Friday, April 30, 2010

SpeedyBlob with father update



This was the 7w6d scan. Look how much bigger Blob is now than the yolk sac, compared to jsut a week ago! I have an OB appt Wednesday and after that I suspect I will have to content myself with much fewer pictures of the growing Blob within me. But as I get more confident that things are actually going smoothly, I think I will be okay with that. Philosophically I am all for low intervention, but I have been enjoying the perks of my highly medicalized ttc process nonetheless.

So, thanks everyone for the encouraging words about my father. The truth is, I don't expect him to come around when the news of the baby hits, nor do I know that I would be open to a sudden change in attitude on his part. His disdain for me is not pure homophobia: we have never had a good relationship since the day I decided that he was not the boss of me, at the ripe old age of eight. I didn't come out to myself or my parents until I was 26, and at that point there was little relationship between me & my father left to destroy.

This changed briefly when I was with Ex, who was butch in that manlier-than-men kind of way. Beer-swilling, steak-grilling, football-watching butch-- Way more of a man than my brother, in fact. And my father, for the first time that I had ever witnessed in my life, actually really LIKED her. Like, ENJOYED her. And she had an adrogynous name, could "pass" easily-- and was happy to, even though it drove me crazy. So in a way, my father was able to forget the gay thing and enjoy the son he never had. She, for her part, would push for me to visit much more than I normally would, and when I did, it was pretty easy. Because I was attached to her, I got a free pass on father's disdain for me for a few years. But when Ex and I broke up-- really, *I* broke up with *her*, my father quickly retracted any iota of affection he had inadvertantly leaked upon me (by proxy of her) for the last five years, and reverted to his angry, disapproving, hostile former self with me.

And if he disdains me, he loathes Speedy, who is undeniably female and often even feminine, and whose name is beyond femme, way more femme than even Kelly or Michelle or other names that or 99% feminine with occasional exceptions. Her name has never been worn by a boy or a man in the history of its existence. And she is a vegetarian, a hiker, a book reader, a horse-rider. In short, she is too much like me. So-- he barey acknowledges her and cannot be othered to address her directly, shows her even less regard, if that is even possible, than me.

I guess what I am saying is that his "love" (although I have never experienced it as such) is so manifestly conditional that I don't know if I want Speedytot to be invested in it at all. I am an adult and I know that my father is a man of many weaknesses and foibles and his own pain... I can separate myself from my anger and disappointment in him and his in me. But a child should not have to do that.

The complicated thing is that I really do love my mother, and I don't want to lose my relationship with her, which has always been strong (save for a few tumultuous teenage years). But I am not sure how to negotiate around the dead space between my father and me.

Right now I don't even want to call home, because I don't want him to pick up. I don't want to spend those awkward 15 seconds with my brain warring with my mouth, wanting to scream and cry and shout recriminations, while I simply say nothing and wait for my mother to come on. I want my mother to call me, but she won't. And so. This is where I stand, in silence, with this enormous future I hold in my belly and this secret in my heart.

20 comments:

  1. This reeks of sexism to me, and that's really sad. I wonder if your father would be more invested in Speedytot if it's a boy versus a girl. Talk about conditional.

    Anyway, I'm really sorry. No child should have to go through what you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really sucks. Being pregnant sheds new light on our family situations at large, understandably. The instant we did our transfer and were led to believe there was a good chance we were pregnant, Rose had some family-related meltdowns that seemed to come out of the blue for me. I'm sorry your situation with your parents seems to feel bleak. It's such an endlessly helpless feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a quote the other day (don't remember who said it) but I thought it rang true for me...
    "What other people think of you is none of your business."
    Just because someone is related to you doesn't mean anything. It makes things rather inconvenient, and kinda crappy... But you have a wonderful partner and soon to be baby, and there is no need to waste time with people that don't make you happy. Life is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call her on her cel phone.That's what i did to get past my mother and speak to my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I empathize with your relationship with your Dad. I had a challenging relationship with both of my parents and work on it constantly, sometimes with more sense of urgency then others. I went to therapist to process some of the decisions I/we were contemplating making once our children entered our family. It was nice to have an independent person from my family drama validate and gently push me on some of my decisions and views. Don't know if this is helpful but thought I would share. Now that our children have been with us over the years, we are confident our boundaries and relationships with have with my parents are good and are open to them shifting as well as long as we feel like short term and long term our family's best interest is at the forefront.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There isn't much I can say about this post except that it makes me sad. I'm so sorry you have to live like that with your father. It shouldn't be that way but sadly, it is. I've struggled with my dad since the age of 12 and I'm afraid that our relationship will never be as I would have liked it, but I'm happy to say that it's slowly getting better.

    Now you have this beautiful life growing inside of you and he/she will never have to endure the pain you have - he/she is very lucky to have you and speedy as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I’m so sorry your relationship is so strained. Life is way too short for that kind of nonsense, and I think it’s often better to remove yourself from that kind of drama entirely, rather than be constantly stung by it. I’ve always felt that way about Veronica’s mom, and they’ve really grown apart since V came out to her. She was just so awful that it was better for everyone. But our case is different, since she was totally fine before. And so, basically, this is her mom’s last shot: she either gets on board, or she doesn’t, you know? She either comes around and has a relationship with the LSs, or she doesn’t. I’m kind of fine with it either way. Blah. Sorry :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family sucks. At least we are able to make our own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as your mom knows your secret then you KNOW she'll be calling all the time. Is there anyway to just sneak her off to lunch one day or something?
    I'm sorry that things are so shitty with your father. Just remember, you can regulate how much your kid is exposed to him though - sad as that may be.
    BTW - if mom doesn't have a cell phone you should definitely get her one!!
    Beautiful blob pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sorry to hear this about your father. and such a bummer that your relationship with your mother is being compromised as a result. have you ever told him outright how you feel? even though it may never improve the relationship, it still feels amazing and restores a sense of autonomy. as my wife just said, the only way to deal with ice is to break it!
    -red

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so with you on the extra peeks at the little dude in the beginning. We too are quite low intervention (I had a natural birth with a midwife). But the beginning is so nerve-wracking I love the reassurance. But here we are now, discharged for the RE and must wait for the heart beat with the doppler at around 12 weeks and our one ultrasound at 20ish weeks. I almost don't want to admit that we had our u/s to our midwife!!

    C. has a tumultuous relationship with her dad. It's still strange, but he does acknowledge Theo in his way. I wish that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SpeedyBlob is getting big! Great pic!

    Sounds like a rough situation with your dad. You're a really great writer. Some beautifully phrased pain here. With your new baby, you'll be able to create the family of your dreams with Speedy. How wonderful is that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i understand how you feel. I dont speak to my father or my mother. I literally have my wifes family as the family i go too.

    Its hard, but we have to focus on the positive energy on the ones who love us unconditionally. We cant change peoples minds how they think of us. Though we want too, it would be so much easier if we could.

    The best thing to do, is teach your child to love unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry about earlier slapdash "hey everything will get better once he see the kid" kind of comment I posted before. I didn't understand the situation. I'm sorry that your dad is like this, and I'm sorry that you have to deal with it. I think buying your mom a cell phone is a good idea, if she'll use it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. L-- Of course I did not think that yours or anyone else's comment was anything but sincere... I just wanted to explain the situation a bit better because I have not really talked much about my family here.
    Thank you for the support! I really do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. new readers here... Congrats on the BFP, your little blop looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Schroe--I too am sorry if I blithely implied that he would change once speedyblob arrives. Obviously, the situation is far more complex than that.

    I have seen people undergo amazing changes (our friend's mom threatened suicide when he came out to her about 14 years ago...she's now planning his wedding to his boyfriend) and sometimes people do surprise you. But I'm sorry you have such a damaged relationship with your dad and that is unlikely to ever be repaired. Even if repair is possible, the wounds will always be deep. So I'm sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry you have to go through that. I empathize except it is my mother in the difficult role. (I often say she loves me, on her own terms, but she does not like me.) I think you are right to consider what this will mean for your child.

    As for letting them know, if you know it will be rocky, you could write a letter because you have such a strong gift for writing and it gives them both a chance to respond in their own way and time. I did that the first time. I should have done it the other times because if someone has no chance to think they can be rather cutting.

    I hope things will go reasonably well when you do tell them. Will Speedy's parents be easier?

    ReplyDelete
  19. tbean, thank you for your comments-- I didn't think that you were blithely implying anything... i just wanted to provide a more detailed picture about the state of things with my father, since I hadn't really written about that topic before!

    Carolyn! Brilliant idea. If only that letter wouldn't precipitate the Dreaded Call ;-) Of course I have my own issues that I have to face up to now...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.