Thanks again, everyone for staying with me-- those who are still reading, anyway....The last week has been harrowing at times, and just lovely beyond imagining at others. It has been everything you are told and can't quite understand until you are in the midst of it.
Highs and lows previously unfathomable to me are suddenly daily events, from kissing the top of the sweetest-smelling baby's head as he nuzzles into my chest at 6 a.m., to mingling my hot tears with his and both of us sob in abject misery over my failure to understand what has happened, and how they let me go home with this precious but inscrutable human that is totally dependent upon me to not fuck it up.
I wanted to blog the second part of his birth story before it fades into the gray fuzziness of the past. After he was born amidst the frantic shouting and my primal screams (which I am certain were heard by everyone in the hospital that night-- and if it had been maternity tour time, I am sure I would have discouraged more than a few women from taking the natural route!) they said, "Look at your baby!" and laid him on my chest. (It is honestly a bit of a blur-- one minute I had been pushing with all my might and then I felt his head emerge followed quickly by his hot, slippery body, and the next they were commanding me to look at my baby and Speedy was saying "It's a boy!" and then this little purple baby was upon me and Speedy was cutting the umbilical cord with a shockingly large splatter of blood.) Then the doula was upon me, fixing Jonas's mouth to first one nipple then the next while I was still naked and filleted on the birthing table. Then someone took Jonas from me and did the vitamin K and whatnot, then handed him off to Speedy who was in a similar state of emotional suspension. By the time I could focus, I realized there was some sort of flurry happening again-- they were telling me to push again to deliver the placenta, but as hard as I pushed I could not feel it. Finally they told me that it was not delivering and they called in another doctor to manage it.
A word here about bedside manners. If you or anyone you love are in the healthcare professsion, please tell them that the smallest hint of humanity, something as simple as eye contact and a "hello" goes a LONG FUCKING WAY. I only say that with such emphasis because Dr. Placenta, who was introduced to me by my midwife, and whom I greeted with a "Hello, Dr. Placenta" never so much as glanced a degree north of my nethers to return my greeting or ackjnowledge my presence as the owner of the vagina he then proceeded to savage.
Dr. Placenta spent a long time tugging the placenta by the umbilical cord this way and that, and my midwife would occasionally tell me to push or to stop pushing-- seemingly in direct opposition of whatever felt right from my perspective-- and surgery was discussed as if my ears were not merely a few anatomical parts away. Ultimately, though, after about half an hour of pulling and prodding, they injected the umbilicus with a motherlode of pitocin and somehow hauled the placenta out of me.
Then it was my midwife's turn: She was quite pleased to announce that I had only first degree tearing, but somehow her stitching was incredibly painful (another note to physicians: when numbing local area before stitching, please be sure to numb the area adjacent to it as well, since that is inevitably going to bear a significant amount of poking, jabbing, pulling and stretching as well.) As she stitched, she kept up a running commentary with the doctor she was training, noting her own personal variations on standard procedures and their benefits: "They usually use a continuous stitch for this, but I prefer the interrupted stitch. See how nicely that comes together?" Which is frankly not something you want to hear being said about your tattered lady parts, ever.
Finally, it was over and they let me clean up and whisked away all the blood and gore so that we could see my family. Yes, my family. I can't remember if I blogged about this, but my parents had intended on coming down Christmas eve, but the week before my father called me saying that he had broken his leg and they would not be able to come. Then they changed their minds, since my father is about as stubborn as I am, and was loathe to lose the opportunity to meet the first grandchild. So they pulled into Brooklyn about two hours before the midwife pulled Jonas out of me.
The rest of that night and the following day were a blur of visitors and the inherent annoyances of being in a hospital-- blood pressure checks, IVs, random people walking into your room without knocking or introducing themselves... But overall, aside from a couple of things that I would edit (For example: don't let them take your baby for a bath. They will keep it for hours to stabilize its temperature-- that time would be much better spent on mom's chest.) the hospital experience was not terrible. So many people brought food that I never once even peeped inside the scary pink plastic food covers to see what atrocities they were bringing at regular intervals.
This post is going to have to be broken into yet another piece, because I have to feed the dogs while Jonas naps between feedings.
For the future: I will post about the tremendous issues we have had feeding this boy. In short: my milk didn't come in as early or as well as expected-- probably due to the retained placenta-- and for a few terrifying days the boy probably spent more energy trying to suckle than he received from my paltry supply. Add that to his poor suckling form in general, and you've got a very unhappy, jaundiced, hungry boy and two desperate and scared mamas who not-so-secretly believe that they might not be qualified to keep the child alive, despite the age, experience and education between them. Things are getting better now and the boy is getting enough to eat (and still loves the boob, thank god!) but we have a long way to go and the path is basically me tethered to a breast pump from here until eternity, so please excuse my lapses while we work out exactly how to keep on with this and do our regular life stuff. More on this later!

love the first, ur, second installment. Its sounds very exciting, very lovely, very hard and very, very real! Congrats again, you two are doing an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteThe most vivid memory I have of coming home from the hospital with my baby is walking straight to the couch and bawling my eyes out. The crushing weight of responsibility was almost unbearable. So, the start of your post really spoke to me. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that the milk supply is coming too. Welcome Baby Jonas!
What a story. I love reading these, so keep 'em comin. While not having any firsthand experience with being a new mom, a close friend had her first this year and for about a week after bringing her new son home, proceeded to have panic attacks. She kept thinking.. "What the hell do I do with this thing NOW?" Sounds like you two are rolling with the uncertainty and working out the details. XO!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your story - it's so much to get down, and so good that you'll have this to remember. I'm sure I'll be posting soon about the challenges of breastfeeding...all I have to say right now is, thank God for Medela hydrogels!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you and Speedy again. xox
At this point, it's all about survival and you've got to do what you've got to do- with sleeping, with feeding, with boundaries, with everything. I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble with breastfeeding...'they' never tell you just how difficult it can be and that you're not going to hell if you need to resort to bottles or formula until the breastfeeding can get back on track, if ever. Sucks about the placental delivery, but overall still an amazing birth. Nutella's anesthesiologist for the epidural after 30 hours was a total asshole, too- never said a word to her and treated her like an animal or a doll. It's like they somehow forget after all this time that they're working with actual people who have feelings.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're able to keep updating us. And loving the pictures of the little peanut :)
Oh how I remember those raw first days. It was so hard (especially the breastfeeding), but it gets SO much easier. Hang in there, Mama! You're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteFirst, I love his blanket! Second, from what I hear it sounds like it's all happening just about right. As much as I think I can imagine how terrifying it all must be, I know that it's nothing compared to the real thing. So happy you're able to write about it all in such great detail. Thinking of all of you lots.
ReplyDeleteI think you're doing fantastic, and it will continue to get easier each day. Sorry that your 3rd stage was so managed, but I agree with Strawberry that your birth overall sounds quite amazing. I know the breastfeeding will get easier, and I give you major kudos for sticking with it in spite of the difficulty.
ReplyDeleteoh - he's here! Just got back from Tasmania late last night - so glad to hear everything went well - if painful. I love that you did the proper shouty mama-in-labour thing and made a lot of noise. Sending lots of love & congratulations. xxxxh
ReplyDeleteSorry about Dr. Placenta--what an ass. Hang in there right now, with the ups and the downs and the bfing and all of it. I don't know what I'm talking about yet, but I do know that the first few weeks are supposed to be a blur and a whirlwind of emotions and ups and downs and newness and the best thing you can do is be gentle with yourself. You are doing a great job, momma!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for taking the time out to share your birth story. It's unfortunate that you had to deal with an idiot of a doctor. Amazing how some ppl can forget to be human. Thankfully at the end of it all you have your beautiful baby boy to love, cherish, and care for. Congrats again brand new mamas :)
ReplyDeleteI have really loved reading both installments of your birth story. We were rooting you on in those last few days (you have won both mine and K's awe and amazement going 42+ weeks!!!). I hope that things continue to move onward and upward!!
ReplyDeletePS-lame doctors are the worst!!!
I'm a little late jumping in but congratulations and welcome to the world Mr Jonas! Thanks for sharing your birth story with us all too.
ReplyDeleteSorry I didn't comment on your first post! I'm just impressed you got time to write any of this! It sounds like you are doing well despite the crazy emotions and being new at this. The good news is that we are all new at it and somehow we survive! That whole trick about them
ReplyDeleteKeeping the baby in the nursery must be very
Common because the exact same thing happened to
us. Maybe that first bath always messes with their temp or maybe they just SAY that!!
I clearly remember thinking when Isobel got a cold at two weeks: what were we thinking? How did we think
We could take care of a tiny baby?!!
But you can and you will!!! And don't forget to lean
on your motherly intuition when you don't know the answer! We all have it, but sometimes having access to a pediatrician means we forget it's there!!Congratultions!
And by the way - your birth story was amazing! So well written and evocative ! Great job on all of it - the doing and the writing!!!!
The first days are so scary and hard but you are doing great! My babies both had jaundice and spent 5 days on billibeds. Again, very scary. Hang in there moms - these days are a smash-up of emotions, fear, bliss and exhaustion but you'll be pros in no time, looking back wondering where the time went.
ReplyDeletexoxo
i'm sorry about dr placenta, but really impressed by how your birth went overall.
ReplyDeletei'm sure you and speedy are doing fine, but i hope it gets easier soon.
Your "care" at that hospital makes my jaw drop. For crying out loud. I am so glad you are home now. I do remember when Edward and I looked at each other after the midwives left and both admitted that we felt stunned that they left this newborn in our care. You would be in tears laughing if you ever saw us trying to dress her for the first time. The first six weeks or so are exhausting in every possible way. I hope you get all the love, support and encouragement you need.
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome and Jonas is so adorable! I look forward to hearing more. :)
ReplyDeleteYour baby is beautiful! Congratulations!!! :)
ReplyDelete