Saturday, June 20, 2009

post-op update

It wasn't so bad. No staples, no cutting this time. No info, either. The hospital where my RE practices is deeply impersonal and as far as I can tell, focuses solely on turnover.

After the waiting-at-the-bus-stop feeling of being sequestered in a barren room wearing only a disposable paper gown and terrible disposable socks, I was ushered through the halls to the OR where I waited, strapped to a table, for the surgeon to appear. The anaesthesiologist who had ealier gone through four veins before finding one that could work, knocked me out as soon as Dr. K. came in. I came to 2 hours later, bleeding and uncomfortable in the "recovery room," where mean nurses stake out their professional identity by seeing how rude and unhelpful they can be. I hate lying down and I hate waiting and when I want to go, I want to go, dammit. Every time I sat up, the Most Mean Nurse barked at me to lie down.

Fortunately, gf was able to slip in through the locked doors behind some other poor soul and bring me my book and cell phone so I could entertain myself after the mean nurses shooed her out and then proceeded to studiously ignore me. When I could not bear it any more, I texted gf "Get me outta here" and she came in again and I demanded to be set free. The nurse grudgingly unhooked me from the IV and I got dressed and left with terse instructions not to bathe or go to the gym or f*ck until I talk to the doctor, two weeks from now.

I'm thinking as soon as I stop bleeding I can resume my gym-going and certain other activities.

When we got home, we called the center where gf has her leftover sperm stored and are going to go bring it back to bkln next Friday.

I proceeded to watch "Milk" and when gf got back from some errands, we watched "Religulous" both of which I would recommend, though I didn't really feel that the former was so incredible as everyone led me to believe. Good , yes. *AMAZING*, no.
Meanwhile, it continues to rain and it feels like everything is mildewed: towels, clothes, furniture, dogs. Everything feels damp and dirty and on the verge of rot. Let's hope in two weeks when I get the Low Down on my Down There, everything will be set to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.