I would say - what purpose does it serve to wait for her to make up her mind when your family is ready to make plans? I mean - is this a dynamic that has happened before? Is it likely to repeat itself and to set a precedent? I know your whole dilemma is not just about the baby shower - I'm just focusing in on it.
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Is it pulling you and Speedy in different directions? Can you strategize with her to make a united front.
    Good luck, my dear! Sending empathy galore your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Shower's are evil. D's mom ditched ours for a televised football game. If I were to do it over again I wouldn't have had one. Too many hurt feelings and too much drama. =P
    Hopefully once the baby is here Speedy's mom will understand your family better. I imagine at 83 it would be hard to change her ways...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a well-written portrait into some mighty complex family dynamics. I don't have much advice, but I wanted to comment and say that those issues sound mucho complicated and tricky to navigate. I know you and Speedy have a strong foundation to draw on though. I'm glad your family is giving you tons of support (does this include or exclude your dad?) and I hope Speedy's mom is able to make more baby steps towards seeing the three of you as the family that you are becomimng.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The concept of a finite amount of love having to be shared hit home for me. It's how I think D's mom feels - like I've been taking some of her share of the love and that with the addition of the babe, we are leaving her no love at all. I wasn't able to capture that in words and I'm so glad that you did - though the situation is no less awful for being awesomely perceptive :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad. Hard for Speedy who must feel torn. Hard for you not being fully embraced. And sad for MIL that she is cutting herself off from such joy. If Speedy can bring herself to set a firm yet kind limit with her mom, things might be easier.

    A story from Joey and I: my mother was basically telling people that Joey was my surrogate. (wth!?) So I gently yet firmly explained to my mom that she was confusing people and that I understood that telling everyone was hard for her. So I offered to call all my aunts and uncles myself to tell them that WE are expecting. My mom could not stand tge thought of me removing her from the loop and she miraculously found a wording that was far more inclusive. It's still a struggle at times but I figure every victory is important for our family.

    I hope you guys also find a more comfortable balance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, Nelly! That's a whole lot of drama. I will first say that I nearly choked on my coffee when you called her sisters 'Slouchy and Grouchy' LOL. Apparently I need a better nickname for mine, besides 'Psycho.' Anyway, thanks for enlightening us all on the details of the crazy. My jaw dropped when she invented the imaginary boyfriend- wow.
    I think at this point...I mean, we're all grown-ups here and we have to accept each other's faults and try our best not to continually be hurt by the stupid things people do over and over again (easier said than done). You know you can't expect much from her mom. We'll see how she is when precious Speetus is physically in the picture, but I don't think anyone can expect her to change at this point. I feel kind of bad for her in a way...she's trapped in a bubble of ignorance and loneliness, but she's not doing anything to make it better. Sad.

    You have your shower and whoever comes, comes...and try to focus on who IS there versus who isn't. Speetus will have to deal with the family situation that is handed down, just like we've all had to, but with two loving parents such as yourselves, Speetus will be just fine xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes. This all sounds really hard for both of you. I think you did a good job of presenting the situation, although yes, I can imagine Speedy might have another take on it. Slouchy and Grouchy have kids, yes? (you referenced their showers so I'm imagining so). How is she with them? It seems like if she can be a doting (or at least present) grandmother to them, there has to be some hope. I know it's not the same, but I know how much easier it will be for both you and Speedy if her mom can be a part of your lives in a real way once Speetus arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry. I know it sucks.

    I know you can't change her, but maybe the baby will. Meanwhile, I wish you luck navigating the quagmire of mother-in-law dysfunction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its situations like this where I just want to shake people and be like, "WTF! Its a baby! Pull your head out of your rump!" because really, whats more precious and full of joy than bringing a new life into this world? Geesh.

    Unfortunately, some people really struggle to move out of their comfort zone and get over their own insecurities, no matter what the motivation.

    I don't have much advice because, really, what can you do? Change cannot be forced. As a positive though, I think the unfolding of this dynamic should prove very useful when decided how NOT to treat your kid. In the long run, Speetus will be very grateful that you have emotional boundaries.

    *Sigh* best of luck sorting it out. Try not to drive yourself crazy :)

    P.S. big high-five to Speedy's uncle on calling the bs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oy. I remember when I was taking a class in college with the novelist Edmund White and I just thought he walked on water - he was confident and fabulous and an amazing writer and generous teacher. And one day he made a comment that no matter how successful, confident, or admired you are in the outside world, you go back into your family dynamic and suddenly you are assigned all the flaws and roles you were assigned as a young person. In other words, no one but your family can make you feel that frustrated, helpless, and misunderstood. And I thought to myself, sheeet, if this fabulously successful and charming man has to feel this way in his 50s, we're ALL screwed! Unfortunately, having our feelings jerked around by our parents and in-laws seems inescapable.

    I'm sure this is really hard for Speedy, and obviously for you. Maybe this is not an option, in terms of the way Mama S would handle it, but could you give her some kind of timeline for the shower? Like, "we need to know if you're coming to the shower by Tuesday, because if you're not we need to start making other plans." Whatever the case, I hope she decides to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, what a mama drama, indeed. I'm sorry you and Speedy have to go through this. It is really hurtful and a big deal. I hope that when the little one comes Mama S comes to her senses a bit and embraces Speetus as her own. I know when I've dealt with insensitive things my mom has said (much less hurtful than Mama S's words), everyone seems to think that the baby will change everything. Time will tell. I hope she at least comes to the shower in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry, this family stuff is hard. I can't believe she'd make up a boyfriend for you. We've also struggled some with extended family for recognition. All I can say is our families deserve better! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Complicated, tangled and sticky indeed. I feel for Speedy. I can't imagine the heaviness this puts on her heart and, in turn, yours. I'm going to do a little bit of wishing for your family, a little wish that Speedy's mom undergoes a transformation into the mother Speedy really needs once the babies are born. We can always hope right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. We recently found out that my partner is pregnant and it is amazing how different we've approached the pregnancy already in regards to our families. I can relate with the family challenges...it runs rampant in mine, too! I agree with so many of these postings-focus on those who do support and bring positive energy to the situation. This is such a beautiful time for you both! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.