Monday, August 10, 2009

Weekend report: Slurp, slurp, splash... nom, nom

In other news, Friday night Speedy and I attended a wine-tasting class which was taught by a sweaty and jittery speed freak whose complexion was abnormally pale and plasticine and who mumbled about "terroir" at a terrifying pace.

After class, Speedy and I hurried along 23rd st toward the subway, nattering about the teacher's freakiness when suddenly I felt a cold a slimy sploosh over the top of my toes. I looked down with dread to find that I had placed my sandalled foot into a fresh puddle of vomit with enough force to create a splash-back that went over the top of my bare toes.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Needless to say, Speedy was dispatched on a late-night-emergency-flip-flop-acquistion SpeedyMission and 45 minutes later we were relieved to disembark the train for the (relatively) civilized and (nearly) puke-free sidewalks of Brooklyn.

On Saturday, we hosted three of my best friends-- and let's face it, only friends from high school. (Oh, yes, I'm one of those: A social misfit who hung out in the back of the auditorium and tried out for school plays and chorus, but only got the role of prostitutes in the former and nada in the latter, owing to an abject lack of talent for either, despite my socialist/anti-authoritarian leanings.)

In any case, 20 years later we all convened in Brooklyn for a weekend of relatively staid imbibement of fermented grapes and indulgence in farmer's market goodies: fried squash blossoms and fresh arctic char, side of king oyster mushrooms with collard and beet greens...[nom, nom, nom! I am a master chef!]...plus endless hours of aimless chatter on all things ranging from babies to politics to art to American culture.

It was lovely. Amazing to realize how we are all pretty much EXACTLY THE SAME as we were in high school only older and nominally more mature.

1 comment:

  1. Note to self- begin wearing Wellington boots EVERYWHERE. Other than the disgusting little incident, it sounds like a very yummy weekend. I love beet greens. One day I was at the farmers market, and the woman in front of me was buying 4 gorgeous bunches of beets. She said the didn't want the greens, so the woman working at the stand just hacked them off and threw them in the trash before I could even try to claim them. Poo.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.