So, this all means that while we here on the outside are suspended in a state of slow torture, Pokus is apparently quite contentedly happy on the inside. Fine! Maybe Pokus wants to be a Capricorn after all-- maybe we're looking at the 22nd. Speedy, who studies Chinese medicine, wants Pokus to be born on the winter side of the solstice to be a "water" rather than a "wood" sign, so she's gunning for after the 21st. And my acupunturist tells me that her astrologer friend says that babies born at this time this year will be tremedously powerful and world-changing, so we know Pokus has her work cut out for her. Maybe the extra cooking time is a good thing.
The sonographer did refer to Pokus as a "she" although she said that she did so only because she heard Speedy do it-- she knew before she whisked the curtain around the cot that we did not know and had no intention of finding out. But this is the only shred of possible evidence we have had to this point, so we both are thinking and double-thinking the meaning.
And...that's all I got! Sorry-- I know that some people are waiting for an exciting update, but I am feeling like this could conceivably go on for a week longer-- or more, if the midwives would allow it.
In other news, the zoo yesterday was fabulous! It was all of about 25 degrees and we were two of the maybe ten people in total who thought that going to the zoo on a frigid Thursday sounded like a good idea. I am quite sure I was the ONLY one who was 41 weeks pregnant with a broken foot-- but hey, as Sarah Palin says-- that's just the way I roll. We saw only the tail of the aardvark, who preferred to remain in his snug little fake cave, but the tree kangaroos and gibbons made up for Hoover's reluctance to be seen. Then we went to the nearby Little Italy of the Bronx, where we bought real olive bread (made with oil-cured olives bursting through the crust), quaresimali (which is like a very hard, sweet almond biscotti, also known appropriately as "jaw breakers"), torrone (almond nougat) and then had delicious cappuccinos with pignoli cookies before heading home. Heaven. And not a single cramp the whole time.
Today I am taking Cindy's advice again and going to Rockaway, which is about as far away as you can go and remain in the five boroughs of NYC, to watch the accumulated Dexters that Ex has recorded for me & Speedy, while hanging with Ex & her partner and their baby.
Seen here: tree kangaroo. Clearly, evolution has given these guys a very easy ride.
A tree kangaroo?! I've never heard of such a thing. How amazingly strange and adorable. Speetus clearly has a good thing going all tucked away inside! Perhaps if you lived in the tropics instead of the frozen tundra of NYC "she" would be out already. I'll continue to stalk to you all weekend of course.
ReplyDelete"She" -- hmmm! I love that you're calling s/he Pokus. Our own Pokus took a good nine days post-due-date to arrive, and when he did he blasted out strong as an ox, leaving us to believe he needed the extra cooking time. I remember how sloooow those waiting days felt, though. Treat yourselves!
ReplyDeletemmm, olive bread. have fun in rockaway! and maybe pokus and i will share 12/21!
ReplyDeletep.s. damn that's a cute animal.
I think I'm fast losing the poll. Shoot. I love the tree kangaroo. It reminds me of a really fuzzy, cuter three-toed sloth. Wave back to Speetus for us!
ReplyDeleteWhat the heck is a tree kangaroo? I'm always amazed how many relatively large mammals I come across have never heard of before. It doesn't seem like there could be that many out there.
ReplyDeleteCOME ON, Pokus! Make it happen! I love that s/he was sucking his/her thumb and waving. "Hi Mommies! It's pretty nice in here!"
Ummm olive bread, my favorite!
ReplyDeleteSounds like little Pokus may come on the other side of the solstice after all and not the 18th as I originally guessed. Just too cozy in there!
Hope you're not too uncomfortable.
No no no! We are back from our cruise and are sad to hear that Speetus is much too comfortable to move down and out! Boo! But glad all is ok despite the waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Our empathy...Miles was 10 days late. Apparently Speetus got word of that :P
ReplyDeleteHmmmm... any radio silence over 1 day makes me think something is in the works over there! Am I just over-stalking? :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with 2c1h....here it is, Sunday...
ReplyDeletewe are wishing you all good vibes for a strong and peaceful and healthy delivery!!!! (unless, of course, you are just taking a blog hiatus to have last minute 1:1 time together...or, ya know, you have other things going on that mean you can't post daily! :) hehehe)
Looking forward to your next post! ;)
Oh nooooo! I have poorly timed internet problems. It's impossible for me to post updates (and only one comment has successfully published so far from my multiple attempts this morning). There is STILL NO POKUS. I will update as soon as I can. Sorry!
ReplyDeleteYUM! Torrone candies were a part of every Christmas Eve at my Italian grandmother's house. I still buy a hunk every time I swing through any little Italy, anywhere. I do love Arthur Ave. in BX - much less overwhelming than Manhattan.
ReplyDeleteI'll be anxiously checking my reader for news!