Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The quiz

It's going around, and I caught it.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Had a laparoscopic surgery, went to Northern Ireland.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm always annoying vague: to live generously; to love honestly; to be in the moment. So yes...and no. And yes and no.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Mexico.


6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A plan.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Dates? No dates, but flashes: An inn with gf in New Paltz, where for 24 hours it was just us, chocolate, wine and a big tub; running a half-marathon; helping with the spay/neuter clinic in Mexico; marching in the gay pride section of Belfast's parade with gf (increasing the contingent by 50%.)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through it in the wake of a painful but loving separation from Ex, uniting with gf, trying to keep my feet under me.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Impatience.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The laparoscopic surgery was difficult and painful and very upsetting.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Ex's. She and I separated in the most compassionate and loving way I think two people can.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Three particular former friends, who amply demonstrated the limits of compassion and generosity.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, travel, pet care.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being almost in control of my life, being with gf, seeing a future that help hope and promise and love all in abundance.
The election.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Closer, by Melissa Ferrick.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Richer.

(OMFG, really?!)

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Cooking with gf, reading, running.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spending time with people I don't enjoy.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family in VT, hiking in the ice and cold.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, with gf, deeper. Also with Sophie, our biggest and latest dog.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I don't say this in any holier-than-thou way, but I have a TV but no cable and I don't watch it. I You-tubed the Daily Show a lot.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I am going to quibble on this one. "Hate" is one of those words I have been taught to reserve for genocidal maniacs. In that sense, there are no new ones that I can think of. However, in the "you're-dead-to-me" sense, yes-- the three aforementioned former friends.

24. What was the best book you read?
The Unaccustomed Earth, Jumpa Lahiri.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Cher (Late to the party.)

26. What did you want and get?
A sense of self, renewed excitement about the possibilities of life.

27. What did you want and not get?
A Vitamix blender.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
My favorite film I saw this year: Moonstruck; the greatest film I saw OF this year: Wall-E.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I took a long walk, had a post-surgery-induced tantrum, ate passion fruit tartlets with gf and bibimbop with my best friends followed by wine and chocolate. I was 36.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A job I could be passionate about.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Jeans from 2005, tank tops that gf's mother bought me.

32. What kept you sane?
Walking the dogs every morning and afternoon every day no matter what. Working out.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Obama.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Abortion bans, gay marriage assaults.

35. Who did you miss?
My friends who live too far away... from Portland and San Francisco to Northern Ireland.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
One Bethany Jankunis, person extraordinaire.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Always wear slippers when you have 8 animals.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"With every little bang, with every little push, with every little step I take, I get closer." -- Melissa Ferrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.