Thursday, August 4, 2011

So it begins....

Closed-door meetings without me.  Boss refusing to make eye-contact.  Awkward hellos in the kitchen.

Really?  I have been here four years and have never been ANYTHING but professional and pleasant.  I can't explain this, because I truly believe my boss was a great boss-- until now.  There must be something I am missing that would explain this current weirdness.  As it now stands, I cannot WAIT to walk out of here, because this is just hellishly awkward and I don't know how to take it. 

The good news is, I know I will stop caring the minute I walk out the door for the last time.

In other news, Speedy's been up in MA this week exploring houses and I can't wait for the full report.  Sounds like Florence is the place we are headed, if we can find a decent rental for Oct 1.

Being single mom while Speedy was away was quite a challenge: The Boy has been super clingy and needful, refusing to be put down for even a second, which has made getting dressed and out of the house an exercise in persistence, and yes, selective deafness.  Because though he howls with heart-wrenching anguish the moment his feet hit the floor, I have to have both hands to run a comb through my hair and button my shirt.  He stops instantly once I pick him up and he is riding on my hip again.  All is right with the world.  My mom says I was glued to her hip until I was three.  I have a sense that The Boy might be repeating that pattern.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh. This just sounds awful, and yes, very strange to be happening after so much time. I'm glad you'll at least be able to leave without second guessing yourself, but it would have been nice to end on better terms.

    And yes, seems like that boy is determined to give you the same experience you gave your mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, sorry your boss is being such a weirdo. What is with people, anyway? I'm glad, though, that you can make a clean break of it. And, for certain, something better will come your way soon and you'll wonder why you stayed at this job so long anyway.

    Sorry the boy is being so clingy! Maybe time to invest in some earplugs? We're worried that we're training Juju to only sleep on us, but damned if I don't sleep a whole lot better if she's right there where I can check on her. Hmmm. I'm going to have to think that one through a bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Florence. I've told you my Florence stories, yes? Anyway, it was charming when we lived there, some years ago. I miss having hamburgers at Miss Flo's and soft serve ice cream for the walk home.

    Sorry about work. It sucked balls when I quit my office job, too. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to be obvious, but could you ask your boss what is going on? It seems extremely rude and childish of her to act like this. And to think that you haven't noticed.
    They sound like S's bosses before they got ready to fire her.
    And if you are on your way out and have nothing to lose, you could potentially score some serious points by making your boss even more uncomfortable than she appears now!
    I think the clinginess with the babe is an age thing. Isobel is the same. She is programmed to wail when I put her down or in her car seat or leave the room!
    Good luck with the plans for moving! It sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. strange how work has become like that. super sucky. at least the silver lining is it is way easier to leave.
    my boy is also glued to my hip. his sister is super content but the minute i put baby boy down the howling begins until i pick him up or he is distracted by something his sister is doing. a twin benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about work. Good thing you can leave it behind without any regrets. I am understanding the needing two hands thing lately. Good times. Good luck with house hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. bummer about the boss, but i agree that you should call him out and ask him what the hell is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when the work environment gets awkward. One of the worst feelings. But glad to know you will be on your way outta there soon!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.