So, thank you again for your comments & support.
I am not in a good frame of mind at the moment, so I am going to keep this short. After my biophysical scan, which revealed plenty of fluid and an active, happy baby, I expected to have the midwife tell me that, while they watch more closely at this time, nothing indicated the imminent need for induction. But, in a word: no.
The midwife (the one I do not much care for) informed me that they do not go past two weeks, and if nothing changed, I would have to come in on Thursday night or Friday to begin an induction. Which immediately triggered full on melt-down from me. Not only was her delivery (no pun intended) piss poor, but she didn't seem at all interested in answering my questions (like why two weeks is a hard-and-fast rule, when there are no indications of distress) nor in talking about other things we might do before cervadil. I just felt like she could have handed me a ticket that said "C-section express" with as much compassion.
So, Speedy & I discussed it with many tears (mine-- I have a long-standing outright phobia of hospital stays, and was only barely able to get my head around being in one for 24 hours after birth) and agreed that unless the next scan (Thurs) actually reveals a reason for concern, we're going to respectfully reject her advice, and give ourselves till Monday to get this rotten reluctant child out on our own. Until then it is acupuncture, sex and nipple stimulation until I cannot bear it any more.
I wanted a Capricorn. And that is what I am going to have, a stubborn, willful little goat.
I'm sorry Schroe that the midwife is such a BEEYOTCH!!! But thankfully you have your partner on your side. If you dont want to be induced, no one can make you!!! Be as stubborn as Pokus :) I think he/she is having a great time in there and sees no reason to leave. Here's hoping that Pokus comes out soon, all on his/her own without the assistance of midwfe Idiot!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry, what a rotten thing to hear! Hopefully it won't come Monday, but good for you on willfully ignoring her. Come ON Pokus!!
ReplyDeleteI am angry on your behalf. That was in no way compassionate care. I am also really glad you and Speedy are on the same page. I think your resolution is very reasonable. Have you found this website already? It looks sensible and potentially helpful.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/natural-ways-to-induce-labor.html
Oh man Schroe, I'm sorry, that really really sucks. Feel free to throw a huge pity party for yourself right now. It's okay to be upset/angry/sad/frustrated/exhausted/impatient/scared etc.
ReplyDeleteHave you done the dreaded castor oil yet?
I think your plan to hold out until Monday (if no distress) is a solid one. Our Doula said that a lot of times inductions are scheduled around the holidays in an effort to plan better. Therefore you may be falling into the category of "induction before Christmas day" for that very reason. Our option for induction was December 24th or 28th. =P
ReplyDeleteAlso - induction isn't a fast pass to c-section. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have jumped on the epidural as quickly as I had. I think THAT caused more of an issue because it slowed everything down.
You can do it!
I'm sorry you're so miserable. :( It can still happen on its own - V was totally fine and her water broke very suddenly. I hope it's the same for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry the Pokus is taking you to this point. I'm sorry that your midwife doesn't get it. That really sucks.
ReplyDeleteI've got my fingers crossed for you that your happy little clam decides it's time to check out the world outside sooner rather than later.
ay, what a wretched appointment. i am so sorry, and i think your monday plan sounds perfectly solid. much love to you both and your little goat.
ReplyDeletei can't quite wrap my head around the fact that by the time i get back to bk, s'pokus will be there, too.
Ugh! That kid just does not want any piece of this NY winter, huh? I'm glad you and Speedy are going to advocate for what you want. Not that I know anything, but I agree that if everything seems fine, no need to sound the alarm. Sending water breaking thoughts your way.
ReplyDeleteMy bet (not literally - I didn't join the pool) is that Pokus will be moving along in the next day or so and you won't need that nasty cervadil. Hang tight. It's going to happen soon! BTW, my mom's doc told her to scrub the floors. Worked for her when she had me.
ReplyDeleteOh, Schroe. I'm sorry your midwife doesn't seem to recognize that the baby is FINE and that there is a dang range of gestations and that it is fine. Movie Gyrl is right-- no one can induce you without your consent. What cycle day was your IUI? 40 weeks might not even be accurate if dated from your period if you ovulated on like day 16 or 17 or something.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, hon. That little goat can't last too much longer! Put some ice on your belly? ;)
Here's hoping little Pokus makes his/her debut before Monday (hell, before Thursday even). {{{}}}
ReplyDeleteI hope you continue to follow your gut- it has not failed you thus far- I have heard enough to know that sometimes even the most hardy of natural birth advocates can be swayed to follow the masses for one reason or another. . .not saying that no intervention will be necessary, just saying that a default assumption should not hold sway over your gut:) My 2 cents as the mother of 6:)
ReplyDeleteHopefully that little stubborn kiddo will make an appearance soon! If not, I think its right to trust yourself and follow your instincts. We're routing for you!
ReplyDeleteBeing so close to the end but still with no end in sight is so difficult - painfully so in fact. I feel for you.
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping that baby comes asap so you won't have to worry about the rest of it.
sending love your way. your plan sounds good - it is your body, your baby, your birth - do what feels right to you. ((()))
ReplyDeleteGrrr..what a ridiculous midwife. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I agree with J that induction doesn't always lead to a section. I have a couple of friends/family that have been induced and had vaginal births. You'll be great! And who knows? You could go into labor this afternoon.......just sayin.
ReplyDeleteMuch sympathy. I'm sure you've already heard these, and moreover that you're sick of hearing them, but, well, it's the only vaguely useful thing I can think of... the "sure-fire labor-inducers" I've heard of (that you haven't already mentioned, I don't think), are spicy food, climbing stairs, and raspberry iced tea. I think my mother's doctor may have recommended a glass of wine, but I'm not sure they're really pushing that one any more.
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping labor starts soon, and of its own accord.