Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday, Monday-- Updated with belly shot!

Thirty weeks and a few days, and I am getting quite "lusciously round" as one of my friends put it.  I'm more apt to describe it as walrus-like.  I am constantly slamming my belly into things-- doors, the corners of counters, the side of the shower--I have a mottling of bruises and scrapes along the most protuberant axis, and my back aches from compensating for the extra weight and volume.

My birthday is coming up and I am hinting VERY LOUDLY for a prenatal massage-- or maybe even a series!  Even though Speedy & I merged money a long time ago, this is just not a purchase I feel I can make for myself.  A stiff-upper-lip, thrifty Yankee I am at heart-- then dipped in a chocolately layer of self-indulgence and rolled in coconutty consumerism.

Speetus moves frequently now, and I am convinced s/he is lying transversely, as one of his/her favorite bedtime tricks is to simultaneously wallop each side of my uterus, a double wham-WHAM.  I picture Speetus as an ornery little gnome in there, getting all irate when the bedtime routine is complete and I settle into bed, putting an end to the day's action.  Wham-WHAM!  "Wake up!  Whaddya think I'm doing in here?!"  I always put Speedy's hand on my belly so she can feel the craziness.  It's like Alien vs. Monster in there. 

Last night I dreamed that I went to the hospital in labor and women were lining the halls on cots and gurneys, moaning, naked, birthing, while a few scattered attendants ran about trying to keep on top of things.  I was having triplets-- surprise!-- and quietly slipped them out with barely a push, one by one into my own hand , but they were tiny, the size of chicken wings, with waxen little faces.  At one point as I realized no one would be attending to me, I said, "I knew I shouldn't have gone to the hospital!"  This was my first birth anxiety dream. 

I think it was brought on by 2C1H because here I was, feeling so proud of myself & Speedy for accomplishing so much this weekend:  picking up and organizing a ton of donated baby clothes, putting together a crib and some drawers, a bassinet, and generally making the nursery look more like a nursery and less like a storage space...and here comes 2C1H with their gorgeous little mural and a photo of a nursery straight out of Pottery Barn Kids!  (I love it, btw-- just envious of your progress!)  So much for progress-- looks like I am wayyyy behind in the game!

But Speedy and I are going for a functional nursery, and given the space is about 6 x 10 feet, that's going to be a major feat in and of itself!  And we do LOVE our corner crib, donated by a good friend, even if all the fancy eyelet skirtings and canopy will stay in their little bag for the next person who has more patience for such things and fewer animals to shed on them.

In other Speetus news, our shower is at the end of this month.  I will have to post about the drama surrounding this, but it's not all fun.  There is a sad disparity in the way our families are embracing this pregnancy, and it hurts us both to see that Speedy's family is lukewarm at best, and at times almost hostile, to any talk of the baby, much less any baby-related event (e.g. the shower). But more on that later...Right now getting through the rest of this Monday is about all I can manage.

I have a 30 week belly shot, but because we have changed around our living room, it is inconsistent. (The horror!) I will post later today, though-- you can see for yourselves the luscious roundness that has descended upon me.

19 comments:

  1. Sorry for the shower drama and about her family. I really don't know what's wrong with people. I can only hope they're better once the child is physically in the picture.

    And you're doing fine on preparations! It'll all get done, don't worry. Looking forward to seeing your luscious belleh. We had a mover and a shaker in-utero, too, and he hasn't stopped since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You most definitely need that massage! And yes, preferably a whole series of them. Now and after speetus arrives. I'm happy to join your hint-dropping team if you like :-)

    I hope the shower goes well. I can imagine how hard it must be that Speedy's family is being so distant about the baby. Hopefully that will change once the wee-one arrives, but I know it's hard to count on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for the family drama. That is so not what you need right now.

    Looking forward to seeing your belly pic! Nursery pics would be great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha You are NOT behind! I'm just a freak for planning and being ready. :) Besides, while posting that nursery/mural pic I do not showcase the mountain of stuff piled in the closet on the other side of the room yet to be organized. Nor did I talk about how painful it was to put up that mural! I think Chris and I about killed each other at the beginning!
    It's all about how you angle the camera. ;)

    I can totally relate on the super kicking action lately. Esp when I lie down to sleep. In fact, last night I was doing little dances to try to get the baby to move. Ouch!

    We can relate on the family front also. 1 side super ecstatic and the other side luke warm as well. Not fun. I'm hoping the arrival of the baby will change all that.

    Let's see that belly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, drama. So sorry you have to deal with it. And happy almost-birthday!

    I would love to know which midwife/hostpital you ended up with. I am hoping for a midwife-in-hospital delivery in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Debbie G-- First, thanks for your comment, though now I am worried about the quality of the photos I have been publishing here!

    I went with Joanne Middleton and Janette (sp?) O'Sullivan to deliver at LICH. A lot went into that decision, but two primary factors were location and insurance coverage. I'd be happy to tell you in more detail if you want to email me at kgsavoie...gmail.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to avoid family drama when something like a birth or a wedding comes up. Hopefully they will get past it soon, but sometimes that sort of thing is enduring.
    I was cracking up about the baby's bedtime antics. One of mine had hiccups in-utero every night during the last month...and she still had them every night for the first month or so of her life outside too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belly-licious! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Speedy's fam was all in and your dad was the only hold out. Geez.....does it every end for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. luscious indeed!

    i heartily support a series of massages. i have gotten a couple at my old gym and they have this absolutely amazing adjustable pregnancy pillow that lets you lie face down while still supporting your belly. the massage therapist tells me very pregnant women come in just to lie on the pillow. totally worth it just for that!

    i'm sorry to hear there's been some un-fun elements to the event planning. i hope your shower is joyous, despite that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sad to hear about the families and hope things turn around once the baby arrives. It sucks to have that kind of drama around such a wonderful event. Boooo family drama!

    Massage - yes! Get it now before you get too big as it could get uncomfortable in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family drama is lame. Its a baby- why isn't everyone happy? It drives me nutty. Regardless, you are in fact lusciously round and I think it looks great on you. You do luscious well. Props, my blogfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look fantastic!!!
    i hope you get that prenatal massage - they are heavenly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh...beautiful belly. Sorry about the shower drama. I can only hold out hope that it is hard to remain lukewarm when in the presence of a beautiful newborn. Glad you are feeling Speetus rocking and rolling in there. And thanks for your comment earlier as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the luscious roundness! And yes, I hear you on the in-law dramas. El Prima's family didn't know I was pregnant (except via the kids talking to their cousins) and we didn't hear anything from them after the accident. I made a decision long ago not to care, but it is really hard when it feels like your child is not acknowledged. Hoping things smooth out for you xxxh

    ReplyDelete
  16. I should post more on the drama soon, but it pales in comparison to what you describe, Hanen. What a hurtful, horrible way for them to treat you & El Prima, especially after how much horror and hurt you have already been through. I am so sorry to hear that. Making the decision not to care is much easier than truly not caring, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful that belly is! Well done mama.

    I too can relate to the in-law drama. My partner’s mother refuses to talk or make eye contact with me, didn’t attend our house warming 7 years ago and pretended our wedding didn’t exist. It’s a really hard situation and I’m sure adding a little one to the mix only stirs the pot but I know you both will be strong and that little one will feel all the love. I hope for you both things are smoothed over soon and that your little one brings solidarity and excitement. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the belly! i'm sorry speedy's family is being poopie.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.