I feel so guilty about not posting that falafel recipe yet. I promise this weekend I will get to it. Also lemon bread, because it's delicious. At the end of this post is a fast & easy pasta recipe that is simply divine.
But I am here to give the IUI report.
Yesterday was pretty fantastic as far as all things fertility. It was sunny and in the seventies and fabulous. Everyone was happy (this is New York-- it is definitely not a happy-go-lucky city, but there was a palpable shift in the mood on the street just because of the weather.) I went to work for a couple of hours, then left for my 2 p.m. appointment (leaving plenty of time for subway delays). I got there a couple of minutes early and sat in the beautifully empty waiting room. Speedy showed up looking adorable and happy and nervous, and we were called in a few minutes later. Dr. Big did the honors, and we saw 3 FAT (22-ish) follicles ready to burst. The CM was good and the procedure went off without a hitch. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about was the lining. It was still around 7.7, and I know that it is not ideal. But Dr. Big said 7.5+ was all good, and it was nice and triple-striped, so I tried not to obsess.
Jacques did not disappoint: 65m motile/cc (26m in the .4 cc sample) at 65% motility and all good scores on everything else.
After the IUI Speedy and I had an extrememly rare lunch out (Thai) and then went home for a little creative napping. I had a lovely acupuncture appointment, walked the dogs, and we made a wonderful dinner with the season's first fresh basil that Speedy picked up in the morning. [...] All night I had vivid dreams and felt sunbursts in my ovaries.
This morning I went in for ovulation confirmation (yep) and more bloodwork. Dr. Greek called my lining "marginal" (YIKES! Why use that word? Is "marginal" EVER anything good? Like the food was "marginal"? Your performance is "marginal"? NO. It means, "I'm too smart and tactful to say it sucks, but that is in fact what I meant.") And I start progesterone on Sunday.
So, blogworld, I turn to you: Is my sudden lining issue due to maybe the miscarriage? Is my ute still out of sorts? Should I NOT have been taking baby aspirin? I thought that was supposed to help? Does it freaking matter? I guess I will find out. All there is left to do is wait.
Eat this now:
Spring-is-in-the-Air Rigatoni
1 package rigatoni
4-5 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
1 medium bunch basil, roughly chopped (about 1-1 1/2 cups)
3 plum tomatoes, diced
parmesan cheese, finely grated
olive oil
salt, pepper
Make rigtoni to al dente-- drain in strainer and let sit. Pound garlic with a pinch of sea salt in mortar and pestle until it becomes a slimy mash. Heat oil for a minute in sauce pan over medium flame. Add garlic for just 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tomatoes, stir to mix with garlic and let cook for a couple of minutes until the tomatoes start to release their juices. Add basil, and pasta. Cook until pasta is warm and basil wilts.
Add oil, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with plenty of parmesan.
As far as I know, baby aspirin does indeed assist with implantation. Nutella took it before/when she conceived. Your timing sounds so right on. Sorry about the issue with your lining. Hopefully the progesterone will help with that...I definitely still think you've got a good shot at this.
ReplyDeleteBaby aspirin wouldn't improve your lining.It seems everyone is talking it and don't have clue as to why.
ReplyDeleteEstrogen in some form would help thicken it if that's what he was referring to.That word marginal can be taken in so many ways.He should have been more specific.
Happy eating!
It all sounds great! Three big follies, and Jaques super sperm? Now THAT’S a recipe! He he bad joke. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about the lining. It’s in the middle of the range, not the bottom. 5, for example, would be low, and 10 would be great. So you’re in the middle of the pack. It just needs something to burrow into, and 7.5 is fine.
ReplyDeleteI love it. Looking forward to your two little lines in just two little weeks! :)
Just wanted to share this...
ReplyDeleteLow-dose aspirin (80mg or 1 baby aspirin) alone has used for treatment of both repeat implantation failures and post-implantation pregnancy losses. Aspirin therapy has been reported to enhance implantation rates in women undergoing IVF/ET. In these studies the number of eggs retrieved and number of embryos generated were higher in the aspirin treated group than in the non-treated group making it unclear whether the enhancement in implantation rate was the result of better embryo selection or a direct effect on the lining of the uterus. Among women with increased resistance of blood flow through their uterine arteries who were treated with aspirin for a minimum of two weeks, the pregnancy rate was increased from 17% to 47% and the miscarriage rate decreased from 60% to 15%. As a prostaglandin inhibitor, aspirin would be expected to increase blood flow to the ovary prior to implantation, to the endometrium during implantation and to prevent clotting of the placental vessels following implantation.
Source: http://www.inciid.org/article.php?cat=immunology&id=374&pagenumber=5
Thanks, Strawberry! That makes me feel a lot better. I just booked a second acupuncture session, too. I don't care what the eight ball says, I'm treating this one like it's a go.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what to say, but I share your concern. Maybe talk to your acupuncturist about it and maybe even go in more frequently?
ReplyDeleteI dunno how I missed your comment about booking a second acupuncture appointment, but yeah that's a good plan.
ReplyDeleteTwo acupuncture appts sounds great too. I've also been taking baby aspirin every day, so who knows? I love your IUI story-what a great day to make a baby. I'm feeling this one for you and Speedy.
ReplyDeleteYour timing is SO good. So are Jacques' swimmer counts. Certainly sounds like a postitive in the works!
ReplyDeleteMy Doc says there are 2 main contributors to thickening up lining: blood flow (aspirin and acupuncture help here!) and estrogen. I took both aspirin and estrogen this cycle and my lining finally improved. 7.7 is still good though. Like Adventures noted, your in right in the middle. :) The progesterone will also make your lining inviting for that implantation.
This cycle sounds fantastic!
You have gorgeous follies and a 'marginal' lining? Wowsers! Those docs are so shady with their judgments. What was your estrogen reading - do you know? How about progesterone? The triple stripe sounds good!
ReplyDeleteI have no clue about the aspirin - I took it for my fresh ED cycle but not for my FET.
I really really hope you get that big fat juicy positive. This is the first time you had a thinner lining?
I would hope and pray for the best and I'm sending you sticky vibes in multitudes.
If the unthinkable happens I would argue for taking estradial in the future. But it's going to be positive so no worries!
WOW on the timing, lady. That sounds unbelievably spot-on. I am really excited for you!
ReplyDelete