Okay that is a terrible song, but I kinda feel like singing right now, and at 16w6d, it's appropriate. My mercury levels were well below the threshold of risk DESPITE my imprudent ingestion of tile fish (and those oysters in New Orleans probably weren't the best idea, either) and my sequential test came back with a risk of DS of 1/2300 (that's down from 1/1500 based on the NT alone.)
Since Dragon brought up her feelings about DS, I have to say that I have had to reconsider mine. I am not sure what I would have done if the numbers had been less favorable, but I do know that Speetus is not getting an amnio. The risk of the procedure itself outweighs the risk of having DS, so on stats alone I would have to decline. But what if I had a "positive" screen? Everything I have read seems to indicate that DS babies are way, way easier than "normal" babies. They are sunshiney and laid back. They will probably never scream, "I HATE YOU" in public, even though you will get stares and judgment wherever you go. But if you have the resources to get them the extra help they need in life, is it really such a terrible thing after what we have all gone through to get pregnant in the first place? This is an academic discussion for me at this point, but it is interesting how my feelings have changed.
My freshman year in college I took a gimme class called "music for the mentally and physically handicapped"-- no, not us, but we went to a school for kids with challenges and brought tambourines, xylophones, cowbells and drums and sat in class with some of the sweetest souls I have ever encountered. For an hour a week, it was like we had the gift of bringing pure joy to these students. I have to say it was lovely, and I remember the one boy with DS specifically. He always dressed in a hideous green velour sweat suit, but his happiness upon seeing us enter the class-- AGAIN!-- was unparallelled. That just means that my "risk", albeit low, is something I think I could live with, though it would change my vision of my life substantially if we were indeed to have baby with DS.
In other news-- what? Speedy and I have been speeding. We are busier than ever these days, and what with her working all the time and me being a little extra moody, the nerves in our household are wearing a bit thin at times. We always recover our senses of humor...eventually... but I am not going to say this has been a carefree few weeks. Fortunately we have Oyster (or, Boisterous Oysterous, as I like to call her) to keep us entertained. She learned to go up the stairs last week and from then on she has commandeered the leadership of our household. All two pounds of her. She indiscriminately attacks dogs, cats and people with her needle sharp teeth and claws. She has cowed even Sophie, who is 62 times her weight, and we have all learned to enjoy-- or at least endure-- her brand of fearless tyranny, as it comes in such an adorable package. I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.
first off, i actually like that song, well the whole movie so I can put up with that one :) but more importantly, I really appreciated your post! While we are still several weeks away from our first test so it is very likely that my stance would change depending on our results, I totally agree with you. Family friends of mine growing up had a son a few years older than me who has DS. He is a fully functioning adult who works with DS children. He is always quick with a joke and a smile, literally the life of the party. I am sure there have been times where it has been hard on his parents and family, but at least from what I have seen, no harder than a child with severe ADD or behaviour issues. It is politically sensitive to talk about since the screening would indicate that DS = HORRIBLE, and not to make it all rosy, but..thats life, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI like that song, too :) Although I might not like it so much when I'm trying to fall asleep tonight and it's stuck in my head >:(
ReplyDeleteSpeetus is going to be fine...that's an extremely low possiblity of DS. DS children are indeed joyful, but there are so many other issues that come into play (as you know). Anyway, I'm not going into it any more, but I'm glad that the results look good. Go, go, Speetus, go! And kitty, too.
I love all the DL sound of music peeps. I love that musical, I am not afraid to admit. I have very little experience with children with DS, but your and Dragon's thoughts have started my brain turning. Sounds like you're keeping your head despite all the things you've got going on, including that 2 pound killer!
ReplyDeleteOnly 1 short line and that song is indeed stuck in my head!! A terrible, guilty pleasure. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your perspective on DS. At Chris' former workplace most of the janitorial staff had disabilities of some sort. They seemed miserable. They were treated badly and were unhappy as a result. We've always worried about that kind of future.
Happy kittie time to you guys. :) The next little one to dominate your household will take much, much longer to grow out of this "energetic" stage!
The Sound of Music is one of my all time favorites and I'm out and proud about that fact. I even went to the Sound of Music sing-a-long a few years back...one of the funnest (and most bizarre) evenings I've ever spent!
ReplyDeleteNow that you are going on 17...how bout some belly shots? Pictures of the adorable Madame Oysterous? And her terrorizing the pack?