[ I just received this text: "I quit; he cried." We are flying without a net, ladies. Wish us luck.]
These are the Days of Our Lives.
So Speedy might get fired today.
She is a phenomenal vet with more than 20 years' experience and 14 years at this particular clinic. At this clinic she gets 0 sick days, 0 vacation days. They calculate pay on this cockamamie "production" system-- i.e., she gets 25% commission on the cases she treats. A few years back, she negotiated for a higher base salary, to get away from the vagaries of working on commission like a car salesman. In the last year she has taken off 2 weeks for our honeymoon in Spain and 3 weeks' unpaid maternity leave. Because of that, her "production" has fallen below her base salary, which is none too high considering her experience and NYC standards. Thus, her boss, who views the veterinarian thing as solely a means of making money, wants to cut her pay or extend her hours. (She works 10-12 hour days, 4 days a week, takes client calls on her personal cell phone, spends untold hours on her days "off" in the clinic doing call-back and paperwork, consults with the other vets on her off hours about cases, and regularly goes above and beyond to help clients and their animals with no thought to herself or getting paid-- just to do the right thing.)
So, neither extending her hours nor cutting her pay is feasible for us, nor should he have the gall to ask! He has no scruples and no compassion. This is a man who combats the bad economy by doubling prices on routine labwork and implementing medically unjustifiable bloodwork requirements. Last year he suffered a terrible biking accident that nearly left him temporarily paralyzed-- and required three surgeries on his neck and back. Speedy and another senior vet ran the clinic while he was out for several months. And when he got back, he changed the healthplan offerings to one that would pay 90% of hospital care...or one that would pay 80%. Speedy jumped onto my plan at that time even though we have to pay more for it and it's a taxable benefit-- we are not willing to risk one hospitalization that could bankrupt us for good!
All of this is to say that there is absolutely no good reason for this other than that his business is losing money and he's looking for someone else, not him, to take the hit. And Speedy is not going to stand for it.
We are going to be fine-- Speedy can cobble together enough per diem work to float what I can't pick up while we expedite our plans to flee. But if we ever needed a boot in the ass to get us out of this city, this is pretty much it.
And... I KNOW I owe y'all pics of the boy, so....

Interesting to know what jerks they are there! Our cats saw Speedy once and she ruled (we went to the clinic other times but never got her again) but recently switched vets because it was so much more expensive than others nearby. So sorry you both have to deal with this crap! But excited to hear about your city-fleeing plans. Do you know where you're headed?
ReplyDeleteThe cat with his paw up is adorable sleeping next to the boy. What a pic! (And, I'm not even a cat person.)
ReplyDeleteI know that you sometimes need things things to happen to get you moving and normally the move is to better things. It doesn't make it any easier though while it's happening. Sorry you are going through this stress right now.
ReplyDeleteThat's bullshit and I'm outraged on your behalves.
ReplyDeleteLove the boy, the onesie, and even the cat.
Ms. DG :) Funny, I forget that this blog is only semi-private and some people actually know me & Speedy. I think you are doing what a lot of people are doing and the owner is shooting himself in the foot with his greed-driven tactics. New competition is going to shut the place down...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, yeah, we are heading to the Northampton/Amherst area and even though I can't wrap my head all the way around essentially starting over, I can barely wait!
what gall! i look forward to your next adventure outside the city but sorry it had to be on these terms. and great sleeping boy picture - the cat pose, omg.
ReplyDeleteugh such crap. sorry you're having to deal w that. hope today goes better than planned, but glad you already have an escape plan!
ReplyDeletemaybe she can try to find a job before she gets fired... that way its in progress, and if she doesnt get fired, that will just mean she will be happier at the new place leaving the jerk behind
ReplyDeleteCUTE BABY!!! I'm sorry Speedy's boss is such an asshat. It can't be fun to have that stress hanging over you both. Here's to the calm after the storm.
ReplyDeleteSeriously cute picture of the boy (and cat)! Love the onesie also.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading about your new adventure in moving (even though the circumstances suck!). Some business owners really are NOT very business savvy.
Ugh. Speedy's boss sounds like a total douche. The situation is lame, but sometimes having validation served as a steaming pile of bullshit is a great way to reinforce that we're making the right decisions (i.e. gettingthehelloutofnyc). We had muddled over moving and when a series of crappy things happened in our last city, I felt like it was KICKING us out haha. We'll prob only be here until the end of Grad school and then we plan on joining the hordes of lesbos in Mass as well (though prob closer to Boston).
ReplyDeleteFurthermore, your kids adorable :)
Ooohh, harsh. It's such a helpless feeling to know that if you have a shitty boss, it doesn't matter what your work ethic or attitude towards your job - you are still at the mercy of the boss. I hope this makes leaving easier. Our people are in the Amherst region...if you need vet job leads I could put my feelers out.
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteI would LOVE you to feel for us ;-) We are kind of going in blind-- I can transfer some freelance from here to up there (in my spare time I write for hire), but other than that, neither of us will have a "real" job. So if you know of any veterinary positions (or of any science writing/teaching positions for that matter) I would love to hear about it!
oh wow, big changes! wishing lots of luck!! ((()))
ReplyDeleteGood for Speedy! Sorry the circumstances are such crap, but I hope many fantastic things will come out of this. Good luck with your move plans!
ReplyDeletesuper cute pic of the boy and kitty! sorry to hear about the work bs - talk about ripping the bandaid off! here's to better things ahead!
ReplyDeleteWow! Although that must have been pretty satisfying, seeing him cry! He's an ass.
ReplyDeletebtw, when I read you were moving to Amherst I was a bit horrified until I realized it was MA and not NY!! lol Upstate NY is special, just saying. (;
Ugh, so sorry about all this. What a jerk. It's complete b.s. and I'm glad she can get out.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love that onesie paired with the sleepy cat. They're both squeezable!
She quit and he cried?? What?? he SHOULD be crying - the ungrateful wretch!!!
ReplyDeleteI think this is so cool I can't stand it!! Good for Speedy and good for you!!!
My S got fired / tired / conspired against two weeks ago and is now home and broke and we are so happy!!!
Of course we will have to figure it out soon, but it's so liberating!
good for Speedy - and can't wait to hear your escape plan!!!!xoxoxo
sorry for the shitty situation...but excited for your ma adventure. good luck. just think how much fun (&space) the menagerie will have in noho...
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh. so, so much good luck.
ReplyDeleteAch... I wrote two lengthy responses to this and the computer ate them. Here's hoping third time is the charm.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to say that I am sorry Speedy had to deal with this situation for so long. It eats at your soul eventually. I am glad you have an alternative.
I am rereading the Hobbit at the moment, so I am going to agree with the person above. Sometimes a situation like this is just that extra push out the door onto a new path .
I also wanted to say that the bull dog onsie is perfect on a big cheeked baby.
what. a. dick. i'll file all that away as one more reason not to use that vet (though i don't know ours is any better, of course).
ReplyDeletegood for speedy for quitting. i bet she did it in fine style, too.
Falathwen, you make me smile :) All will be ok. It's just how we get there that makes it interesting...I do recall now that you also had a big cheeked baby-- the better for late-night nibbling ;-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome story to tell!! And as someone else who wants to get out of the NYC area and head to Massachusetts...good riddance. :) Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteGood - I'm glad she made him cry! What a nasty piece of work. I'm shocked that her working conditions are legal where you live - I had no idea there was no basic minimum for sickleave. But wishing you guys all good luck for the escape plans. And it looks like Jonas & the cat are on standby to give you chill-out lessons as needed.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever commented here...but I keep coming back...lured by the excellent writing and the good blogroll. Anyway, if you're looking for freelance science writing, I might be able to hook you up. coffeeblue at bakeonebuyone dot com. Good luck on this next adventure.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Hanen. Is this crap even legal?
ReplyDeleteGood for Speedy for quitting and making him cry. Freelance work sounds so much better, especially considering she has none of the benefits you would expect (insurance, sick/vacation days, FMLA coverage) from permanent salaried employment.
Fuck that.
I'm glad Speedy was able to do it all on her terms.
ReplyDeleteShe is so going to find a better road to travel!!!
hey all you lovely ladies in blog land
ReplyDeletethanks for your words of encouragement
i feel fine about it all
and yes he is a clueless man...
sad for him really
speedy