Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The birth of Jonas David, Part 1: Au naturale

First off, thank you so much for all your sweet and supportive comments!  It was so lovely to have those to look forward to when I got out!

This story may be a bit long and redundant because I wanted to get everything down in one place, from the midwife induction threat to the post-partum blizzard we endured. It goes without saying that this whole thing is TMI.

On Tuesday, eleven days after I was due, we went in for a scan to determine the level of amniotic fluid and the baby's position, etc. All checked out well. The baby was active and happy, and fluid was more than sufficient. Smug with the happy news that the baby was in no imminent danger despite his tardiness, we went to the midwife. There, after I was cursorily examined, the midwife told me I was not dilated or effaced at all, and that she could not sweep the membranes, but if I did not start labor by Thursday, she wanted us to come in for an induction on Friday morning at the latest. After having a melt-down upon hearing this, I went into emergency action mode, booked three acupuncture appointments, bought some black cohosh and evening primrose oil and got down to inducing my own labor (with some help from Speedy, of course.)

Whether it was the herbs, the acupuncture, or just because it was finally time, by Thursday morning I noticed some blood when I wiped, and a couple of hours later I peed and felt the loss of my mucous plug-- hooray! By Thursday night I was pretty crampy, but there were no signs on serious impending labor and I knew that after the loss of the plug it could still take days for labor to begin.  But when I woke at 4:30 on Friday morning with regular cramps that took some solid breathe-in/breathe out business to get through I started to get hopeful.

By 7:30, the cramps were getting stronger, and I woke Speedy to let her know what was going on. She got up, took the dogs out and came back to make coffee and breakfast. I was not interested in breakfast, but I drank some ginger ale, which would come back to haunt me in a very short time. By 9:30 Speedy started timing my contractions, and to our astonishment, found that they were only three minutes apart. I was still in some kind of doubt about about whether I was "really" in labor, thinking that this could be false labor, and that it might stop as suddenly as it started, but the regularity and intensity of the contractions made it seem more promising.

At this point, Speedy went to the upstairs neighbors to borrow their keys. IN the time she was gone, my contractions suddenly grew stronger, and one doubled me over and I ran to the sink to barf. I have always been a barfy person. Too much laughter, too much to eat, too long car rides, too much stress, too much to drink-- I will barf every time. Once my brother even made me barf by mere power of suggestion alone ("You're looking a little nauseous. Do you need to throw up?") But as was wretching over the kitchen sink, my water broke and I was suddenly standing in a flood hot amniotic fluid as it gushed to the floor.

When Speedy came back I told her that now I was pretty sure I was in labor and she could call the doula.  I got in the shower, which I thought would make me feel better, but while the water felt good on my back,  my contractions seemed to intensify dramatically-- I was rocking and moaning at this point, alarming Speedy with my noise enough that she came rushing in to check on me.  By the time the doula came, I was out of the shower and on all fours on the bed, in my underwear with my ass in the air, rocking with my head on the bed, trying to get through the crashing pain of contractions that were one on top of the other.

When she came in, I felt her hand on my back and heard her voice, and I could only imagine what the scene looked like from her perspective.  "You seriously do this for your job?" is the first thing I think I said to her.  At this point , everything had kind of gone to hell.  My labor plan of making banana bread, taking the dogs out, going shopping, etc., had all been blown to pieces by the near constant, all-consuming pain of the contractions.  After I got some clothes on and went upstairs, Megan the doula and Speedy just hung out with me while I intermittently convulsed.  The only position I found comfortable was standing, or on all fours, leaned over with my forehead pressed against some surface.  After several hours like this, my back ached from all the leaning., my throat was raw from all the moaning and my forehead was bruised from pressing against various surfaces.

Finally at around 2:30, Megan suggested we call the midwife since I was contracting nearly constantly and with such intensity that Megan feared that the contractions had stopped progressing.  The midwife, the same one who told me we might have to induce, said that if I went to the hospital then, I would almost certainly be only 1-2 centimeters dilated and would then be there only to get an epidural.

People, I am crazy stubborn.  On hearing this, even though I could not even stand up straight for long enough to make a whole lap around the kitchen without having another contraction, I was all, "hell no, I won't go!" and poor Speedy and Megan were stuck watching me writhe with decreasing capacity for conversation for another four hours.

By 6:30 I had become nearly catatonic-- labor is not for the weak of heart, I'm telling you!  Ex came to walk the dogs and I remember I was lying on the couch, holding Lolo's paw for comfort  and dozing between contractions.   Around this time I started to wonder if this was the infamous "transition" state--   I had stopped trying to hold conversations and was having little cat naps between intense and long-lasting contractions.  When Megan asked me what my pain was on a scale on 1-10, I said 8, but she didn't seem to believe me, thinking that I must have been higher than that.

After ex brought the dogs back, Megan called the midwife again, and this time when she hung up, Megan said she felt we should go to the hospital, because either my labor was progressing and I was about to give birth or it had stalled and I would need to find that out and assess my options from there.  After some discussion, made slower by the haziness of my brain (I kept insisting I needed a full disclosure of risks and benefits but did not have the capacity to consuder them all at once.) we decided that yes, we would go.

Speedy got our bags together and I put on some sneakers and we left.  As soon as we git outside, the cold air reinvigorated the strength of my contractions, and I doubled over the rail at the bottom of our stoop and roared.  Megan looked at me and said,  "That is what I wanted to hear!"

The half-block walk to the car and the mile drive to the hospital took forever.  I kept peeping out the window expecting that we must surely be there by now, only to see that we had gone only a block or two since the last time.  Finally, at the hospital, we entered through the ER at about 7:30. Megan came with me while Speedy parked the car. The hospital I chose is a bit down-scale and bare-bones and to get to the ER you have to go up a flight of stairs, which doubled me over again-- now I was openly crying and screaming and swearing up a storm.  At the top of the stairs there was a bank of pay phones, where I again doubled over and shouted through a contraction, only to curse out the filthiness of public phones at the end, which made Megan laugh.  I followed Megan through the maze of corridors and elevators to get to L & D, clinging to walls as I cried through contractions.  (Really, I was a total shit show!)

My midwife met me outside L & D and whisked me straight to the birthing room to examine me-- I was 8-9 cm dilated, and my waters had only partially broken, so she broke open the rest and I got off the table.  As soon as I stood up, hot amniotic fluid gushed to the floor, soaking my socks and sneakers, which were inexplicably still on.  (I have no recollection of the details of how or when I got undressed.)  The pressure was immediately ten times greater and with each contraction more fluid than I ever imagined sluiced out of me. My midwife told me that I should just "go with" my urge to push (which I wasn't feeling so much as I was feeling the horror of how big and heavy this child was that was apparently imminently going to try to exit my uterus through my vagina. 

I got back on the table with some trepidation and Speedy came into the room.  Suddenly everyone was shouting for me to push and I just couldn't fathom it.  I had endured so much...I thought this was supposed to be the part where nature and endorphins did the job for me.  When the midwife told me again to push, I told her, "You've got to be fucking kidding me!"

Then it was a furious blur as people shouted at me to push and forcing an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose.  I was so overheated I kept batting it away and the frustrated nurse gave poor Speedy the job of oxygenating my very cranky self.  With every contraction they kept shouting and I kept screaming and trying even though it hurt like hell and I was terrified of the pain.  Finally the midwife announced she could see the head and I redoubled my efforts, though I felt like I did not have the strength.  After what seemed to be an eternity, but was probably only another contraction or two of inconceivable pain (and, no, I have not forgotten, nor did it feel like it was somehow manageable at the time), Jonas David's head emerged with a healthy cry of protest, with his hand up by his cheek in a twisted greeting, followed quickly by his slippery body.  It was 8:39-- we had been at the hospital for all of an hour.

I was so happy to have had a completely unmedicated labor without any interventions at all, aside from the amniotomy.  Speedy witnessed Jonas's debut into the world, and by sheer luck my parents had driven into town that very afternoon and were in the delivery room just two hours after his birth.

That's it for now: Jonas is demanding feeding, which has become our biggest chalenge following his birth.  More on that later.

23 comments:

  1. What an amazing story. Congrats on a lovely birth...Welcome to the world, Jonas! I am so happy for you all! (Sadly, your 12 hours sounds all too similar to my 12 hours of "practice contractions" ur, dehydration and I have much less to show for it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic birth story! You were amazing! I love how you describe your son's entrance into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome birth story, thank you for sharing!! I too endured natural childbirth and you're right...that $&%*@!# hurts! I'm getting an epidural this next time, lol. I looooove his name!!! Post more photos of his cuteness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, incredible story.

    i love jonas' name - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story and great name.

    It seems so rare that people get the birth they want, and you did. What a thing to celebrate!

    Congratulations, and enjoy that boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me crying and laughing all at the same time. You are amazing and this is an amazing birth story. I'm so happy for you and so impressed by your will.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful birth story! Congratulations on all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an incredible story! I am so happy for you that you got the experience you wanted. Sounds like that stubborn streak you mentioned really helped out in this instance! Welcome to the world, Jonas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the world Jonas! Great name and great story. SO glad you had the unmedicated labor you wanted. Sounds like you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the detailed description, and I am so thrilled for you that you got the birth you wanted for your beautiful baby boy. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You told your story so fantastically well. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I had to laugh when you talked about your labor projects being blown away. :)
    Hand on face is a hard presentation (for some reason all three of my girls came out that way so I know what you mean...especially at the end. Ouch.)
    That was long hard work in every way. What came through in your story was how well you and Speedy work together!! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, Schroe, I am impressed! You did awesome-- I am in awe that you hung out at home until you were like 9 centimeters. That's incredible. And, um, thanks for the little kick in the pants that labor pain does not magically disappear from memory as soon as you hold your precious baby, or whatever other silliness people say. I mean, really, how could you forget? Congrats again! I can't wait to hear more when you have time. (Ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. GO YOU!! What an amazing story. You did it and you let him pick his birthdate. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing birth story! I was on the edge of my seat reading every word! (;
    Jonas is a GREAT name. In fact, just the other day, I was saying I really loved it. I wish I could remember where I saw it or why I was thinking about it because I was really surprised to see it again so soon.
    Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that things worked out well for you and you got to labor mostly at home. Jonas is so cute and I know you two are savoring every moment. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Sounds like you timed it just perfect. Such a wonderful story. Love his name and can't wait to see more of him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing your birth story!!! Your baby is so adorable! I'm very glad that you made it through to the other side like a champion. CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic story. I had a feeling that once he finally was ready to come, it would be fast and furious. So thrilled that you got almost everything you wanted out of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, how i love a good natural birth story! congrats on what seems like a seamless labor from this end. can't wait to hear how life with Jonas is going for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Incredible. Best birth story ever, hands down. Thanks for writing it all down for us to enjoy. And Jonas is gorgeous. Did I mention that in the last post? Beautiful baby boy. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great story. Terrifying, but only for the pain part, not the birth. Its nice to hear a birth that was natural and NOT also a horror story! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was a lot of fun to read- it's a really great birth story and you all did a wonderful job! Love his name as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! You wrote this first part so well!

    I especially love this part -

    "My midwife told me that I should just "go with" my urge to push (which I wasn't feeling so much as I was feeling the horror of how big and heavy this child was that was apparently imminently going to try to exit my uterus through my vagina. "

    I love this very detailed explaination of how your mind thought in that moment.

    I'm off to read part two! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.