I almost feel like I should have a better story for you all, but really it was very simple. Back in march I proposed to Speedy with a stick:
The stick was a actualy a raw billet of mokume gane, a layered metal (in our case, silver, and white and rose gold) which makes a swirling pattern when it's drilled, pounded, flattened and polished....It is important to note that the metal we used was 100% recycled and reclaimed. No mines profitted from our engagement. We then, with the help of a skilled jeweler, forged the billet into our very own hand-wrought rings:

Then... we got really busy. Speedy worked every single weekend over the summer and we saw each other mostly for only an hour or two before bed every night, but finally, we found time to coordinate calendars and figured out a date to go up to Connecticut and apply for an actual, legal license. (For those of you not up on your gay marriage arcana, NY state recognizes, but does not perform gay marriage. CT is the nearest state that performs them, and conveniently, does not have a residency requirement.) Then, we scheduled a time with the unofficial big gay wedding officiant of Greenwich, CT (Betty Bonsal, if you want names), who very graciously invited us to her home to perform the ceremony.
So, last weekend, we snatched our two best friends and drove up to Betty's house....
And, because I haven't uploaded those photos yet, the ceremony and afterwards will have to come in another post.
Wow. Your engagement/ring story is amazing!! How totally awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI love how you proposed to her and then turned the stick into two very beautiful wedding rings! I'm looking foward to seeing pictures and reading more about the event!
ReplyDeletethe rings are *beautiful*!!
ReplyDeletecant wait to see ceremony pics :)
What a great idea w/ the billet and rings - it does make a great story!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the comment over at my blog - we'll see!
Congrats again!
This is such a great story already- I'm anxiously awaiting the pictures!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful proposal stick! I love the rings too.
ReplyDeleteSo lovely! Very jealous that there is a jurisdiction in your country that allows you to get married.
ReplyDeleteHow amazing that you made your own rings. Just going through a process like that is such an amazing ritual of literally forging your relationship. I'm sure Gretch would have been celebrating with you in spirit.
ps Love the pic of you eloping with puppies in tow.
I love the rings! So much better than that diamond bullshit.
ReplyDeleteGet those photos up!! Can't wait to see them! Congratulations - what a great way to do it. Sounds fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI'm workin' on it :) Our friends who took the pictures are holding the memory card ransom until we find time to get together again. This weekend, I hope!
ReplyDelete