Monday, January 24, 2011

Today is one month

Thank you so much for your helpful comments about my breastfeeding and supply issues. The trouble continues, although I have reached a pint of acceptance about it. Luckily, Jonas LOVES LOVES LOVES the boob, like nothing else, so I don't feel outright rejected.


It is an ongoing struggle, though. My supply continues to be less than he needs. I am still trying to bring it up, but I wonder if I have hit my ceiling-- I am not sure because I stopped tracking my production at about 20 oz/day because I was getting OCD about it: How much did he eat? How much did I pump? What was my running tally? How did it compare to yesterday and the day before? Now, we know he is gaining (more than) enough weight so now I am content with our current strategy: if I run out of milk and he is still hungry, he gets a bump of formula. For the last two days, he has not needed any formula, so maybe this is a sign that we are reaching equilibrium. I continue to pop blessed thistle and fenugreek like there was some recreational benefit.

Our next challenge is sleep. We put him in the bath at about 9, and by the time he is clean, changed, swaddled and nursed it is 10. He sleeps for about an hour or ninety minutes then wakes up with gas-- we pick him up for some farting, nursing, burping, tummy rub, diaper change, swaddling, nursing...Repeat-- until about midnight. Then he sleeps until about 1 or 1:30 until he wakes again until about 1:30...sleeps till about 3, the up till about 4, then wake again at 5 or 5:30 till 6 or 6:30. By the 7:30 wake-up we are usually ready to get out of bed and at least have a cup of tea and a change of scenery. For the last two nights, we have traded off sleeping with him on the couch-- that is, one person actually sleeps while the other lightly dozes with Jonas the furnace on the couch. We never intended to co-sleep, but it is looking like we might be headed there for these first few months, as he refuses to let us sleep any other way. We have a pillow-top bed so we will have to make some adjustments to implement co-sleeping.

The best time of day is between 8 & 9 when Speedy walks the digs and I lie in bed with Jonas, letting him nurse lazily while I nap for an extra hour-- since I get up with almost every Jonas waking to pump, Speedy gives me this luxury.

Tonight Jonas and I are alone: Speedy has gone north to western Mass to look at real estate and talk to people about possible jobs. We are seriously thinking of moving in the early summer, since it is becoming all too clear that we can't afford to live here with Jonas and have any kind of life that we want. I did not sleep last night and won't tonight, so I apologize for the flatness of this post but I wanted to update.

I am half through my maternity leave and I cannot fathom going back to work right now. The thought is overwhelming, so today I will just focus on feeding and sleeping.

14 comments:

  1. OMG, the time goes so quickly. Half through? It can't be possible.

    Jonas is such a doll. You must be so in love!

    I love, btw, that you said "a bump of formula" like it's cocaine or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this website regarding boosting your supply http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.shtml

    I used Domperidone (Motilium™) to induce lactation for our daughter.

    Jonas is beautiful, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we co-slept for the first 7 months...for many of the same reasons! We all got more sleep that way. Eventually little guy transitioned to a futon on the floor of our room and then we eventually moved the futon to his own room. It worked great for us and he's turned into a great sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds hard, but also amazing! I have no real insight into what our life will be like one month in, but it sounds like you all are all learning, growing and adjusting!

    Keep us posted if you head through the Boston area on any of your trips up north, it would be fun to have a play date (assuming Pluty every decides to make an appearance!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course i am selfishly excited that you guys could be moving up here so soon. let me know if you have any w. mass questions (i should leave you my e-mail address one of these days).

    breastfeeding is freaking hard. i doubt myself everyday, but always repeat to myself--if he's peeing, pooping, and growing, all is probably well--for now.

    and oh, sleep, elusive sleep---how i dream of thee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real estate and jobs!? I love it. Happy one month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is A-freaking-dorable. Love that picture.

    Those first 6-12 weeks are so, so tough with the feeding and the (non)sleeping. You'll get through it though.

    Best of luck with the possible move and new job. wow. Your plate is full!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw, the picture is adorable!!

    i agree with the pp'er - breastfeeding is freakin' hard. hang in there, it sounds like you are doing an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, is he ever cute! You must be over the moon in love with him.

    I think you are doing fantastic. All of it-- the schedule (!!!!!), the feeding, sounds SO hard. I am so impressed with you for hanging in there and getting through.

    Good luck with the potential move! Sounds great and will be so good for your family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, he is so sweet! Hang in there with the breastfeeding. If I recall correctly, things started really getting better for me right around the 1 month mark. It is SO hard in the beginning. Wishing you success (and sleep)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I showed Chefy Jonas' picture, and she said "They must be in parent bliss right now." Wow, what a beautiful baby moment. You are lucky parents. Sorry to hear about la leche, but it sounds like things are increasing! Good luck finding a new home- it will be great to read about how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love the photo. And wow, I also can't believe your maternity leave is half over. Western Mass?! Big move. But seems to make sense for folks who collect strays the way you all do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. can we make a plea for you to move to philly :)
    keep up the great work!!!! i loved fenugreek it made me smell like ethiopian food and it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's so lovely. I know I've said that before (or something like it) but he is. I'm sending lots of big sleep vibes your & Jonas' way. And very hard to believe you're nearly halfway through mat leave - what will happen after that?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.