Friday, October 15, 2010

Reductio ad absurdum & random asides

I want to start a movement to replace the "In God We Trust" (what "we"??) on this country's currency with "Reductio ad Absurdum".  I think it reflects the position of this nation much more accurately.  It also reflects the state of things around here.

As I last blogged, Speedy's family drama is one part of that.  (Incidentally, after my last post, she climbed into bed at about 1 a.m.-- after returning from her late shift night-- and whispered, "Slouchy and Grouchy, huh?"  After we laughed for several minutes, she said, "But you didn't explain about my tyrannical father."  So, yes-- there's more where that came from, but I tried to stick with what was directly relevant to the issue at hand.)

My own issues are another part of it.  Poor Speedy often feels pathologized for her family's obvious dysfunction and the long-lasting effects that it has had on her and those around her.  In that context, my boring, WASPy family without any overt issues doesn't hold as much drama, and my scars are less visible.  But they are there, and this pregnancy has brought them into the light as much as the underlying vasculature of my chest now stands out in stark blue against my pale skin.  It was always there, but holy sh-t!  You can really see it now!

My issue, in a nutshell:  I don't trust other people to take care of things (me, or anything) and so I try to do everything myself.  This goes by a lot of names:  controlling, perfectionism, domineering.  Conversely, it is, at its heart, a real fear that no one will love me/care for me/nurture me when I need it.  So I go into overdrive asserting my independence from such needs, and maintaining everything in my life just so.  Obviously, in a relationship, this has its pros and cons:  I always do the dishes, but I can be extremely critical when things are done by other people and not done my way.

Cut to... my birthday early this week.  The one day a year when I, deep down, really, really want to be taken care of.  Don't get me wrong: I am not a diva about it.  I don't need breakfast in bed and flowers sent to my work. I abhor expensive gifts and things I don't want and can't use....but I do want to feel...nurtured and loved.  But because of aforementioned insecurities I have a hard time expressing that, and an even harder time trusting someone (namely, Speedy) to do it.  So I say nothing, pretend it's no big deal.  I say, "Just get me a passionfruit tartlette (my favorite pastry on earth) and a card." And a prenatal massage, which Speedy did send me a certificate for last week, thank you!

But on the actual day of my birthday, I went to work as usual and Speedy worked the 10-10 shift, meaning I left and came home before her.  In the morning, she had no card, but that was ok.  She said "happy birthday" and handed me a scrap of paper declaring her love and apologizing for not having a card.** Then she walked the dogs and made me lunch and sent me off with a kiss. But at work I started to worry. With each hour that I got no phone call, no card, no surprise e-mail, no sweet text, I was feeling more and more precarious.  I got some sweet calls and emails from friends, all of whom noted that "This is the last birthday you have that will be all about YOU!" causing me to scoff miserably over my keyboard. When Speedy called at 4 p.m. not to tell me "I love you.  Happy birthday." But- "I didn't have time to clean the kitchen before I left for work, sorry." I nearly lost it at my desk.  When I got home to still no card, no note, and nothing but a dirty kitchen, I walked the dogs, took out the trash, made dinner, cleaned the kitchen, all while crying in the dark.  By the time Speedy came home with a hastily-purchased card, and, belatedly exclaimed, "Oh, sweets, I forgot your tartlette!" I TOTALLY FREAKIN' LOST IT.

I sulk, I reproach, and I go to bed actually sobbing by now.  (Oh my goodness, you guys have no idea, and I am not helping-- but I am SO Not That Person.)  Reductio ad absurdum.

Anyway, suffice it to say, we have recovered.  Speedy got me not one, but a dozen passionfruit tartlettes the next day and vowed to make the next 364 days "my birthday every day" since my real birthday was a bummer.  But oh, how these pregnancy hormones have made me into a raging emotional basketcase of a person that I barely recognize.  In some ways, though, it is good, because it's not like I didn't have these emotions before.  I just never would have copped to them. Wow.

**In an earlier version of this post, I failed to mention this part, giving the misleading impression that Speedy did not acknowledge my birthday at all, which is not what I meant to imply.
.....

Anyway, thank you for your concern & compassion and all your comments about Mama S.  It turns out she will be going to the baby shower.  I have mixed feelings about this, because I am afraid of what she will say or do to hurt Speedy & me.  But at least the effort is being made, anyway.  It is one of those things that is a lose-lose proposition: either she doesn't come and we both feel hurt, or she does come and we worry and stress about what she will say or do to make us miserable.  For as much as I adore my mother, my family is just not that close, and so we don't have these tangled, emotional games to play with each other.  This is altogether new territory to me.

I hope Speetus will shift some things, but I have no expectation of that actually happening.  The other grandkids are spoiled according to their position on a very clear hierarchy (as decreed by Mama S) and I suspect that Speetus will fall to the bottom of that pecking order upon arrival.  But I guess that is something we will have to face when we get there.  As many of you noted, there is still room for surprise!


.....

And HOLY EARLY BABY DAY!!  Congratulations to Cindy and Joey and Aiden & Seth!

....

Oh, and because I sometimes feel like a Grinchy freak for hating the October pinkathon of corporate-sponsored-breast-cancer-awareness-so-you-must-buy-our-swag month of consumerism dressed up in fashionable fuschia-tinged-faux-philanthropy, I bring you Twisty.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry your birthday was kind of a bummer. I agree, learning to ask for help and to ask for what you want are good life skills to practice. Not ones that come naturally to me either but I'm trying. (I realize that with two babies, two dogs, a cat, a house, a yard, and two full time jobs, DOING IT ALL MYSELF is not an option. So I'm trying to start conditioning myself to asking for help NOW. To some success.) And I hear you on the hormones. I have had a nice reprieve from them for the last 5 or 6 weeks but then yesterday I cried over having to wait 15 minutes for the shuttle to the parking lot. Made me feel like a complete lunatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. I'm really sorry that happened. That "last" birthday has all kinds of significance, and it's hard when it doesn't get recognized in the way it ought to. I'm very glad you two have reached a happy dozen-tartlettes medium now, and wish you a belated happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! I'm sorry it was crappy. I remember those hormones sending me into a tailspin over far less when I was pregnant. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! And may you have many, many more tartlets throughout your lifetime you sweet hormonal thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I have to say, hormones aside, that seems like an objectively sucky bday. Fern and I do a lot more gifty and celebration for bdays so the circumstances would be different, but, still, I would FREAK OUT if she didn't acknowledge the day and then forgot to get me the one thing I wanted. Frrrrrrreak out. And I am not pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I should point out that Speedy *did* acknowledge that it was my birthday-- on a scrap of paper apologizing for not having a card-- which was just the start of my self-pitying spiral that day. I will go back and fix the entry, though, to be fair to Speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your birthday sucked. Happy Belated Birthday! (And hey, if you're celebrating your birthday for the next 364 days, then just plain Happy Birthday!)

    I'm also sorry you're having so much drama with Family S. If it makes you feel any better, we barely got my in-laws (parents only, no siblings) to come out to our wedding. The wedding was on a Saturday, and they arrived late Friday and left early Sunday, and that was after PB had to explain in no uncertain terms that no, it was not okay for just one of them to come out and "represent" everyone. I thought that the lure of a new grandchild might be enough to get them to come visit us for a little longer, but no, I think they're going to insist that we meet them at a time share instead. Because nothing sounds better to me than getting onto an airplane with an ~1-3 week old baby. They aren't quite as... dramatic, on the whole, as your in-laws, it sounds like, but I can empathize.

    As for the hormones... well, they don't last forever. And it probably is a good thing, on the whole, if they're causing you to mention things that would have upset you anyway. Although I can see where the sobbing inconsolably is not ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday. Sorry it was such a sucky day for you. I think I would have pushed for the prenatal massage series with that kind of a bday! At least the tarlettes came in abundance once everything was figured out. :) A pregnant lady cannot have too many tarlettes.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.