Monday, October 13, 2008

Birthday Musings

Yesterday was my birthday.

Today I think birthdays should be done away with. Not because I'm excessively vain (just hit 36, and aside from the waning fertility window, don't really much give a sh*t, for anyone wondering) but because like New Year's Eve there is a preposterous expectation of something momentous, something delightful to take place, even when there is no corollary effort or even desire. It's this horrible destined-to-disappoint aspect of the day that makes me cranky from the get-go.

I am not a birthday diva. I do not want surprise parties or flowers or grand gestures. But there is a part of me that is conditioned to expect a certain level of doting, a certain amount of calls and cards, especially from certain people*-- even though at the same time I am well aware of how ridiculous and meaningless it is, and I refuse to admit that I am invested in it-- until it turns out that certain people* don't call, I get more bills than cards, and I have huge empty hours of the day to fill by myself-- especially when I am feeling tender and ouchy from surgery... then apparently I just have a full-fledged melt-down.

Poor gf. She weathered it the best she could.
Stupid day.

*E.g., Mom & Dad.

UPDATE: Oh boy! I was feeling so sorry for myself when I wrote this I forgot to say that some very lovely things did indeed happen on my birthday, and I am grateful for:

* a walk in the sunshine with gf
* passionfruit tartlets from Sweet Melissa
* new cookbooks from ex-across-the-hall
* triple lemon tart from Ladybird
* a fabulous bibimbap dinner with three of my most favorite people in the world, gf and M&D, which I only vaguely remember but I know was wonderful
* chocolate and wine at the Chocolate Bar.

For those who expressed sympathy for my birthday ennui, I really appreciate it your warm thoughts.... I just feel a little abashed now that I see from the distance of a few days and meals that I was much too full of self-pity to remember how much gratitude I have for the abundance of wonderful things in my life.

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, happy birthday!

    I'm feeling so much of this same thing today as I turn 33.

    And I've never felt so nothing about a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday!!

    I'm so sorry that some people missed your birthday (me included). I think as we get older birthdays are one of those things that we like to pretend don't matter anymore. But they really do. I'm like you, don't throw me a surprise party...but at the same time it hurts not to be celebrated a little.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.