So my boss came into my office at 4:56 yesterday afternoon and said, "I'msorryIcan'tsupportyourideatotelecommutesorry." and left.
His official reason? I "need supervision", which, when he said it completely threw me, because 1) I most certainly do not; and 2) NEVER before has he ever expressed any issues with my performance at all.
And then I realized that the sole subjective criterion of our company's new telecommuting policy is that employees seeking that arrangement must not need supervision. All other criteria are objective and true of my position (does not need to attend meetings, has a "thinking/writing" position, etc.) So his claim is bogus, but it's the only objection that he could come up with.
I just. Don't. Understand. My boss has been absolutely wonderful-- flexible, personable, warm and funny. I thought that his personality combined with the telecommuting policy would have made our transition an easy adjustment. I could keep us insured and paying the bills while we settled into our new life in our new home. Now, not so much. We have to reimagine the whole scenario.
It'll be okay. We will figure it out. But this is a total bummer.
On a separate note, the prospect of never working in an office again is unbelievable freeing. I am pushing 40. It is time for a second career. One of my closest friends is a political documentary maker. My SIL is an Emmy-nominated wildlife documentary producer. Writing and researching for political/wildlife films? Yes, thank you. I think that sounds very good. And with the financial freedom of zero debt... why not??
ugh. what a tool! i think looking at the bright side, like you're doing, is the best idea. remember, MA has lots of health insurance options since it's the law here - there is a site where you can compare all the options. writing for film sounds like a great plan.
ReplyDeleteARGH! that is infuriating.
ReplyDeletebut! brave new world! sounds very exciting.
ugh. sorry your boss is being an ass, but the new ideas sound wonderful. you go girl!
ReplyDeleteWell that sucks. I think bosses get funny about telecommuting. Our management has really mixed feelings on it (even though they work from home plenty).
ReplyDeleteI agree that this is a great opportunity, though! I can't wait to hear the exciting thing you figure out!
What the heck?! What a jerk. I know things will work out swimmingly for you, though, and you'll find something spectacular to do that doesn't involve writing conservative drivel (which I think you mentioned in the past? Could be my sleep-deprived mommy brain...).
ReplyDeleteLAME! But it sounds like you'll be able to make the best of the situation, anyway. Remind me when you're jumping ship. I was hoping to make it to ny before you guys move.
ReplyDeleteArgh...lost my comment. I was just going to say that telecommuting is touchy in most offices. Actually, even having flexible hours can be a major issue. I am sorry that did not work out though since it sounds like it came close.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I can absolutely picture you researching and writing films like that. Perfect fit. :)
Lost my comment twice. Darn. One more time:
ReplyDeleteI am sorry telecommuting did not work out, but it is a really touchy subject in most offices. Hopefully in the future it will be easier to do. On the other hand, writing and researching that sort of film seems like a perfect fit for you.