First a big warm, congratulations to Poppy and Cat & Gayby on the arrival of their twins-- and to Love Invents Us for their little Yogi. I am looking forward to hearing more from all of them as their new adventures unfold!
Today I am being a bad partner instead of a bad blogger for once; Speedy is downstairs cleaning out "her side" of our bedroom. The side that I am willfully blind to, the side that I do not have to walk through or near to carry out my daily activities. This is where she practices her hoarding tendencies. Books, papers, pens, defunct electronics, old cell phone chargers, notebooks with two or three scribbled-on pages from god-knows-when, notecards, pictures, post-its with vague scrawls, endless tchotchkes.
She is begging me for help as she has filled three under-bed drawers, a night stand, an entire bookshelf and a corner of our room with this detritus and has finally realized how bad it has gotten. I am refusing to go downstairs until it is done. I believe in tough love. I believe in making the addict face the consequences of their disordered behavior. I also believe I have been a very bad blogger of late.
So here I am. We have had a very productive weekend. We went on a hospital tour of the hospital where I will 80% be delivering. (It's a hospital, which pisses me off, but they are very midwife friendly, my midwife has a long-standing relationship with them, and they have very nice birthing rooms. And never once on the tour did the woman who led it refer to "dad" or "husband", but said "support person" and "partner" throughout. On balance, it seems to be our best bet.) We took care of some long-delayed errands. We found a mastiff (oops) wandering the street and found him a fantastic rescue placement and are confident he will get a good home. We bought a used co-sleeper for $25. We met with a financial adviser. We ate amazing and copious amounts of pie with some fellow ttc-ers from blogland. All in all, a great weekend.
Now at 24+ weeks, I feel Speetus flipping around in a most reassuring way. Usually I never have more than an hour or two before I feel some thumping and bumping, which is fantastic. I told a friend of mine, who is dealing with the terror of a symptom-free first trimester, that I went straight from worrying about losing the baby to worrying about having the baby.
But lately, there has been less terror and more joy at the prospect. Sure, Speedy and I have a lot to figure out about how to manage the day to day reality of taking care of a new person, but the thought of holding, feeding and loving this baby-- or the image I have in my mind of Speedy doing the same-- is pretty heart-melting. Perhaps it is the new-mommy bliss that Figgie and Bao are in the midst of, but somehow I am (almost) convinced that we are going to SO love this change, even with all the challenges it will bring.
And now, proof that things are growing... (24 weeks and 3 days down; 15 weeks and 4 days to go.)
Sorry, Olive-- no bra today (they are all in the wash ;-))
* Or, "Crazy Horny Pregnant Lady", as Speedy has taken to calling me for reasons I am not going to into here (but suffice it to say that Speedy has identified the upside of the pregnancy-related hormonal swings...yes, we had a verrry nice weekend.) Anyone else find themselves randier than usual?

Well, it is fantastic to hear you sounding so positive and cheerful about Speetus! That is quite the respectable bump you have there and I can only IMAGINE the relief and reassurance hourly movement can provide! I hope Speedy's cleaning leads to even more amorous bedroom time! My wife is more than accommodating to my ocd organizational tendencies, although I still find her "piles" from room to room. Our rule is, I'm allowed to straighten the pile and make it neat, but not to move it or "process" its contents! :)
ReplyDeleteNo horny pregnant lady for me. I think if I had a tongue (or any other body part) in my mouth, I would vomit on it. So yeah...that umm...significantly cuts down on the horny pregnant times for us so far. :(
(he he, I'm assumed that now my word verification is 'under')
If you are interested in forming a "crazy horny pregnant lady" club, I'm in!
ReplyDeleteI, too, love that constant wriggling and thumping. I especially love it when I'm just lying there, reading or whatever, and I see my belly pop up out of nowhere. It's getting realer and realer...
Haha on the tough love on hoarding! Glad she's cleaning up for ya. ;)
Yes, randy but always exhausted also! How cruel, don't you agree? :)
ReplyDeleteLook at you popping out. I love the baby belly. You look awesome. I, on the other hand, cannot get enough carbs. Watch out bagelries (is that a word?)...
I can't we have only 15 weeks left.... seriously, that's a bit crazy!
your partner's side of the bed sounds just like mine, she's always got it piled high with books, crossword puzzles, etc!
ReplyDeletelove the belly shot!!
that pie was insane, wasn't it? i am plotting ways to "accidentally" find myself outside blackbirds again sometime soon.
ReplyDeleteLoving the belly, and the second tri horniness lol. I remember it well on the non-pregnant side (stock up now for those newborn days!). Glad the hospital tour went well and they were respectful- that's so important. I hear you on the need for organization, so she gets no pity from me hehe
ReplyDeleteAw, you sound great. Embrace your Crazy Horny Pregnant Lady: you're allowed. :) More joy, less terror - I like it! We need a little of that mindset. Baby joyjoyjoy.
ReplyDeleteBoo - no bra shots for me (that sentence makes me sound like a lecherous old man, but I'm leaving it just the same.)
ReplyDeleteFern just bulldozed her bedroom pile this weekend too - it's lovely. I'm not a neat freak or anything, but Fern definitely crosses a couple of lines when it comes to her piles.
I'm glad you had such a great weekend and I'm glad you're feeling joy about Speetus joining you!
Gotta love the second trimester!! ;)
ReplyDeleteFantastic belly!!!
ReplyDeleteYour description of Speedy's side of the room and your tough love cracked me up. Too funny. I'm big on tough love too.
I wish I could say I had the same awsome pregnancy symptoms you do! My body unfortunatly decided to stop working completely when it came to sex. There was nothing I could do to convince it to even try. It was very frustrating so enjoy your luck!
I just started on this parenthood adventure but I have to say it is everything I hoped it would be and more. I can't wait for you to have that little face staring up at you and grunting as it breastfeeds. Its pretty awsome.