
Happy-Go-Lucky got me to thinkin'...and googling... and I didn't like what I found.
This might be a problem: The only generally-regarded-as-safe antimalarial in pregnancy is chloroquine, which is also generally-regarded-as-useless in most countries. Malaria is endemic in Ghana, which means those of us with no resistance are at great risk for getting it if we don't use prophylaxis.
Which, I am starting to think, may mean putting off my first IUI by a couple of more months. I don't want to do this, but I do not want to take the chance of being pregnant and taking meds that have unknown effects on pregnancy-- or risking a disease that has known and very bad effects on pregnancy.
Poo.
** Update**
I have found what I consider to be a reliable and scientific source for this.
They state that Larium (mefloquine) is generally safe in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters and unproven to cause damage in the first trimester. I have to discuss this with Speedy, but given the known adverse effects of malaria on both mother and fetus, I would think this is my best option (not ignoring the uncorroborated study that shows an increased risk of stillbirth)-- In the unlikely event that the first attempt(s) take at all. There is a highly respected travel clinic run but Columbia that I will go to to discuss all this, but I appreciate all the feedback!!
******
Yeah, I was thinking about the meds when you said you were going to go to Ghana. Also be aware that if you DO take any kind of malaria meds, you'll have to wait at least THREE months after the last dose before you can try to become pregnant.
ReplyDeleteMy GP let me know this when I went to Thailand and Burma last Spring.
For me, as we've discussed, I've never taken any meds in any malarial zones, but I've always carried a supply of Malarone with me should I contract the illness.
That's just me, but then again I wasn't in Ghana. My friend does malaria research for NIH and this was her suggestion for me. I can ask her what she would do for Ghana as the majority of her work is in Africa.
OK, I found something and...not to be a debbie downer....but you might have to choose between Ghana or holding off on TTC (again) until around Feb/March 2010 (if you take the meds)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1453165&tstart=210
Good luck with the decision!
sh*t sh*t sh*t-- yes, I would love your friend's advice. I have never gone without malaria prophylaxis, but most of my travel has been for months at a time. For just a couple of weeks, maybe I could take the chance. Besides, what are the odds that I would actually be pg at the time?
ReplyDeleteI *have* read that malarone has a short half life, and two weeks is long enough for it to clear the body. I want to double check that though.
oh girl! Thanks for doing the research! I think I am burying my head in the sand right now, and I have no information on the timing of this or the medication taken. But knowledge is power and foresight is very good to have:)
ReplyDeletePoo poo! Though, that would put us back on track with you and gf, since now we're waiting for my foot to heal before getting our own party started. I hadn't even thought about malaria meds with your trip to Ghana coming up - glad you have these peeps looking out for you! We might be headed to the Philippines again in December - guess we won't be venturing outside Manilla much, since malaria is endemic in the countryside.
ReplyDeleteDamn mosquitos ruin everything. It sucks that you'll have to hold off on the first insem, but I suppose it's better than needing to back out of the trip at the last minute.
ReplyDelete