Well, I been thinking it's about time for some good ol' confessional blogging. Speedy's been gone for...five days, and counting. She's been down in FL taking her veterinary acupuncture exam. (She passed!) But Irene, that bitch, has messed up air travel and now Speedy's cooling her heels in Ocala while I deal with a post-illness baby, three dogs, four cats and the household crap all by myself.
And so ("so, so, so, here's ANOTHER good game that I know..."*), it's come to this: the fur jar.
You see, once upon a time, I was a wee bit on the anal side of clean. And then. Dogs, cats. Baby. You know...
And now, well, I do the best that I can. And sometimes that means, instead of vacuuming with a needball baby screaming and tugging on my pants the whole time, I turn the fans all the way up and collect the furballs from the corners, stowing them in the trash.
But this weekend, things got a bit more, um... hairied (snig), what with Speedy in Ocala 'n' shit....and so, once, instead of putting it in the trash, I accidentally kind of stuffed the furball I collected in a jar I had put on the counter to go to recycling. And then another, and another.... and now, I have The Fur Jar.
When I saw it on the counter this morning, a glass jar full of fur-- ugh!-- I remembered that my own mother used to mortify me with The Tick Jar, which she partially filled with alcohol in the early summer and put on the mantel. Then all summer long she would collect ticks from the dogs and pickle them in it, until at the end of the summer she had a half inch or so of ticks preserved in this unholy amber-colored marinade...
And I know that one day The Boy will probably regale his friends with stories about the Disgusting Fur Jar (since I think the idea is a total keeper!) And I got to wondering: what are YOUR unholy housekeeping habits? C'mon, dish me!
*bonus points if you get the reference.

Thing One: That was the funniest blog post I have read in a long time. (Reminds me of the caterpillar filled tennis ball can incident when I was a child.)
ReplyDeleteThing Two: I totally got your reference. :)
Well that is disgusting, but not as disgusting as a jar of pickled ticks! I think my grossest habit might be letting the dog lick my breakfast plate and then leaving it on the floor all morning. Or maybe the not cleaning habit is my grossest habit. Hope Speedy makes it home safe soon!
ReplyDeleteGot (and love) the reference... and our unholiest cleaning habit would probably be not cleaning for long stretches of time. Does that count? We'll work our way around the mess before we'll clean it, and after awhile it'll stress one of us out enough (usually me) that the whole house will get a big scrub and then it's back to square one and the cycle starts again. We're not unsanitary or anything.... but we are pretty darn messy. (ah, the things you admit on the blogosphere).
ReplyDeletefalathwen, holy cow, what an image!! Were they tjhe hairy kind? Do tell...
ReplyDeleteThe fur is so familiar. We have a grey cat, Zoe, and I swear she's trying to clone herself. When the cleaning lady came last month, she literally had an asthma attack just from sweeping the floors with Zoe's fur everywhere. That's right: we had so much fur we gave the cleaning lady an asthma attack (we're really not that messy, I swear).
ReplyDeletewe are hit or miss on cleaning (hit: sweeping, miss: bathrooms), but our worst habit, probably, is leaving cat vomit on the ground until morning. we've got one barfer, and sometimes it's just too much.
ReplyDeletei think i'm going to try that fan-furball trick, though, even if i forego the jar capture...
I'm starting to sneeze just looking at the picture! Col used to be totally OCD about cleaning the apt (which was nice in some ways, but totally stressed me out most of the time). Lately though...not so much. Sometimes I leave dirty dishes and snotty tissues and such around just to see how long it'll be before one of us can't deal with it. God help us when this kid gets here...
ReplyDeleteThe fuzzy kind. Gypsy moth to be exact. As I recall we planned to bring them to school for show and tell. We had them in a tennis can with holes in the lid on the mantle overnight. Somehow it fell off and the rest is history. :)
ReplyDeletebeen reading some dr. seuss have we?! theo loves it!
ReplyDeletewow, the pickled ticks..that is like, seriously nasty. I guess our grossest habit is letting the dirty laundry, including wet washcloths, pile up to serious smelliness on top of the washing machine. sometimes these also include pooped-in underwear. gross.