
[Programming note: I have been brewing on a gestational-type post, but am not ready yet. In the meantime, please enjoy these random tangents.]
Speedy and I have the most ghetto-ass jerry-rigged "screen" door ever, and one that frequently is left ajar, what with all the comings and goings of our pack of dogs. Our back yard faces the unkempt back lot of a rental building, which is used by various strays, human and otherwise, for various unsavory purposes. It is a mosquito-breeding bog of filth back there beyond our little fence.
So it is usually around this time of year I start my homicidal mosquito-hunt missions that invariably occur in the middle of the night when I have been bitten, and, in the course of trying to fall back into an itchy sleep, I hear that incessant and maddening drone ("ZWEEEEEEEEEE!"). I will leap from the bed, turn on all the lights and start maniacally scanning the room for the little fucker. And my success rate is very, very good, as evidenced by the various blood-hued smudges on walls and ceilings during the summer months. Sadly, NO ONE, least of all Speedy, really appreciates my skillz in the moment.
And now I read this:
When scientists compared pregnant women with their nonpregnant counterparts in a Lancet study in 2000, they found that the pregnant women attracted twice as many mosquitoes. The study noted that the pregnant women exhaled more carbon dioxide and had higher body temperatures, allowing mosquitoes to detect them more easily.
Watch out world. Mosquitoes. Must. DIE.
Poor you! And poor V, too. That girl attracts mosquitoes like no one I’ve ever seen. She will literally be covered from head to toe and I’m standing next to her w/ nothing. And now this… you guys need to sleep under full mosquito nets.
ReplyDeleteOoh yuck. I hate those little bastards.
ReplyDeleteyour mosquito hunting behavior sounds perfect reasonable to me. even laudable. but then, my mother often said she had me just so there'd be someone in the family the suckers liked more than her -- and i've said more or less the same to Sugar.
ReplyDeleteugh! the mosquitoes love me too, so i feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteI've been there. Oh I've been there. I feel your pain. I hear the buzz in your ear. Get em Shroe!
ReplyDeleteOh my god, you and Col must be the same person! And god help me when I actually am pregnant. If I'm attracting mosquitos I'm quite sure one of us will be sleeping on the couch...
ReplyDeleteYikes. That does not sound promising for you, or for my (hopefully still pregnant) wife when we go visiting family back east later this summer. I think I'll not mention this to her.
ReplyDeleteGo kick some blood sucking ass! I hate those little fuckers.
ReplyDeleteKill! Kill! Good luck.
ReplyDeletei. hate. mosquitoes.
ReplyDeleteyou go on utilizing your mosquito-swatting skills, girl. they got your blood, so the only thing you can do is get R-E-V-E-N-G-E.
Ugh .... nasty things, and that noise while i'm trying to sleep is like nails down a blackboard for me! Still, we don't really get them in the Uk, so maybe the horror of them is intensified for me when i'm on abroad as i'm not used to them!
ReplyDeleteWanted to stop by and say Hi, and thanks for nipping over to my very bare blog! Check back in October when hopefully, i should have something to say!
I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now, and I like the "randomness" of the posts :)
Well, I'M quite impressed by your mosquito squashing skills. I vote for getting some mosquito netting too.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I hear you on the mosquitoes. We have tons of them in Alaska! It's because we have permafrost and the ground it sort of perpetually boggy. It's a little better in the city, but they still suck. (Haha, pun not intended.)
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Do you have one of those battery powered fly swatters? Mine gives me a lot of satisfaction. :)
oh, that's just swell...they already loved me before being a pregnant lady. so much for may au naturale product use, because those buggers do not stay away with citronella oil only - i don't care what the package says!
ReplyDelete