Monday, April 19, 2010

Still Beating!

So I met my prospective OB today, who I really, really liked. She is very straightforward and yet at the same time calming. "I won't sugarcoat things," she said. "Some people do not like that, but what can I do?" Then: "You look nervous."
The practice is small-- 4 doctors, and deliver at a birthing center or the attached hospital, according to the needs/desires of the patient. They have a low-ish (22%) c-section rate, and even if you do not qualify for the birthing center because of risk factors, they do advocated for their patients' wants, and emphasize "natural" and "low-intervention" births according to their patients wishes. In short, I am 80% sold, especially given the lack of viable other options around me. (And I have determined that despite my aesthetic and idealistic preference for a home birth, I do have two risk categories-- my age, and history of uterine surgery-- that probably make it impractical.

She gave me a bonus scan and Speedydot is measuring .78 cm (not even a Cheerio!), 6w5d, and there is still a fluttering heartbeat of about 140bpm. In a lovely orb-shaped sac.

I still have virtually no symptoms (am in fact scarfing a tomato-and-cream-cheese-and olive-spread sandwich one-handed while I type) and the light light-brownish spotting I had for a couple of days made me convinced that something had gone horribly wrong.

But I am still, incredibly, in the game.

Other than the light brown spotting (which I did not mention for fear of freaking Speedy out, thus raising my stress levels and inducing a miscarriage), we had a fabulous weekend-- one of the rare ones where we had no plans other than to be with each other. We pottered around the house, fixing things, taking care of long-overdue projects, enjoying the days. We even went into the city (a major PITA for us Brooklyn dwellers on the weekend) and had gelato and decaf cappuccino in Little Italy, and bought me a fabulous new pair of Fluevogs, indulging my once-a-decade super funky, awesomely clunky, expensive shoe habit:

18 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good visit, and what sounds like a great weekend. I love having no plans (except for the part where I get anxious when I have no plans. Hmmm...) You just reminded me that I wanted to get a new pair of Fluevog's myself! Not like I need another thing to spend money on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love those shoes!

    So happy to hear that Speedydot is doing well and fluttering away. The center sounds really good- similar to where we chose to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - sounds like a great appt. Wonderful growth and heartbeat. You are very, very, very much in the game still!
    We had our u/s this morning also. :)
    Love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your little pre-cheerio is still beating strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect growth, perfect heartrate: sounds like the dot is just fine!! Excellent news. And the OB also sounds like winner. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for all being well! It's quite a rollercoaster ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a good scan! And I had no idea they made fluevogs in infant sizes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay on your visit! p.s. love the shoes. fluevogs (okay and purple docs with pink laces) were the only way to express myself with my uniform in high school. love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you've found a great OB! It must be reassuring to know that you'll always get an honest, un-sugarcoated answer from her. Congrats on a perfect scan! So glad to hear that little Speedydot got his / her sac all rounded out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those kind of weekends too, and it sounds like it was capped off by a great visit and solid scans! Whoho!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im so glad that things are going great. She sounds like a good ob, and I hope she continues to work out for you! Love the shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad to hear it.

    spunky shoes btw.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the flutter. Good news all around, and kick-ass shoes to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news about the heartbeat. If you can grab any of those moments of breathing in and enjoying this--hang tight to them and soak it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not even a Cheerio?? Too cute! Glad you had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a good doctor. And I'm glad to hear that Speedydot is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.