I feel so guilty about my spotty posting of late. Please don't abandon me! I actually have anxiety about this bad bloggy behavior, but Speedy has been working or away every single weekend since New Orleans and that means I am fighting furballs on my own (not to mention the million projects we have going on-- I spent all day Saturday, for example, cleaning out Speetus's room and consolidating its contents into the extra closet we just had put in.)
Anyway, 15 weeks and then some, and all seems to be okay. My belly has started to bump out a bit more, though nothing like the majority of what you see when you google images of 15w3d. No, no, no-- not yet. But I did spend a good portion of Sunday triaging my clothes into what could and could most certainly NOT be worn any more, and then grouping them into time-delimited sections of the closet ("two more weeks, maybe;" "a month on the outside;" "two months, max;" and... "are you kidding me?!?! Am I really going to wear this?!")
I have had a little set back with my insurance: turns out they terminated their contract with the one and only hopsital with a birth center remaining in the city. No one told me this. I found out by an accident of Google. After calling a friend and talking about it for a couple of minutes, then crying on the couch for a few more minutes, I found one-- count 'em!-- midwife in the city that accepts my insurance who is associated with a hospital that doesn't make me want to run away screaming. I figure with a birth center option, my best bet for avoiding unnecssary interventions will be a midwife. Miraculously, I was able to score an appointment with her tomorrow, and I am just hoping that she seems like a good fit for me. Otherwise, I have no idea what to do-- my OB accpets my insurance until August 5th, but obviously the sooner I find a new provider the better.
Speaking of my OB, I am not sure I would keep her even if I could-- I appreciate her no-nonense attitude but when I came down with a UTI last week (that's another story!), she wrote a prescrition for Mac.robid and said, "You might get a warning label on this from the pharmacy for pregnant women-- don't worry I prescribe this all the time!" When Speedy called her for some clarity, she was equally dismissive. My own research convinced me it was fine to take, but no-nonsense=good; no-questions=bad.
So I realize I owe some people a dog food explanation. Yes, I do cook for my dogs-- I will post a recipe (super easy) soon. It is cheaper, better, and way safer than most commercial food (Speedy & I started doing this after the Chinese pet food debacle, when Speedy treated a number of fatal cases of kidney failure that came from eating the contaminated food.)
For now, I have a summer salad suggestion that got me through the weekend while Speedy was away on her acupuncture course and I was too hot and tired to actually apply heat to food (otherwise known as cooking.) This salad is a great meal (with protein-- bonus!) It is sweet and salty and tangy and nutty and perfect. Best thing about salad is you use what you have on hand, no need to run out anf buy a bunch of stuff, as long as you have a reaosnable assortment of fresh fruits and veggies on hand.
Salad
2 fistfuls of greens-- your choice (I like mesclun)
1/4 small red onion finely chopped
1/2 pint of grape tomatoes sliced lengthwise
1/2 pint of fresh blueberries (the smaller the better, not those giant flavorless mutants.)
1/4 cucumber, chopped
1/2 firm not-too-sweet apple (Fuji or Mutsu are my favorites)
1/4 avocado, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces and scooped out
2 ounces mild hard cheese (I like piave), in 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 C walnuts, toasted (I dry roast in a cast iron skillet)
1 fistful of bean sprouts (or pea shoots, or whatever)
10 (or so) fresh mint leaves, sliced thin
Toss.
Dressing:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cloves crushed garlic
salt & pepper
Pour your vinegar; SLOWLY drizzle your oil in, constantly and quickly whisking. When fully emulsified, add the rest of the ingredients. Adjust to taste.
I would have taken a picture, but I consumed it all on the spot.
Don't apologize for not posting all the time! It happens :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you got Speetus's room situated :)
The buump will show up when you least expect it!!
Yummy salad!
ReplyDeleteGlad you found AN option for delivery. I'm sure you were freaking out there for a bit.
Oh, and Nutella didn't "pop" until about the 18-20th weeks. Don't worry, there's plenty of time for you to sport a big belly ;-)
Don't feel guilty about not posting! Obviously you have tons going on. :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the provider search! It saddens me that so many people have such a hard time with this. I hope the midwife you found is a good fit.
I feel the same way about the inconsistent blogging. However, it seems like at the this point in our pregnancies things have calmed down. Past the worrisome 1st Tri and onto the babymoon period...not much to report. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm totally interested in what you're cookin up for the animals. It was the crockpot that I thought was so funny. I actually used to feed my doggies an all raw diet which I prepared personally. (The current pup doesn't get the same treatment however!)
Sounds like you've got things almost sorted already! Isn't there just an endless list of things to do?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the salad recipe - even though it's more crockpot type of weather here I file it away for a warmer day.
15 weeks – how exciting is that! Loving the update and excited to try that delicious salad. Never would have thought about adding blueberries. YUM.
ReplyDeleteNo worries about not posting often. You've got a lot going on.
ReplyDeleteI would love the dog food recipe. We feed all our babies high protein (over 42%) gluten-free dry food (Innova Evo) and it's fine for the cats who eat a tablespoon each twice a day, but gets super pricey for Mr. I-inhale-a-cup-of-food-in-seconds-at-every-mealtime.
Yet another masterful and creative dish idea. I am *so* making that salad. Cheers to your impending bump!
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you! I was wondering how you're doing, and happy to hear you're well, albeit crazy busy. That salad sounds delicious. My acupuncturist told me to stop eating salads (raw foods in general) about a year ago and although I definitely miss them, my stomach clearly does not. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteI hope Speedy stops traveling soon!
Cheese in salad is a good thing. So glad to hear things are all going well. Even if the birth centre option is out, your midwife sounds lovely.
ReplyDelete