Thursday, February 11, 2010

Work woes

You know, I was being extremely productive at work today. Until 4:38. Then I hit a wall.

You see, I had a snow day yesterday and took last week off as a staycation so Speedy and I could organize closets, shred mounds of paper, go through all the drawers and dark corners in the apartment and cull every last shred of excess from our lives. I love a good purge and we did very well. The only big organizational task we have left is organizing the boxes of photos and letters which we don’t know how to handle. Photo boxes and jettison the albums? What do you do with all those angsty love letters and introspective screeds from friends and ex-lovers? Do you trash ‘em? I am thinking next time I go to my parents giant house in Vermont with a largely unused attic, I will surreptitiously squirrel a few boxes up in there and free up the precious cubic feet of closet space we anticipate needing for speeytot’s gender neutral and low-impact wardrobe of smart-ass onesies and, eventually, teeny tiny khakis and jeans.

But anyway, I was talking about work.

Between the last week’s staycation of purging and catharsis, and yesterday’s snow day (and my convenient forgetting to bring home the files I was working on) I am swamped at work, so I have been super-productive. Never mind that the freaking hormones have packed on eight pounds (eight pounds, people!!) since November, I have no time to go to the gym when I have podcasts to tweet about and press releases to distribute. I am a one-woman media-relations extravaganza, and I am tireless. And I am pretty good.

So. tomorrow is my annual review. Oh no—please don’t get excited on my behalf! Despite the fact that all my quantifiable measurements (placements, ad value, etc.) were up by an average of 20% in the last year, my raise is going to be a big fat zero. My raise is: “Just be grateful you HAVE a job to complain about.”

At least that’s what I thought until I got my new list of objectives from my director (who is lovely, but straining under the work of a department that should be three times as large as we are). Turns out my raise is going to be in the quantity of work expected of me. My new objectives include the equivalent work of adding another part-time staff member. And not 10 hours part-time. I’m talking 25 hours. I’m talking… too much.

I’m talking too much about it because my head very nearly fucking exploded. WHERE am I going to get this time? And HOW am I going to be paid for it? I don’t have a climbing-the-corporate ladder job. The bonuses at my organization—back when we got them—came in the company-wide format of, “Here’s $250 and two drink tickets for the holiday party! Thanks for your efforts!” No, I’m serious and I’m seriously pissed. If not a raise, can we have an assistant for the department? Like, just one—we can share? Someone to make copies and post press releases and make spreadsheets? Someone who can take the Fed Ex out besides me?

Oy, oy, oy….

Ugh, so here I am Blogger Crankypants (on a break from ttc) boring you with cry-me-a-river drivel about my professional woes because I have no tales of pee sticks of follicle sizes or obnoxious nurses (and no updates on the insurance sitch, though Dr. B. is supposed to be calling me tonight to talk about filing an appeal on my behalf.)

I think that until I hit my next cycle, I will limit myself to food blogging because this work blogging is not even interesting to me.

I will start with last night’s fresh-made baba ganoush with herbed flatbread. Speedy took a picture. I will post when I get home, with recipes. 4:57. Time to blow this joint.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Crankypants, I'm sorry this hasn't been a good couple of weeks for you. Corporate America, right? Are you planning to stay at this job once Speedytot comes along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So can you say to your boss - here is a list of the projects I have, here is how much time I have, can you please help me prioritize because it's obviously not humanly possible to do all of it. What would you suggest I concentrate on? Spread out the work on her desk and have her figure it out. And do it all in a faux friendly collegial problem solving way. Like - here's a puzzle, let's solve it together. FUN!!!!
    SOrry it's getting to you - it's crazy - we have all these people who are unemployed and broke and all these people who are overworked and not exactly rich either. Maybe we should all just work part-time for a living wage - hmmmm - call me a socialist if you like:)LOL
    PS this is tireegal using my DPs account. shhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, your job sounds frustrating and exhausting. Nothing like barely keeping up and then having even more responsibilities thrust upon you. That sucks.

    I do love your description of the babe's gender-neutral wardrobe, of which I will expect many pics when the time comes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry Ms. Cranky. Over-worked and under-paid is always a bummer. Someday I'd like to make a career change and become under-worked and over-paid. Wouldn't that be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how to say "that seriously SUCKS". As if there weren't enough stressful things going on in your life right now. The universe is testing you, for sure. I hate those tests, but I'm sure you'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crappypants. I love CyberSue's strategy. Take it to the boss and let her see what the hell is going on. Puzzle solving work priorities, what could be more fun! Here's to not letting it get the best of you and to food porn, I mean, um, food blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear of all the work woes. I sincerely hope you find that cloud with a silver lining out there somewhere.

    It seems we are having some sort of weird parallel existence on opposite sides of the globe....on a TTC break, blogging more about food than our hormones (although I am convinced the two are intricately linked!)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.