Thursday, April 15, 2010

Heartbeat? Yes. But "irregular sac". Hmm...

So, we went in for the 6 week sono today, and we saw a heartbeat, but forgot to ask the heartrate. I could not see it on the sono printout, and asked Speedy to call back and find out (since I am already at work.) The doctor also mentioned she was "a bit concerned" because the sac was irregularly shaped, like a canoe. Maybe it was due to the surgery, she said, "but we're not out of the woods yet." The good news is that everything is progressing as it should: heartbeat, and measuring at 6w1d. I just can't get excited about this yet. It is still far too tenuous.

Anyone else have an "irregular sac"? I googled of course, and it seems that irregular sac+ absent or weak heartbeat = bad, but irregular sac on its own might not indicate anything.

Ughh! I hate this part!

25 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie, I am so sorry that you did not get unequivocal good news today. I know you really needed some confirmation that all is well. Like you though, I am heartened to find that the hb was in the expected range and that the growth was on target. I would imagine that the odd gestational sac could be the result of so many small things that should resolve uneventfully. Do you get another u/s in a week? I would certainly advocate for that just to set your mind at ease sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think we got a heart rate at 6 weeks, I think we just saw the fluttering. But yay! the little heart is fluttering! I don’t know what to make of the irregular sac, but it seems like everyone is so different at that stage. I’ve got my fingers crossed that it’s just a normal variant. When do you get a follow up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I get another follow up in a week. I suppose because the gestational sac is largely informed by the terrain around it, and my uterus is probably lumpy with resdiual septum tissue and scarring from the surgery, it might not be a big deal, but I will be glad to get this nail-biting phase over with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray for heartbeats, but sorry the news isn't entirely reassuring. do you have a follow-up date (that i can obsess over)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you already have a good explanation (the shape of your uterus) for the "irregular sac", I would think it's nothing to worry about. How exciting to see your little one's heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had some advice to give, but I don't. The only thing I can offer is to stay away from google! lol Google is the devil. ;)

    I hope it all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, can't you get a break already?! Three cheers for the heartbeat. As for the sac, ditto on Pom. Seems like you've got a good theory and it's all going to turn out just fine. Hope you get to finally enjoy this pregnancy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like this is one of those examples where too much information is a bad thing, I bet every woman has a slightly 'irregular' sac -- what is 'regular' anyways. While I have nothing to base this on, a strong heart-beat and on-target growth seems to outweight an irregular sac. And it sounds like you have a good theory of explaination. Reguardless, BOO on the worry. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. no knowledge of the sac issue, but the early heartbeat does sound encouraging! i hope next week's appointment puts your mind at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't google!!! it will only stress you out.

    congrats on seeing the heartbeat. it is an amazing experience. just hold tight til next week and enjoy every day. try not to fret.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigh, sorry for the continuing nail-biting. I have no knowledge of the irregular sac subject, but I do know the most important thing right now is that heartbeat. Fingers crossed for more reassurance the next go round.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why can't anything just be easy on this process?? I think the HB news is great! As for the rest--step away from Dr. google! I really hope your ute is the explanation and everything is A-OK!
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! YAY for heartbeat! That is great news. As for the irregular sac, I am sure I would be stressing out like crazy if it were me, but from where I'm sitting now I agree with Pom - there is a logical reason for why it might be funkily shaped which should give you a little peace of mind. I'm sorry you have to stress out for another week about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate this part too. I don't understand why things can't just go smoothly for a little while. I'm really, really hoping that the irregular sac turns out to be nothing to worry about - really, really, really. I think that the heartbeat and the on track measurements are great things.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. My personal theory is that you've just experienced a preview to age three, where your kid insists on dressing himself funny. I'm sure everything is fine! The heartbeat is a very good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate this too. Man.... GREAT news about the heartbeat though and hoping for a more solid story about the sac soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great News on the heartbeat, and the fact that you are growing on schedule. I like Christen's theory about the sac. Im sorry you have another week to worry, I wish things could be easier for you I truly do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish it could be all celebration and no googling, but know that you've got an enormous cheering section pulling for you. I'll be thinking about you as you await the follow-up ultrasound and hoping that it yields reassuring news. (I think it will, for what that's worth.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's really fabulous news about the heartbeat, and speedytot measuring on track. I'm sure the "irregular sac" will turn out to be nothing at all. Ultrasound machines are cool, but they're not perfect. It really is hard to see things accurately on them sometimes. I had issues when my OB thought the sacs were measuring at different sizes. And how many bloggers have been told that they have one good sac and one unviable sac, but then go on to have a perfectly normal twin pregnancy? I really do think everything is going to be absolutely fine. It's perfectly normal to worry until your next ultrasound when you get confirmation that everything is okay. Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great great news about the heartbeat. Not too informed about sac shape myself, I would focus on the great h/b and not the sac. The waiting thing is tough, but if anyone can do you, it's you, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry that it's not all straight forward for you. Hooray for the heartbeat. It makes sense that the sac may be a bit irregular considering the surgery you've had. Good luck for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christen's theory is certainly the one I'm going with (besides your uterus shape being the culprit, of course!).
    This IS such a tough trimester, isn't it? I feel all your stress and know it myself. We're not even scheduled for our first scan until Monday!
    Keep your chin up though - A good heartbeat and on-track growth, I think those are both causes for celebration. :) Dr. Google is evil and you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the first chance I have had to catch up on your blog and comment. I am so insanely happy for you. I am glad you got to hear your little one's heartbeat even if there are concerns. There is so much you can't control in this...just take good care of yourself in whatever way helps relieve the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carolyn :) !! Ihave had a note on my desk for weeks now to e-mail you. I am glad to hear from you & promise said e-mail very soon.
    xox
    K

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm really late commenting on this but believe me I know how much the first tri sucks and I'm still here. That's probably no comfort - sorry. I have to say that the gestational sac of our baby that made it was definitely canoe or even banana shaped and no- one said a thing about it. The sac of baby b was nice and round but b didn't make it. I think you gave good explanations of what to thought it might be.
    I really hope that you can get some reassurance next time you see speedy baby:)
    and as for the exercise - I don't have your issue - being a couch potato this last two years of IF but from what I've read it's really best to take it easy on those heart pumping exercises. That must make you feel a lot stir crazy I know. My doc said swimming, walking and pre natal yoga - but for me that's plenty challenging.
    Good luck and I hope you can soon relax:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.