Today officially makes 77% of you and my midwife very sweet, but wrong. Eleven days and no sign of Pokus! I have a scan this a.m. (NST and sono) and a midwife appt this afternoon. According to things I have read, this amount of overdueness is anything from normal to fairly rare.
I am getting more & more worried about induction, complications, and c-section. I know as the baby gets older it is more likely to produce meconium in utero, which increases the likelihood of calls for emergency c-sections. I know I have little control at this point, but the anxiety is hitting a high.
Has anyone out there gone this late? I know up to 42 weeks is considered "normal" but I am 41w4d and counting. 42 seems almost inevitable at this point. I cursed myself for wanting a Capricorn. One thing about them: they take too damn long to think about everything. This baby just needs to come on out!!
I will update after the appointments, this afternoon. I think I will ask for a membrane sweep, on the off chance that that will get things moving...
Don't you just love how they aren't even in the world and already they don't listen :) Get out baby, get out now!!
ReplyDeleteOh babe. Hang in there. I've had several friends deliver 12 and 13 days late and had problem-free vag. deliveries in every case. Talk with your midwife today about your fears, she will help you come up with a PLAN and make you feel like the endpoint is near. He'll be here by xmas, promise!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're stressing out. Your LO will be here soon and then time will fly by so quickly you'll be amazed! Enjoy your last few days of waiting. (:
ReplyDeleteFWIW, I was sooo afraid to have a c-section and I ended up having one. It wasn't the awful beast I had imagined it to be - AT ALL. It was simple and recovery was smooth. Of course It wasn't something I had *wanted*, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
Justine went two weeks late, which were some of the longest two weeks ever. We did not end up with the birth we'd hoped for (induction, thick mec, c-section, nicu) but looking at our gorgeous six month old, I only feel completely lucky and grateful.
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised they haven't done the sweep yet. Definitely go for it- it's uncomfortable, but can get things started. In our case, labor began about 12 hours afterwards. Good luck! It simply can't be much longer now!
ReplyDeleteMiles was born at 41 weeks 2 days. I had a "stretch and sweep" at my 41 week midwife appt. and went into labor a few hours later. The sweep was NOT comfortable, but I'm certain it's what got things going. I was already at -1 station and 4 cm dilated, stretched to almost 5. After he was born, the midwife and OB told us he was in a very poor position with his head tilted and was having trouble descending, hence the need for my vacuuum assist. He did pass meconium, but we didn't know it until he was out and covered in it. And he was totally fine, no assistance needed after he was out.
ReplyDeleteI've been where you are, and it bites. Sorry!
Come on already Pokus! :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe you're destined to have a Christmas baby after all.
I know I haven't yet written about Quinn's birth but I ended up with a C section. The section and recovery were far easier than I had thought they would be. (Just say no to the narcotics if you end up there - they whacked me out.)
I'm convinced you're still going vag though! There's no reason to think otherwise.
sending big hugs to you and hopes that pokus comes soon and you can have the birth you want. ((()))
ReplyDeleteDefinitely get a membrane sweep! I'm surprised they haven't tried that 2 weeks ago? I went 5 days after my membrane sweep, good luck!!
ReplyDeleteThose dang Capricorns can indeed be stubborn! Here's to hoping Pokus is off by one day... Lots of healthy birthing energy being sent your way from Canada!
ReplyDeleteThose dang Capricorns can indeed be stubborn! Here's to hoping Pokus is off by one day... Lots of healthy birthing energy being sent your way from Canada!
ReplyDeleteOh hon. I hope that baby comes soon! The only good thing about my C section was the drugs, but it will be what it will be.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get the birth you deserve and you have a baby by Christmas.
COME TODAY POKUS!!! Share your birthday with me!
ReplyDeletetheo was 11 days late--but s. was induced due to low amniotic fluid. she still had the natural birth in the hospital that she wanted though--it is still extremely possible!!
ReplyDeleteOh, Shroe. I just can't imagine what you're going through. I was feeling desperate just by getting to my due date with no action! One of the women from our birthing class was at the hospital when we were - she went to 42 weeks and was induced. She did wind up with a C-section. The unknown is the hardest part about the endzone, I think. There were a few moments after I got the epidural when the baby's heart rate dropped and I was sure they were going to roll me down the hall into the OR for a C-section after all of that labor. You just don't know what's coming at any second. And you're probably at the point where you're thinking you should probably throw up your hands and give up on the waiting! I hope it's soon and I hope it goes as well as it possibly can!
ReplyDeleteSending lots of good ripening opening thoughts your way! Sorry it's so anxiety making(())
ReplyDeleteThinking good thoughts for you. While I didn't go late, my partner did and it's excruciating. After all, the most exciting thing ever is about to happen, and then it takes forever.
ReplyDeleteBut it's worth it in the end.
I bet you won't have a c-section, but maybe you should do a little preparation just in case. Sort of like bringing an umbrella so it doesn't rain, right?
While I wasn't that surprised or upset to have a c-section (my huge-meloned babe was never planning to descend), I wish I had prepared a little better. I apparently 'asked' for the maximum meds in the epidural, and was very fuzzy later. In retrospect, I would have talked to the anesthetist about striking a balance between comfort during the surgery and being 'present' afterward.
Thinking about you and yours. I know it feels like forever, but Pokus will be in your arms soon.
good luck keeley!!! i am visualizing that baby coming outta your whoowhoo.
ReplyDeletexoxo
stephanie