Yesterday was my last day at work. I will work from home next week (or "as long as feasible") and then...then it is mommyland for 3 months! I am looking forward to it. Leaving work was not hard, though I do not mind my job 90% of the time. The key is, I do not mind it, but I definitely do not love it. I have lovely colleagues and a great boss; the job itself is moderately interesting and even intellectually challenging on occasion, but it does not in any way inspire me or make me feel that I am doing something of vital importance, or improving the world in any significant way. I am a working stiff, schlepping to and from and dreaming of the day in the (I hope) not-too-distant future that Speedy and I can get off the gerbil wheel of work-a-day life. I will not miss it.
After some sweet good-byes and awkward hugs, I left carrying nothing more than a plastic deli bag with my favorite pens and some pilfered post-its. More than three years and this is all I want for my three-month hiatus. As I left I snapped one last picture to remind me: Of the empty toilet roll in the bathroom stall that was my last stop. That just says it all!
Don't forget to vote on the right: currently it is almost 2-to-1 in favor of a girl, with an equal number of people voting "a little of both" or "who cares?" as for boy. We'll find out very soon! Then I will poll everyone about god, because these polls tickle me.
Pilfered post-its are a good thing to swipe, if you ask me :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on making it through the last week "at" work and I haven't voted for the sex of the babe yet b/c I just LOVE to wait to hear the news (err..read it??)
You guys are getting so close!! This is it!! :) Sending lots of lovely birthing vibes your way!
Congratulations on finishing work - I can't believe how close you are! I could describe my work situation in much the same way as you have (though I do think it does a bit of good for the world). Postits are a good way to go.
ReplyDeleteMaybe the poll should be pens or post-its :)
ReplyDeleteMy last day at work I made sure I left with all the pens I like - so no one would get any funny ideas while I was out! I'm a picky-pen-person.
How many times can I vote? Maybe I'll just keep switching off until you push that baby out! :)
How exciting!
ReplyDeleteHow many of us could describe our work like that? It's sad that so many of us feel this way. I think work needs a makeover - to part time for everyone with mandatory community service component for everyone earning more than is decent - esp the top earners who don't deserve that kind of compensation!
ReplyDeleteBut I digress!
Enjoy your time off and prepare yourself for bliss!!!
And I've been meaning to say this for a while: seriously consider hiring a dog walker for the first few weeks at least. And ask them to do the cat litter while they are there.
Just sayin!
So excited to meet Das Speetus!
congrats on your last day!.. i cant wait for mine when it happens!
ReplyDeleteLast day, how exciting! I'm glad your job is good but you have no sadness in leaving it for a hiatus. Good call on the pens. I have major pen issues, and pencils, too. The kids know which pencils are mine, and they (mostly) don't touch them.
ReplyDeleteI'm still saying girl! I guess we'll know soon enough! Dreamed I was having a girl last night, but I also dreamed (same dream) that there was a giant tank of mutant alligators in my backyard, so I don't think I can put a lot of stock in that dream. In fact, I think I should probably go google dream symbolism...
Good luck, mama! You're going to do great. :)
Isn't that a relief to be done with work for awhile! Catch your breath and relax, he/she will be here soon.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Can't wait to hear what songs made the cut for the birthing CD
You know, I think "Most of the time I don't mind it" pretty much sums up my feelings about my job as well. I'm definitely looking forward to the time away, to be honest.
ReplyDeleteAlso: Wow, y'all are getting close. Whoa. The logical part of me knows that these things progress along a fairly fixed timeline, but a less rational part of me sort of believes we'll all just be pregnant forever.
Additional Also: I sort of love that poll. It kind of makes me want to do one, but then I feel like that's sort of cheating, given that PB and I know the answer already.
! Congrats on last-work day, and here's the quickly approaching celebration!
ReplyDelete2 days to go! AAAAHHHHHHHH!
ReplyDeleteWoohoo! Welcome to your babycation!
ReplyDelete