Monday, February 8, 2010

When in Doubt, Cook

I was pregnant and now I am not. I have a job, but the company is in an upheaval. I have an offer on my apartment at $55K below asking.

But here's something solid: I love to cook.

This weekend, after we gorged ourselves on Dexter, Speedy and I had my good friends and their children, my godkids, aged 2 years and 2 months, over to gorge on good food.

I made this delicious bread (it really works!), spinach-ricotta gnudi (like naked ravioli-- yum!) with a tomato-mushroom sauce of my invention, arugula salad with black pepper vinaigrette dressing (from a fabulous blogger) and slices of parmigiano reggiano , my own version of roasted beets with goat cheese and walnuts, and to top it off, individual tarts** featuring this heavenly lemon cream, fresh whipped cream, fresh ripe mango, blueberries, and a sprig of fresh mint.

I was so proud of me & Speedy for pulling off a whole start-to-finish production for our friends-- and everything turned out so well. It was just what I needed.

My beta is now zero. I can start again as soon as I get my period which I hope is fairly freakin' soon, but I expect it will be the end of the month. I have until then to fight with Aetna. Part of the problem is that my RE put the claim code as "unspecified procreative services" instead of infertility services. Big whoops.

**I used a Cooks Illustrated recipe for the tart shells, but you need a login for it. If you want the recipe, ask & I'll post it in the comments.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good weekend for you guys. I'm glad you had that.

    Regarding the Aetna fiasco, can the claim be changed now or is it too late? And is your RE going to change the code in the future? If not, can you find a new RE who will give you the infertiity diagnosis?

    I think my diagnosis is "low sperm motility." Low as in no sperm at all. Or, she might have been joking about that and given me "unexplained infertility." I'm not really sure, TBH.

    That diagnosis is precious. Would it be worth a little shopping around in these next few weeks for a new RE who will give you the diagnosis that you need?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a delicious meal!! :)

    good to hear the beta down and you dont have to wait before starting up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Unspecified procreative services"? It sounds like you're trying to get pregnant with a puppy or 10 alien beings. How strange. I am only glad that your beta is zero because it means this will not be prolonged and you can get going again quickly. Keep having fun in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn that meal sounds great! I'm sorry about the wait and disappointment. Hoping you're able to cycle again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a delicious evening! I, too, love to cook away the time. So glad to hear that your beta is back to zero ad you can start again as soon as AF shows up. You know your body knows what to do now...so here's to having an awesome third try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum! sounds great. i bet you had fun devouring all your hard work. glad to hear that you are full speed ahead for this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuuuum. That pasta-less ravioli dish looks delicious! Sounds like you've gotten to a better place, which is good to hear. Hopefully AF will arrive sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yep, been there. after my beta kept going up but no pregnancy happened, i definitely found solace in food (once the leftover nausea went away-damn that was cruel!). it's probably not the best way to get over it, but with a menu like yours, it's sure to work!
    here's to soldiering on...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooking our way to Calm is a common approach in our house, but we rarely come up with such a yuuuummy outcome. Im so impressed! Sorry about the wait, though, that really is the hardest part of this whole process..so.much.waiting. They dont really tell you that part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I hope you're holding up. How sucky that you have to wait another month to try again. But way to nourish yourself right now. You inspire me to break out the Barefoot Contessa cookbook!

    Oh, how frustrating about the diagnosis. I hope that identifying the misnomer enables you to patch the leak and force some resolution with this mess! Good luck. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, that sounds so yummy! Especially the dessert, I can't seem to get enough citrus these days.

    I hope everything goes smoothly with Aetna and that you're able to get that claim corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, cooking is an excellent way to get through the swings of TTC. (I always know I'm like 9 dpo when I start doing some crazy labor-intensive canning/preserving/miscellaneous homesteading kitchen project). Glad you liked the vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok.. next time you want to cook like that, please send an invite my way!

    I hope AF does show soon so you can get the show on the road already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're finding some comfort in cooking.

    Hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just catching up, and I'm so sorry to hear about your Maybe?-Yes-then-no. That must have been quite the emotional roller-coaster. I'm thinking of you and wishing you so much luck moving forward. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm great at eating my way to comfort and truly envy those who can cook their way there too. Here's hoping auntieflo comes in just as soon as you get that insurance crapola sorted out. Onward and upward! (()))

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.