So after my compulsory freak-out yesterday and the well-noted evilness of Dr. Google, I did get a call from Speedy who talked to the doctor about her "concern". The doctor clarified that she she thought everything was on target, growth-wise and in terms of a strong heartbeat (though she did not get the rate.) She said she wasn't "that concerned" about the sac, and yes, it might have to do with my lumpy bumpy ute rather than any serious issue.
All my Googling turned up that misshapen sac + no heartbeat=very bad, or misshapen sac+low in uterus=very bad, but I did find a number of academic sources that noted that without accompanying bad signs, gestational sac shape itself was not a predictor of outcome.
Guarded sigh of relief? I guess?
In any case, I feel better today, although I am annoyed that the doctor also noted I should not do any "strenuous" exercise that gets my heart rate up. Which to me is like being shackled to a radiator in a closet for an indefinite period. I don't get exercise without sweat and exertion. If I am not dripping on the floor by the 15 minute mark, something is wrong. Doctor suggested walking. Walking IS NOT EXERCISE. Oy!
So thank you, thank you, thank you for all your buoying words. It is an enormous relief to have such support. Thank you.
I made an appointment with an OB on Monday and may get an interim sono as a bonus. I prefer to go the midwife route, but I am doing due diligence and checking out all the options. Unfortunately, most of the midwives that my insurance covers deliver at hospitals that I really want nothing to do with. (I am hospital-phobic, and this might be a big issue. This is for another post.) This OB is associated with a birthing center of a good reputation, which I like, and it is connected to a hospital, something Speedy likes. (She is mildly terrified of my leanings toward home birth, but is doing her best not to convey that too directly-- aren't you, Sweet?)
Oh, yeah: and the final note: I did get in super early yesterday after my squirrely sac scan and switch chairs! Whew!
I know everything's okay with your little one. (S)He's just fashion forward! Kudos on the chair switcheroo.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that things are ok with the little one!
ReplyDeleteWe tested out (aka interviewed) an OB practice at a great hospital in the area and ended up going with a midwife practice that delivers at a hospital right in the heart of downtown. While I normally wouldn't go to the chosen hospital for emergency care, I feel very comfortable with the midwives and their policies.
My DW was not a fan of the birthing center or home birth idea either. This was a nice compromise that helped her fears and gave me my happy, hippie prenatal care.
Glad to hear you've calmed a bit. Stress at this point is no bueno, so take the good news as good and leave it at that. And hey- walking IS exercise, lady. During my (very) brief pregnancy, I was still trying to pick up 50lbs of flour and my wife had to yell at me to stop. It's a hard mindset to change your routine, but you can do it. Think of it as a vacation from sweat!
ReplyDeleteFor exercise, check out Niece Pecenka's prenatal Pilates DVD. Of all the preggercise videos I've tried, it is the most rigorous (almost, but not quite, like normal-person exercise).
ReplyDeleteGlad you finally got a bit of relief at least. I hear ya about the no exercise/walking thing. They said the same thing at our IVF orientation, even while taking the stim meds! If you decide to go the home birth route, my friends just went that route and LOVE their widwives (who work in a team). Happy to pass on their info if you like.
ReplyDeleteha, I _totally_ hear you on the exercise thing (and your analogy is spot on)...Ive been trying really hard to be 'good' these two weeks, but its the hardest part for me. W says my body chemistry is addicted to the endorphins, it must be true! I am so sorry! But hang in there, it sounds like you got some good news!
ReplyDeleteNicole, I would love their info. Maybe I can at least drag Speedy to an interview to see if she could ever be comfortable with it. You can email me at kgsavoie.at.gmail.
ReplyDeleteI already got some great recs from figboiler, but the more the better. I like this kind of homework!
Thanks!
So glad to hear that you're feeling better today about the shape issue. I'm really excited for you to get that extra scan (and accompanying second/extra opinion). Good luck finding a provider-place of birth combo that works for you.
ReplyDeleteHome birth scares me too! Speedy is not alone.
ReplyDeleteGlad she called up the doc to clarify the scan from yesterday. Take the relief and relish it for a while. There will be plenty to worry about later. Isn't that what we signed up for anyway? Worry the rest of our lives?
I'm going to add an anecdotal comment from our new RE about u/s technology. She compared it to shining a flashlight in a closet. You can sort of see things, depending on the angle, but it's an inexact science. She was telling this because my severe monthly cramps suggest the possibility of fibroids, even if they weren't detected by the u/s.
ReplyDeleteThis metaphor is relayed in to echo a few of the comments in the previous post suggesting that most pregnant women probably have irregular sacs.
Really, even now, who knows what's going on down there?! I'm sure it's easier said than done, but as long as your body makes more HCG and the little one grows and has a beating heart, I would assume all is well in the womb.
Have you checked out this site (in case you have a boy) - http://jewsagainstcircumcision.com/ ?
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you are interested in home birth or birthing center options, Mothering (the website associated with the magazine) has some good info (they also have a queer parenting forum as well).
First, Im soooo glad you switched chairs! lmao. I hope you and Speedy are able to come to a compromise, and I agree what wonderful homework. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDelete