My cat is dying. I am embarrassingly agonized over this. She has been with me for a third of my life, the most important third. We think she is at least 17, probably older. In cat years, she is ancient. She is riddled with cancer and has arthritic knees so knobby they are painful to touch. She is on subcutaneous fluids and four different medications. She has been very sick for a long time, but until just a couple of months ago, she heroically refused to let the cancer take over her body.
She is and always has been cantankerous and crabby. She has an uncanny ability to put her full weight on the very center of your nip*le as she walks over you, (and she will every time) when you're just settling down with a book. She has been known to attack dogs and strangers, darting out from under beds and coffee tables to sink a fang into an unsuspecting ankle, or launching herself off a bookshelf to the head of a terrified canine.
Now she is quieter. She still likes to lie next to me, one possessive paw stretched out to just touch my cheek or shoulder, and she still lies in the window sill all day. And every morning she still wakes us up, after hobbling down the stairs, and scrambling up the side of the bed, a climb that is increasingly difficult for her, to let us know it's time to eat. But I know the time is soon that she will not be herself, and it will be time to let her go. It is just, so, so sad I can barely see the keyboard through my tears.
That is all I have to tell you today.
So, so sorry. Our pets are family and it's just as hard losing them.
ReplyDeleteour pets are our family, no need to be the least bit embarassed at your grief. this post is heartbreaking, i am so sorry you are losing your sweet gretchen. sounds like she has had a wonderful life with you and is getting lots of love and tlc in her final days.
ReplyDeleteso sorry, it's such a hard thing to cope with the loss of an animal. their love is unconditional and your relationship with them is unique.
ReplyDeletereally, no need to feel embarrassed.
hugs.
So sorry to hear what you're going through. We certainly think of our cats as our babies. I was talking to one of our neighbors and referred to our two male cats as "the boys" and I think he thought I was hiding children in the house. Anyway, my heart hurts for you guys. Hope you're able to get lots of snuggling in.
ReplyDeleteI can tell how much you love her and I know what an animal lover you are. I'm so sorry about Gretchen. I've got two 17 year old cats myself and I understand this post so well.
ReplyDeleteBig Hugs. She's lucky to have such a devoted mommy.
So sorry to hear. Someone told me when I had to put my pet to sleep that its the "last best thing you can do for them". and one day you'll be ok with it. pets are in our hearts forever. so sorry you have to go thru it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that Gretchen is so sick and that her time is near. It's so hard to lose a dear pet and so hard not to be able to communicate to a sick one. But I'm sure she feels your love.
ReplyDeleteLots of love and hugs. Pets are soo important!!!! Don't be embarrassed.
ReplyDelete