Friday, June 5, 2009

Back on track

Thanks for your comments... I haven't vanished completely it seems.

This ttc world is kind of Kafkaesque in a way that I had forgotten. Good to have external checks.

Yesterday I went back to Dr. B's for some bloods. At least I think that's why I was there. No one quite seemed to know, but that's what my best guess was so that's what they did. I thought they keep track of these things, but at least I keep notes.

Back in January I wrote "Call in A. 1 wk b4 exp [.], schd bldwk, hyscpy reV." Obviously I missed April. And May. And I was wrong about the "hyscpy reV", which I has assumed was NBD but found out yesterday meant another surgery.

"Surgery?!"
"Oh yes, but it's very simple," the 14-year-old nurse told me.
"But I already had surgery."
"That's why we have to do it. To check the scarring." Which implies that I could be in for some even more surgery if they are not happy with the scarring. This not something I want to contemplate.

Somehow I thought it would be a simple in office check with a tiny little camera and maybe some cramping, or MAYBE an HSG (hopefully this time not with Dr. Anal Probe) but no-- I got the whole call next week to schedule pre-surgery testing and "no-food-and-water-after-midnight" routine.

And then she said, "Has the doctor given your your prescriptions yet?"

What prescriptions? We thought we were going unmedicated for the first couple of rounds. When I say this, the 14-year-old blinks her huge eyes like she's NEVER heard anyone say such a mad thing.

I would have asked "the doctor" in person, but she was ostentatiously blocking the hall that led to his office with all 78 pounds of herself, as she said, "you should talk to him about that, but I don't know," clearly implying that unmedicated IUIs are just not done.

But given the surgery, no IUI is happening this month anyway, so that gives us time to straighten the meds situation out as well as get gf's sperm out of lock-up, which apparently requires a whole ream of paperwork and notarized signatures. This sperm she has, all two shots of it, has been in storage for 4 years-- at $500 a year. By the time we have paid the administrative costs to get it out, the transport fees, the nitro tank rental, and the washing fees, this will be the most expensive sperm ever. About $2000 a shot, if you count the initial acquisition fees.

Still, I kind of like the idea of going with what we have for now.

I forgot to mention in my last post that in the last 3 months, I have had 3 friends get pregnant and 2 miscarry. They are all about my age and healthy. This slightly horrifies me because although I am pragmatic about the odds of a miscarriage, I know that in reality, both emotionally and in terms of re-starting the ttc ordeal, it would be devastating.

But I suppose I should not be worrying about that unless, until.

In other news, last night we had a fabulous renovation epilogue: gf and I had our architect and our designer and her husband over for drinks last night. What we thought would be an awkward 45-minute show-and-tell and a glass of wine turned into multiple-bottle, up-till-midnight gab-a-thon. Since gf and I often approach social events with a sort of "if we must" attitude, it was a pleasant shock to find that we actually enjoyed ourself (how's that for a co-dependent construction?) in the company of others. A straight couple and a gay guy, no less. Maybe it's true what they say about lesbians after all. We rarely have this much fun with them.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your sperm has gold flecks in it for that price!

    Damn, another surgery?? Well, I guess if it's to help you get pregnant, that's what counts, but I imagine that was a big shock to you. Sorry.
    As far as the drugs...I went unmedicated for my first 3 cycles. Looking back, for the price we were paying and the time that was passing...I wished we'd gone to drugs from the starting line. Just my thoughts. I'm now firmly in the 'drugs are good' camp.
    However, if you don't want them--there's no clinic that can MAKE you take them.
    Good luck with however you make it happen!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.