So, I just want to apologize for being quiet on comments and on this blog. Nothing new to report, but I'm saving some big news (not involving conception, but related) that'll drop in about a week. HINT. Other than that, we're all still circling the runway: Speedy is working too much, Gretch is still dying (lots of tears every time I think about this), and the other animals are still eating, pooping, shedding and drooling. For those of you (and I know you're there) with a superabundance of animals, how do you cope with the baby-- one more feeding task, one more cleaning task, more laundry, more things to buy and maintain? I'm not trying to be cynical, but last week, I hit a point where I was just. slogging. through. Feeding, walking, cleaning, repeat. Every. Fucking. Day.
Sorry about the potty mouth.
I am not complaining (well, maybe a little) but really, sometimes when lifer becomes an endless to-do list of chores I feel like Peggy Lee: Is that all there is? Would a baby be Just One More Thing to take care of?
My gut says no, and that the overwhelmingness of it all would be counterbalanced by moments of simple-minded awe: "LOOK, SHE'S DROOLING!" That would make it all worth it. I know that that happens with the animals: Speedy and I will regularly deviate from our regularly scheduled moments to admire the oh-so-unique world-stopping cuteness of a paw curled over a snout just so, or one beast using the other's belly as a pillow. I have to assume that the baby would bring along similar weariness-curing benefits.
On the menu this weekend: tomatillos!! I see quesadillas and salsa verde coming up very soon.
Keely when i decided to make the changes involved in having the family and nurturing the relationship i really wanted the one thing i did was get rid of those things that took up too much of my time and money. Time and money that caused several failed relationships if you want to call them that.
ReplyDeleteI shut down my kennel of show dogs and placed all 7 adults. The two show pups i was keeping to groom for show i let go to two couples in countries overseas who had been emailing me for some time about an available show pup. The van for the shows i sold as well as all the equipment.
At this point I am officially out of dogs and it feels good. It feels good not to have my entire life revolving around taking care of them and their needs in the rain,heat,cold,hurricane. Their needs always came before mine and any woman i ever dated(big mistake).
So in answer to your question a babies needs are very similar to your animals needs in that it too will be soley dependent on you for everything even after they move out lol.It can become tedious to do it all day after day. I almost never veered from my schedule,because the dogs did better on a schedule or they became obnoxious and distructive.There was a lot of flexibility either as all depended on wether i could get a dog sitter of not for a romantic weekend,etc.
Something to consider
Thanks, Malea, but my dogs & cats are family. Your dogs were show dogs, so maybe you had a different relationship with them, but that's just not an option for me!
ReplyDeleteI get tired, yes, but would never consider not having these animals in my life.
Right you are they were show dogs but no less valuable to me then the family pet. They just had a job they were expected to do on the weekends which involved being well trained and travel.
ReplyDeleteEach was handed picked by me either as adults or bred by me.All got their house time and trips to sonics for the special occasion cheese fries.So they were and are now very well loved in homes that had to passed a screening process and home checks. All have kids who were dog savvy,because i checked, and each family was willing to feed [all natural]and discipline as i instructed.They drove or flew down to invest in making the transition a good one.
They are no less happy now than they were with me, it's just that the experiences they're having are different...boating/fishing in the Gulf with dad and 10 year old son.At Christmas and holidays i get in the mail picture greeting cards of the dogs and their new family in front of the tree or on some other new adventure. I doubt they even remember me now.
That's so great you found them such good homes!
ReplyDeleteSo Speedytot might not be a bastard? I can't wait to tune in next week to see what happens!
ReplyDeleteObviously I can't comment on what it's like to add a baby to the mix of a house full of animals, but people do it all the time and somehow find a way to make it work. Speedytot will be very lucky to grow up in a home with so many pets. I always feel sad for the kids without pets.
True. At least we'll never have the old "Moms, can we get a dog?" argument!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the news!
ReplyDeleteWe do the same thing with the kitties - stop everything to admire their napping positions or other cute things. I sometimes worry how the kits will feel about the eventual baby and I fear that everything in their lives will change for the worse when they're no longer #1. But it's an adjustment we'll all make.
I'm certain the rewards of parenthood will make the agony worth it.
We have one extremely well-behaved, darling chihuahua who doesn't mind Miles one bit. If one of the things I just said were not true (she weren't well-behaved, she weren't sweet, she did mind Miles, or we had more than one animal), I'm not sure how well we'd cope. Truth is, a baby is HARD WORK and everything on top of taking care of him can be a challenge. Based on our experiences and our threshold, I imagine taking care of an infant with a small zoo would prove difficult.
ReplyDeleteI don't have the answers, but the same question... We have 2 cats 2 chickens and a puppy and they do take up a lot of our time - not to mention space on the lounge and bed! I worry about how everyone will get along when we add a baby to the mix. But then every time we get a new pet everyone adjusts after a while.
ReplyDeleteAdding a baby to any size household is hard but I am sure it would work out. We have a "high needs" beagle and baby :} But it has worked out. We have tried to keep our beagle's schedule as much as possible and we have added the baby to her walks. you find ways to make everyone happy
ReplyDeleteI hear you on the dog and cat drudgery - it's rewarding but also tiring and never stops!
ReplyDeleteI love that Peggy Lee song - what a great metaphor!!!!
My two cents: I have found that just a little bit of help with the doggies and cats routine is very helpful to us. We have a dog walker that comes twice a week at a certain time whatever our schedule and is also sometimes available for last minute stuff and overnights.
She is not your traditional dog walker and does not work for a company but we pay her traditional dog walker prices ( for the walks but not for her overnight stays when we go on vacation - although there are other fringe benefits ). She does not have a very fun or fulfilling job, loves animals, does not have a big family and she likes to joke that we adopted her and should claim her on our taxes. We found her through a friend of a friend.I think it's about finding the right person that works for you and your schedule and pocket book. Plus it gives the dogs and cats another person to bond with and have fun with which I always think is great for them.
That would be my suggestion - if you can try that - if it's at all possible. It would help you a lot especially when Speedy is away a lot and it would get you all into a routine for when the babies come!!
Good luck! Good to see you up and about again - I have been on haitus too and my most recent post has almost the same title as yours!!!
I also posses no infinite wisdom on concurrent parenthood of fur and human children, but my gut is thinkin "the more the merrier." And please don't apologize for the poignant use of profanity, it clarifies your feelings and makes me feel less remorseful of my own filthy mouth. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteHey your potty mouth might rival mine! Can't wait to hear the big news!
ReplyDeleteOh, this is something I've been wondering about too, as we have a bit of a menagerie (2 dogs, 1 cat). Thankfully the pets are relatively low maintenance, though the dogs do behave better with more regular walks.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that once we move house after Christmas, the enormous back yard will be some compensation for the dogs - and that once I'm on maternity leave, I'll probably have more time to walk them than we do now.
And I honestly think it is a good thing for kids to grow up with pets - I think animals can teach us a lot about being in the moment, and caring for animals can help kids understand compassion, and that others have needs which they sometimes depend on us to meet.
AND - how exciting about the other development!! Look forward to hearing more news soon!
ReplyDelete