Bionic's post from a while back got me thinking...
Here is the first question I didn’t have to think about when I found out that I was pregnant and that the pregnancy would, despite my many worries, in all likelihood result in a baby: What kind of birth do you want?
While it was not always so, by the time I got there, the answer was imminently clear: I wanted to feel every twinge of it. I had my reasons—chief among them: control and fear. Now I recognize that these might not be the noble reasons you would associate with “natural childbirth” so while we’re gliding by that phrase let me just say, I don’t believe in “natural childbirth” unless you happen to be in a field under a full moon or something.
“Natural” implies not just unmedicated, but unmediated. And our world of fetal monitoring, cervix checks and isolettes just does not have much room in it for “natural childbirth.” “Natural childbirth” mostly happens in countries with terrible medical infrastructure where women suffer and die in far greater numbers than necessary, or are cast out of their societies altogether after the pain of stillbirth because of obstetric fistulas or worse. “Natural childbirth” is a misleading and romanticized term that hides reality like a blob of Vaseline smeared across a camera lens. You can make of the blurry shapes what you will but you will never see what was actually there. Not that there are not homebirths and places liek Ina May's Farm here, but those are by far the exception-- and neither was a realistic option for me.
Anyway. As I was saying.
Fear and control. Control and fear. Two of the same thing, actually. I was—am—afraid of losing control over my body and my wants. I was afraid of goinbg into the hospital and being railroaded into a series of procedures that I didn’t want. Fetal monitoring. Epidurals. Pitocin. Clocks ticking. Nurses bossing. Doctors chastising. My plan was to stay away as long as I feasibly could, because I was much more afraid of the hospital than of the pain. The other side of that is that I do have an unusually high pain tolerance and a quirky way of processing pain. Case in point: when I was racked with debilitating contractions for hours and the doula asked me—as I was gasping to catch my breath from the last one—what my pain level was, I considered for a moment, then said, “Eight”—because I could bear the pain. The definition of ten, which I will probably never experience, would be unbearable pain, inconceivable pain. Self-immolation: that would be a ten. Napalm. And while my contractions were "rip-roaring" (as the midwife termed them), and pushing was DEFINITELY a nine, I could bear it.
And also, a part of me, a small, incredibly stubborn part, wanted the pain. To know what that was like. To have the full range of sensation in labor and birth, just because. Just because I could. Because I might not do this again. Because I had the option to with the safety net of opting out if it became too much. That safety net was, ultimately as much a part of the experience as the pain itself. I knew I had a choice and that every moment I was making one. If it had become unbearable and the equation made the pain worse than the possible loss of control, yes, of course I would have chosen an epidural.
All that said, the hand-wringing and moralizing that goes along with birth plans and birthing classes and childbirth preparation books…it all honestly seems like a load of crap in retrospect.
What I learned from my birthing class? Never to commit to anything at 7 on a weekday evening because you will end up grabbing a Power bBr and calling it dinner and getting very sugar-crashy and grumpy by the end of the two hours, especially when they make you hold ice, (like that is anything like labor at all!) And that all those so-called "pain management" techniques were not worth the notebook paper I scribbled them on when it came to actual labor.
What I learned from the childbirth preparation books? That some people like to squat. For me, that felt like splitting in two. Ditto baths, showers, etc. Some people like it. I happened to hate it as labor advanced. Also: annoying people couch the pain of labor in new agey euphemisms, like “rushes” and “sensations” when what they mean to say is “holy mother of hell that really freaking hurts!”
Finally, I learned birth plans are useless. What you need is a supportive partner who knows how to say, “Yes, dear,” a doula who knows the midwife/OB and the hospital where you deliver, your insurance card and pre-registration papers. Everything else is a waste of everyone’s time.
I did not expect labor to hurt as much as it did—I did not expect to be the woman clutching at the wall and screaming as a contraction overtook me on the way to L&D. But there is no way to describe, anticipate, ameliorate or even remember that kind of pain. It fills your whole being until you are nothing but the feeling itself. I am glad I experienced it, because I didn’t do enough drugs when I was younger and I crave mind-altering experiences that are more befitting a woman of my age. I would do it again because it didn’t kill me the first time and in the end I think I got something out of having that experience, even if it is just to say, every time I look at the growing boy, “Damn, and I thought he was big when he came out!”
But that’s all it was and is: an experience that I chose to have a certain way. And while I could choose to have a root canal without pain relief I’d rather not. I think anyone who feels the same about unmedicated birth—she’d rather not—is making exactly that kind of choice, stating her preference not an identity or a moral standing.
Every time I think of my labor I shudder. I felt like it hurt my bonding with my son because I was in so much pain I didn't even want to hold him. I never want to experience that kind of pain again. This time I will be getting an epidural! I want to enjoy (maybe??) the birth of this baby!
ReplyDeletePREACH! oh, man, was this nice to read!
ReplyDeleteour position on all things baby so far (so very early on in the process as we are) is to avoid extremes. i want a doula, and i want to see if i can go it without drugs, but i also have no sense of how i'll manage the pain. (A thinks i'll totally wuss out, and she might be right.) my avoidance of the drugs is mostly out of fear for myself, though. i've never been in the hospital before. i've never had anesthesia before. i don't know how i react to pretty much any drug, so i worry about what it'll do to me. but the plan for pretty much everything is that we'll try it one way, and if it doesn't work out, we'll do it another way.
loved reading this post - especially the "natural childbirth" analogy to Vaseline on a camera lens - how perfect!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for posting this. It's really interesting for me to get the full range of opinions and other's experiences on this, since if and when my time comes I have no idea what I'll do! I'm afraid of the pain but also afraid of the epidural. So that doesn't leave me too many options!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot for sharing.
I can't thank you enough for writing this. Getting close to my third trimester, I am right in the middle of a pile of childbirth classes, books, advice from mothers, friends, anecdotal stories, doula wisdom, etc... and sometimes it just seems like a shitstorm that I won't even be able to try to wade through once the time comes.
ReplyDeleteIt seems that all the "tools" "plans" and "techniques" everyone preaches to you are really just interpretations of what any one woman went through in her labor, which obviously may or may more likely NOT apply to you in yours. To set out guidelines of expectation, especially with an experience that is
so unpredictable, leaves women feeling dissapointed and lesser-than. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations, but I do want to feel in control. I wonder if this is even possible.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Well well said. I very much agree with you. I was glad for my natural childbirth experience and definitely hope to do it again. I was great to have a birth center to deliver at.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a thought provoking post. Your reasons for natural birth are somewhat similar and somewhat different to mine. I HATE hospitals and think maternity care is managed completely ass backwards in this country. I believe that labor is a natural process and that my body is made for it and will work properly and not need interventions when the time comes. We'll see how it plays out, I suppose!
ReplyDeleteVery good post. It just sucks when the option for a non-hospital, unmedicated birth is taken away. You did a fantastic job.
ReplyDeleteThis should appear in a glossy magazine with several thousand readers. Seriously. You should pitch this.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that our Hypnobirthing instructor seemed awfully detached and almost bored while she was teaching us about "surges" and leading us on meditative journeys into the forest and so on. After I gave birth using almost zero of what I learned in there, I started hearing how the rest of the people in the class experienced labor, and so far everyone had an epidural or a C-section. I realized the instructor must have a hard time getting excited about "natural" birth for us when she knows so few of us will actually have it. And I did feel like it was a moral judgment thing - like I would be letting down my birthing team by getting the epidural. I know my doula would feel terrible knowing I read it this way, but she made a comment on another doula's FB status saying she "hoped she wasn't just epidural-sitting" at the birth she was attending, and it made me feel like all doulas had a collective eye-roll reaction to the word. Isn't this such a weird turn from what was considered the feminist pro-epidural "why should we feel pain if we don't have to" stance?
Regardless, I still think it's badass that you did it without drugs by choice. I'm thrilled that I was able to experience the intensity of labor, but I still thank the heavens regularly for that epidural.
lawsy, i have a lot to say on this topic, but as my time without boob and baby filling my hands is strictly limited these days, i'll just say thank you for pointing out that truly natural childbirth is not a rosy scenario -- or at least not when there aren't options for some unnatural help in a hurry in the (all too likely -- not guaranteed or even more than likely, but still all too likely) event it's needed.
ReplyDeleteif my birth class instructors had called what i experienced as bone-jackhammering pain anything along the lines of "sensation," i would have hobbled straight from the hospital to their houses to throttle them. likewise if my doula had done anything like ruby's. (and even with the epidural, her help was very needed.) instead, i want to thank them all over again for stating unequivocally that deciding to get an epidural was personal and not something that would let them down. i imagine the 4 people in the class who ended up with c-sections are similarly glad that they didn't declare those a failure, either.
ach, i'll tell you the rest over tea.
My biggest reason for not wanting an epi is that I am deathly afraid of having to give birth lying on my back. Also, the last time (2nd ever) I got anesthesia, at the egg retrieval that led to the embryo that led to our Bunny, I got really really sick. I've heard great stories about epidurals, but also horror stories about being unable to move and still feeling all the pain. Like yours, my desire to have an unmedicated birth is motivated primarily by fear. We'll see what happens...
ReplyDeleteHA! This is awesome.
ReplyDelete