After his Christmas Eve debut, Speedy and I retired with him to our temporary home in the maternity ward at Long Island College Hospital (where the dryboard in my room announced unhelpfully, "Maternity!!! 12/__/2010. Congratulations!!! Your nurse is _________") There we slept on foam mattresses of lower quality than your standard dog bed, but we were oblivious to the pain as we cracked open a contraband bottle of Bordeaux and toasted our newest family member with pink plastic hospital cups. After the excitement of his birth and my family coming, we enjoyed the relative quiet of just the
The next day was Christmas, and it went by in a blur of visitors, phone calls and text messages. I fed Jonas every hour or whenever he would turn his head into me and bump against my chest. I thought we were getting off to a great start.
We spent the second night crowded into one bed-- the one with the somewhat better mattress-- and I barely slept between feeding him and trying to find a comfortable position between coddling my aching back and my tender nethers. Finally, I got up at first light and Speedy and packed as much of our things-- and as many of the hospital's things-- as we could in anticipation of our early release.
There was a major storm forecasted for that day and as it grew lighter the sky took on that ominous slate gray the foretells a big storm. Different doctors and nurses came by to administer their advice. Jonas was slightly jaundiced. We were told to have his bilirubin levels checked the next day by our pediatrician. Other than that we were all clear. We signed a paper saying we had watched the "Don't Shake Your Baby" video and carefully spelled Speedy's name for the birth certificate. Then we awaited "transport"-- some guy earning time-and-a-half to put me in a wheelchair and escort me to the hospital doors to reduce their exposure to lawsuits, I guess.
We left just as the storm was beginning in earnest. Snow had started coming down fast but was not yet sticking to the street. Here we were with our precious bundle and our untested car seat, suddenly out in the world, without any protective eyes but our own to oversee what we were doing! I didn't expect to feel so suddenly unmoored. Now we were in charge, and I didn't quite feel ready. Just a foot inside the hospital and I wasn't trusted to walk on my own, and now outside, I had to navigate the slippery, icy steps with my son and somehow get him home and keep him alive. The enormity of the task ahead started sinking in.
That afternoon, however, the first thing on our agenda was to get to my brother's apartment for a belated Christmas celebration with my family. The snow had quickly blanketed the streets, and the city's EPIC FAIL in response was beginning to become clear. We manage to hitch a ride with my ex in her giant SUV, and had a lovely evening evening though I watched the snow with one eye as it appeared to get heavier and heavier. By the time we left, cars had been abandoned, apocalypse-style in the middle of avenues, buses were at a standstill-- one having skidded to block and entire street. The sanitation trucks were plowing the main roads, but with no salt to prevent icing-- it was a catastrophe just beginning to unfold.
The next day, as people literally died (including a newborn baby, which sickens me with its senselessness) because of the city's piss-poor response to a freaking SNOWSTORM IN DECEMBER (like that was unpredictable!!) we found that our pediatrician's office was closed, and were told to call back the next day. By this time, I was getting worried about my milk, which had not yet come in. Jonas nursed in four hour stretches and seemed increasingly distraught by my inability to provide a decent meal. He was also markedly yellower than he had been. Monday night he nursed for 13 hours and cried inconsolably whenever I tried to take him off.
On Tuesday morning we realized that we had to get to a doctor as soon as possible, and took the first appointment we could get-- at 1 p.m.-- He was not as angry any more, and seemed disturbingly more listless, even yellower, and his scalp wrinkled like crepe paper when I stroked it.
We picked our way through snow and ice and unshovelled sidewalks to get to the doctor, where she threw a box of formula at us, scolded Speedy for touching the nipple ("It's sterile!"-- as if my nipples, which hadn't seen a shower for days, were!) and sent us on our way.
I cannot tell you what it is like to feel like you have inadvertently starved your child. I cried more inconsolably than he did, and for two days, we would give him a bumper of formula every time he fed on the breast.
On Thursday we returned, through sidewalks that were equally treacherous even two days later. Jonas was declared to have gained weight and we decided to start transitioning him back to the breast asap. Only there was just one problem: later that day, our doula-- who had been stranded by the storm, and busy with FIVE more births that had happened since Jonas-- came and suggested we rent a medical scale to determine exactly how much breast milk Jonas was getting at every feeding. We followed her advice and found that he was getting on average one-tenth of an ounce after a forty-five minute nursing session. About half a teaspoon. No wonder the poor boy was inconsolable. Cue more sobbing and tears of remorse and self-doubt from me & Speedy. Without knowing it, we were practically killing our child.
I immediately began an intense regimen of fenugreek and blessed thistle, and pumping with a hospital grade pump, every three hours around the clock. My supply seemed to stall and sputter, but after a long few days of meticulous record-keeping it slowly started increasing-- by now it is at about 16 oz/day from around 6. No one knows why it was so slow or low to begin with. And it is still not adequate for his needs, but it is getting closer. Most impotantly, though, our son is getting what he needs now. It has been a hard, hard couple of weeks, and I think we are all still traumatized to some extent by our rocky start, but...here we are.
Seventeen days later, we have a fat little Buddha baby who comes by his fauxhawk honestly. It has been rough and only now do have a snatch of time to blog about it because I handed him off to Speedy for a couple of hours between pumpings and feedings. We are on a slow ascent out of the haze of new parenthood to the growing acceptance of our rhythm-less days that are punctuated by feedings, diapers, and uproarious farts.
There is so much more to come, but my time is up here. I miss reading and commenting regularly, but in truth it is really hard to do anything over and above feeding and pumping these days. I promise I am still here, reading when I can, and commenting if I have a moment and a hand to spare. Please cut me a little slack as I still struggle to find my footing in this sometimes terrifying but always gratifying new world....

Unfortunately I understand these breastfeeding woes more than you know. We were also unknowingly starving our daughter that first week. Scary stuff. Glad you've all emerged well though. He has plumped up nicely now!
ReplyDeleteBtw, you're about to hit the 3 week marker and Jonas will likely have a growth spurt (aka super hungry and possibly cranky). Just a heads up. It lasted 2-3 drys for us. :)
Oh, supply... le sigh. I wish you weren't struggling with it, but know that you're in good company.
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, the fact that you've already jumped up to 16oz/day seems pretty promising. At six weeks I had juuuust crested 14oz/day, and that was with pumping every two hours (I had to pump and dump due to an industrial-strength antibiotic that included a 'may cause colitis in babies' warning). If I remember right, babies go through growth spurts at four-ish and six-ish weeks where they will nurse all day if they're able. Hanging out skin-to-skin through a spurt can help your supply better than pills or supplements.
No matter what your supply does, you are to be commended for all of your hard work and determination. All of it.
Much support, and keep enjoying that itsy-bitsy-squishy phase. It is precious.
he is beautifully adorable! we went through those first-weeks feeding woes with theo. it was--intense. i still remember its intensity two and a half years later. you are doing awesome--look at all that smooshy cuteness!
ReplyDeleteHe is adorable and you guys sound like you are doing everything right!
ReplyDeletePlease, dear, you get all the slack you need- we know how difficult these first few weeks are and I'm amazed you could even write all that you did. I've seen so many stories of breastfeeding woes (including our own and we had the opposite problem of oversupply). The medical community does NOT do an adequate job of preparing new parents for all the ins and outs and problems and solutions for breastfeeding and it's a shame. But I am very glad to hear that you're on the other side of it and things will continue to get better and better.
ReplyDeleteHe is a beauty!!
Look at that beautiful little guy! Those first weeks are crazy, aren't they? We, too, struggled with jaundice and supply issues, but not snow. That's just too much! I did the hospital grade pump, fenugreek, lactation specialist dance and here we are, 1 year and 1 month later and still breastfeeding. It gets easier. I promise! You are doing a great job, Mama!
ReplyDeleteOh goodness, be gentle on yourself. Sounds like things have been ca-razy! We love you, regardless of blogging/commenting/reading status and always wish you the best! He is adorable :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a nugget!
ReplyDeleteThough my breastfeeding stress-out was different from yours, I understand how hard one can be on herself in this context, and how confusing it is. I'm so glad to hear your supply is up to 16 ounces (which sounds like a lot!) and supplementing with formula is TOTALLY ok. Enjoy the squish!
Eeee, he is getting even more impossibly cute. I am in love with his hair and belly.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I'm sorry that this has been so hard. I hope it's getting lots easier and that there are long moments of bliss in amongst the heartache.
I don't know what Mr. weighed at birth (or weighs now) but I see a HUGE difference in CHUNKINESS from the first photos you posted to the one in this post. Clearly you are doing something (everything) right! Sorry the first weeks were so rocky...the timing of both Christmas and the blizzard was definitely working against you in the early days. But it looks like he is plumping up nicely now.
ReplyDeleteSounds a lot like my first few days. I don't think anyone prepares us for the fact that having a baby and "rocky starts" are one and the same. Add the snow to that and you have a recipe for tears.
ReplyDeleteOur babies had jaundice and also had to be formula supplemented for the first several days.
The early days and months are so difficult and so beautiful. I one heard birth and the days following described as a beautiful nightmare and I thought it was so true.
I'm wishing milky wishes for you!
Oh and how could I forget... he's just dreamy - sigh :)
I had a very very similar early breastfeeding experience. I remember bawling my face off at the ped's office when inwasntold he was almost failure to thrive. Big hugs and it sounds like you are working so hard!
ReplyDeletewell, i guess this is why they had wet nurses in the old days. i'm sure it was just as hard if not harder back in the day.
ReplyDeletehe's looking good. you're doing great. i hear it gets easier. :)
and as the comments have attested to, you're not alone. every mom i talked to has a similar breast-feeding story to share.
Your story sounds much like mine. Our boy, too, was jaundiced. After visiting a lactation consultant for pre and post feeding weights, I was only producing 1/2 an oz in an hour long nursing session. We've been supplementing with formula since he was 4 days old, but I've been an emotional wreck ever since. Since introducing the bottle, wee man hasn't been much interested in the breast. Only in the last 2 days has he even latched, and then he favors the right breast only. I have been taking fenugreek and marshmallow root and pumping every 3 hours or so. Even now, I only make about an oz after pumping for close to an hour. I totally understand where you're coming from. I wish us both increased supplies and happy baby boys!
ReplyDeleteSlack?? You get more than that! Props, gold stars, you name it. The newborn period is bewildering enough and you've had more than your share to contend with. So glad your buddha baby is chunked up and wishing you all the best with your supply. It does sound promising that you've been able to increase it as much as you have. Anyway, much support from us, and we love reading anytime you post.
ReplyDeleteYou have my (and PB's) total sympathy on the breastfeeding troubles. Our situation has been less of a supply issue and more of a difficulty getting our son to latch on, but either way, this is a lot rougher than I ever imagined. I'm so glad to hear that Jonas is doing better, though. He certainly looks like he's plumped up some. :-)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I think when I tried to say congratulations on his birth, the computer ate it. So, belated congratulations! He's lovely.
Hey, I'm crazy late to the commenting, but I just wanted to say that I hope things have gotten even better. I've been thinking about you!
ReplyDelete