Monday, March 1, 2010

Scenes from our kitchen

This year I decided to make Hamantaschen for Purim. Unlike me, they were not at all dry and actually nice and sweet. Note that I am part monkey, as evidenced by my distress calls when the dough begins to slide off the counter.


The final product:

The recipe.

I made two kinds: One with ground poppy seeds (1 C poppy seeds ground in coffee grinder; about 1 C milk; 1/4 C honey; cardamom-- simmered until thickened) and one with apricot (1/2 lb. dried coarsely chopped apricots, about 1C water, honey, cinnamon-- simmer till thickened, then leave on stove covered for several hours while you go do something more interesting.)

We also made Delicious black beans simmered in orange and lime with garlic and jalapeno, topped with maduros-- ripe plantains, fried to golden perfection. But we ate it all before the camera came out.

9 comments:

  1. I love the kitchen videos. You should do a whole series. And you have such talent with dough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cute. Watching through the tears - I like that. Always good to prepare for the end ;). This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! You should do a kitchen web series! That will be fun.

    Do you know the restaurant Penang? There’s one here in Philly but I just learned there’s one in NYC as well. You should check it out, next time you find yourself on the Upper West Side. They have a roti canai that will change your life (wait, are you guys veg? If so, nevermind, b/c I think there’s meat in the potato curry dipping sauce).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum and I love the off-camera commentary. I am much to spastic in the kitchen to catch up camera, but i am I hours away from a delish sourdough loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks teh yums. Yay for baking. Which reminds me, I need to pick up an interest beyond blogging and video games.

    Well, I've started reading again. Does that count?

    word verification=ovestsin

    How fertility-related does THAT one sound?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm....cardamom. Hope you're feeling okay these days. All this cooking and baking is a nice, productive, nourishing way to spend time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM I love Hamantaschen and haven't had a decent one in forever. Thanks for the recipe--I may just have to try those! They look pretty perfect.

    BTW, word verification=preigman

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your blog has become such a food blog too! I've been craving eggplant ever since the baba ghanoush post a while back.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.